Advice on a cam dribox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erickho1979

May 18, 2008
West area
Hello all,

A newbie into photography for a few months, got the most basic set of all. A canon 350D, lens that i own are kit len 18 - 55mm , and a recently bought len sigma 18 - 125mm len. I was thinking of getting a dri box for the equipment, just that there is quite a few in the market hence do not really know what to choose. So i would like to ask for advice from u guys. Rite now, my equipment is kept together in a bag for cam, is there any problem of keep it that way?

Regards.

Hello all,

A newbie into photography for a few months, got the most basic set of all. A canon 350D, lens that i own are kit len 18 - 55mm , and a recently bought len sigma 18 - 125mm len. I was thinking of getting a dri box for the equipment, just that there is quite a few in the market hence do not really know what to choose. So i would like to ask for advice from u guys. Rite now, my equipment is kept together in a bag for cam, is there any problem of keep it that way?

Regards.

if you really want your equipments to last for a long time, esp the lens, it's advisable to place all your equipments in a dry box/cabi. i used to place my equipments in the bag just like you, with a bag of silica gel @ the bottom. i was rather amazed by the rate (4 days) where the silica gel turns from blue to pink. this shows how humid the air inside the bag is. it could potentially spur fungus growth and i am sure you wouldnt want that on your lens.

there are actually a few choices for you.
1) place a packet of silica gel inside your bag and change it regularly (once it turns pink).
2) get a electronic dry cabinet. Digi Cabi 30L (DB 036) will be sufficient. $100 @ TK Photo.
3) get a dry box with an analog hygrometer. canon dry/safe box approx 10L-15L. $20 with a bottle of silica gel @ TK Photo.

Always keep your equipments in a dry box/cabi...;)
Any brand will do.
Buy something that can put all you equipment & the item you feel that you will add on in this 1 year.

Happy buying...:)

I used the sillca gel method for a while, but it was too bothersome to keep heating up the sillca gel to get rid of the moisture and repeat so I finally pony up for a real electrical drybox and so far it's been great.

Samuel

I think all dry boxes and cabinets are similar, I suppose it depends on how much you are willing to spend and which one looks more appealing to you… but don’t buy too small a storage, you might need to upgrade real soon; especially when you get bitten by BBB bugs/virus….:devil:

Always store your equipment in a proper storage, to prevent the hassle of sending your equipment for cleaning and maybe end up spending more instead. :angel:

My advice to you is to get a Dry cabinet instead a dry box....

I got a 1.5L dry box....In the beginning I tot the box is bigger enough to put my stuffs in...

But now I feel regretted of getting the dry box should have go with the Dry Cabinet..

The reason is
Cos the dry box doesn't able to let me organize my stuffs well. ;(
all my stuff since to be stacked over each other....:cry:
and doesn't give me a good layout when putting my DSLR and lens inside the box.

I own a Nikon Film camera, Fujiflim D-cam, Sony Cybershot and 450D with 2 lens...
and put all these into my box and already full and dont have much space.

Now plan to get a 100L dry cabinet instead....:sweat:
So all my stuffs can be arrange properly.

better to get a dry cabinet.......

Hello all,

Regards.

Hi erickho, a dry cabinet will be good in the long run. If I may suggest, around 70L will be fine. This capacity allows you to expand your camera equipment for a long time. :)

Any dry cabinet brand will be fine. I am presently using a Value brand dry-cabinet.

Cheers,

Something which i lifted off one of my webpage links ( still incomplete ) on DIY

What do I need to DIY a dry box for my stuffs ?

This are the following basics that you need :

1) An airtight container / box of sorts. Those with rubber seals are good. It is pretty useless to get a box that constantly allows equilibration with the atmosphere, and you silica gel will absorb the H2O in no time ( dependent on the environment humidity level ) Alternatively ziploc bags with little packets of silica can be useful if space is a premium, or for temporary keeping and transportation such as when you are on a long trip or something.

2) The dessicant. Silica gels ( Silicon Dioxide ) are the most common dessicants and can be gotten cheap. In retails they usually are combined with a color indicator. The ones I usually see turn from blue to pink after about 80% hydrated as a result of Cobalt Chloride indicator. ( some turn yellow. You have to get the color right ). I have seen some in DIY hardware shops having silica beads sealed in a mini electronic mini oven device. You just have to put the whole product in the dry box, and when the gels turn color, plug it into an AC current to dessicate. Otherwise you can cook them in an oven or a microwave - remember not to overheat past 150 degree celsius else you can render the silica gel non functional. Please note that because of the heavy metal cobalt content, it is probably advisable not to use it in your food warming microwave. There are some antifungal packets marketted in japan that release antifungals - how effective I am not sure, but I probably would not want to inhale too much of it.

3) A hygrometer. They can be gotten cheap, either the classy analogue type or the digital type. The more accurate ones can be really more expensive than a dry cabinet instead, so if you are worried buy a variety and read off whichever gives similar readings.

4) Lots of vigilance on your part to maintain the humidity of the dry box. When it is more humid, either reheat the beads or you can top up more of them.

Probably easier to get a dry cabinet

Ryan

Thanks for all the advice. Will consider using a dry cabi for the long run. But consider a budget like 100 and below, any suggestion?

Thanks for all the advice. Will consider using a dry cabi for the long run. But consider a budget like 100 and below, any suggestion?

If you are on a budget . . . why not just use a Drybox first. For myself, I have a D40 Kit with 50mm f1.8. And I store them in a dry box first with RH between 40 -50%. Will only consider a dry cab once I have more equipment. maybe in another 6 - 8 months time.

Looking at a 50-200 lens and dedicated flash.

Recently i got like 5 lens and a dozen silica gel packets (100 grams) from Hong Kong.
I was thinking of just getting a dry box 1st and see how it goes.

Theres one shop here that sell a dry cabinet like 400 sgd. Ouch :eek:

Any suggestion on what capacity of dry box to fit in all my equipment?

U can get a digi cab, DB-036 for $109 I think from digicab themselves of places like MS colour, TK foto.
think it's for 30L.

hi there althought i'm quite new to these forum, i have been looking around AMK & Woodlands for Dry Box & Dry Cabinet 30L for your info here are some of the price list that i found out, if any one knows anywhere cheaper can post also so that make my sourcing easier too.

Dry Box with Analog Meter,
Courts Wdls - $23.90
AMK FairPrice - $25.00

Dry Cabinet 30L Analog Meter
Courts Wdls- $89.00

Dry Cabinet 30L Digital Meter
AMK Hub 2nd Floor forgot the shop name - $99.00
AMK Hub FairPrice - $109.00

hi there althought i'm quite new to these forum, i have been looking around AMK & Woodlands for Dry Box & Dry Cabinet 30L for your info here are some of the price list that i found out, if any one knows anywhere cheaper can post also so that make my sourcing easier too.

Courts Wdls - $23.90
AMK FairPrice - $25.00
MS Colour AMK Central - $22.00

Courts Wdls- $89.00

Some contribution . . . comments in red

Courts Wdls - $23.90
AMK FairPrice - $25.00

Courts Wdls- $89.00

whats the brand of the dry cabinet?

Brand should be Digi-cabi.

Carrefour has a good range of sizes (I think) with 5% rebate with POSB Everday card. Spend above $150 entitles you free delivery. 60L is definately >$150.

I'm personnally using the 60L which I think is pretty well filled up.

http://www.digihub.com.sg/ProductList.aspx?Bg=1&ProductID=69

Status
Not open for further replies.