Advice on 7d mark 1 upgrade from 650D

Ponraj Krish

May 16, 2015
Pasir Ris
www.flickr.com
Planning to buy 7D used one , now i am using 650D.
Advice plz, is it worth ? and will it make any difference ? will you call it as upgrade ?

I shoot landscape , cityscape & portrait , just enthu nothing serious. not planning for full-frame due to lack of EF lens and actually waiting for next upgrade of 6D.

The only upgrade you will be getting if you do this "upgrade", is to get better handling. No image quality improvement.

If it's Image Quality that you are looking at, I doubt you will find much difference (if any) between the 2. Save the money for FF or EF lens.

**Not planning for FF ? But 6D is a FF... If it's ever upgraded, I would suspect it will still be a FF.

Advice plz, is it worth ? and will it make any difference ? will you call it as upgrade ?

I shoot landscape , cityscape & portrait , just enthu nothing serious. not planning for full-frame due to lack of EF lens and actually waiting for next upgrade of 6D.

I have both 650D and 7D.
If you are shooting portraits, the upgrade is the Soft-touch electromagnetic release shutter release, the AF microadjust and 19 AF points. I don't shoot portraits, I just take snapshots of people, but these are important upgrades to me.
If you are shooting landscape and cityscape, I would go with 650D because of
1) the tilty-swively screen for ease of viewing
2) the touch screen for making adjustments with the lightest touch
so here it is not an upgrade to me.
In terms of IQ, all else being equal, there is no difference.

Last edited:
If it's Image Quality that you are looking at, I doubt you will find much difference (if any) between the 2. Save the money for FF or EF lens.

**Not planning for FF ? But 6D is a FF... If it's ever upgraded, I would suspect it will still be a FF.

Hey thanks for the comment Daredevil & skystrike..

Actually what i meant is , i am not looking for immediate upgrade of FF even if i have budget for the body (6D) i dont have fund for good glasses. now i own EFS lenses only except the nifty fifty.
on another note, 6D old already and have all reason for a good upgrade from canon.

so after reading few reviews and both comments , i understand there wont be much difference in terms of image quality.
any ways thanks for the advice... i guess i should save money for EF lens and that will be wise option.

Actually, it's more of a downgrade from 650D to 7D if you're shooting landscape. I have 550D, 7D and 5D3. Of the 3, I like shooting landscape with 550D the most because:

1) It's the lightest.
2) It lets me use the very light 10-18mm. I don't really like carrying my 16-35mm out if I can.
3) It's much easier to use in live view mode. If you are using 7D or 5D3, to change a setting in live view you have to find that particular physical button. In 550D, everything goes to the Q button.

And it has a stable version of magic lantern, which is pretty crucial since I need about 12000K of WB to counter my Big Stopper. 5D3 only goes up to 10000K.

Hey thanks for the comment Daredevil & skystrike..

Actually what i meant is , i am not looking for immediate upgrade of FF even if i have budget for the body (6D) i dont have fund for good glasses. now i own EFS lenses only except the nifty fifty.
on another note, 6D old already and have all reason for a good upgrade from canon.

so after reading few reviews and both comments , i understand there wont be much difference in terms of image quality.
any ways thanks for the advice... i guess i should save money for EF lens and that will be wise option.

If there's really no need to move to FF, I really suggest sticking to crop body.... The cost of moving from efs to ef doesn't come cheap.

And the main diff between ff and crop (personally) is better higher iso and shallower dof. Not sure if that is worth a few thousand dollars to you.

If image quality is what you want ultimately, spend them on glasses and spend time on reading post processing techniques. I find these 2 much better investment than a new body (be if ff or crop)

Actually, it's more of a downgrade from 650D to 7D if you're shooting landscape. I have 550D, 7D and 5D3. Of the 3, I like shooting landscape with 550D the most because:

1) It's the lightest.
2) It lets me use the very light 10-18mm. I don't really like carrying my 16-35mm out if I can.
3) It's much easier to use in live view mode. If you are using 7D or 5D3, to change a setting in live view you have to find that particular physical button. In 550D, everything goes to the Q button.

And it has a stable version of magic lantern, which is pretty crucial since I need about 12000K of WB to counter my Big Stopper. 5D3 only goes up to 10000K.

Thanks Myth.. it was physiologically set in my mind that 7D is a middle level line up between the rebel and FF.. and if i dont do sports/action , i guess its not..
thanks for your view. BTW say your landscape pics .. Nice pics..especially the "Dusk" one

Don't upgrade (or downgrade) to 7DmkI, period. If you are waiting for the next upgrade of 6D, then carry on the wait and save up enough money (at the mean time) to get yourself a good lens. Actually from what I have read, you don't really have to stick to Canon's EF lenses, there are many third party lenses that produce pretty good image too... and at a reasonable price.

If there's really no need to move to FF, I really suggest sticking to crop body.... The cost of moving from efs to ef doesn't come cheap.

And the main diff between ff and crop (personally) is better higher iso and shallower dof. Not sure if that is worth a few thousand dollars to you.

If image quality is what you want ultimately, spend them on glasses and spend time on reading post processing techniques. I find these 2 much better investment than a new body (be if ff or crop)

now i seriously thinking of to renting a FF to see if it really make a BIG diff of those extra 1000$'s... as i mentioned in Myths reply i was in a mind set that 7D as a top end in Crop it will make a lot of diff... but after reading lot of reviews i end up in this forum to se if those diff are really worth for 650D user.. Thanks SS, for your valuable advice

now i seriously thinking of to renting a FF to see if it really make a BIG diff of those extra 1000$'s... as i mentioned in Myths reply i was in a mind set that 7D as a top end in Crop it will make a lot of diff... but after reading lot of reviews i end up in this forum to se if those diff are really worth for 650D user.. Thanks SS, for your valuable advice

Do you know what is the thing that makes the most difference in term of upgrading?

Don't upgrade (or downgrade) to 7DmkI, period. If you are waiting for the next upgrade of 6D, then carry on the wait and save up enough money (at the mean time) to get yourself a good lens. Actually from what I have read, you don't really have to stick to Canon's EF lenses, there are many third party lenses that produce pretty good image too... and at a reasonable price.

Thanks for your advice. after serious consideration i feel to remain calm now and wait (save money ond accumlate nessary EF mount lens ). yes i ment EF includes the 3rd party. I am planning go with Sigma 24-104 F4 or Tamron 24-70 F2.8 for my future FF body.

Do you know what is the thing that makes the most difference in term of upgrading?

i asked this question myself.my requirment is to get rid of shadow noise on my pics after post processing. so i basically need a better body which can handle this in my upgrade.

sample image : flickr dot com/photos/ponraj-krish/14090306814/

i asked this question myself.my requirment is to get rid of shadow noise on my pics after post processing. so i basically need a better body which can handle this in my upgrade.

sample image : flickr dot com/photos/ponraj-krish/14090306814/

To reduce shadow noise, a better body will not help as much as having the right shooting process in place. From your picture, it is very obvious you pushed the picture too much. You should invest more time into learning the different techniques to achieve what you want. And there are more than one road to get there. Sometimes it is easy to think that the problem it is in the gear. But most of the time, it is in your process and your shooting mindset. Plan your shot with how you are going to PP the picture in mind. So you will also plan how you will shoot to take care of the extremely wide dynamic range you are going to cover.

Based on the genres u are shooting and u mentioned u are not willing to upgrade to FF,my advice is not to change and save the money maybe to get a better lens especially L lens if u intend to get FF in future.

Last edited:

1) It's the lightest.

Landscapes is definitely better to use FF than crop,unless u are shooting mainly daylight.

Landscapes is definitely better to use FF than crop,unless u are shooting mainly daylight.

I beg to differ. It really doesn't matter whether crop or FF is used even at night.

What matters is your noise reduction and details recovery techniques are solid.

sample image : photo shoot-147 by Ponraj Krishna Pandi, on Flickr
**helped you post the image here

The scene have abit too much dynamic range to cover. I'm not sure about other brand's sensor. But as far as Canon goes, I doubt even a 5D or 1DX will be able to help in this. I guessed that in order to capture the sky, you have underexposed the foreground by at least 1-2 stops which caused the noise to be very apparent.

In this case, I doubt that there will be any hardware (filters/new camera) that can help. For these kind of scenarios, I would probably suggest doing multiple exposures. 1 to capture the highlights and another to capture the shadows. Then digitally blend both in your photo editor (e.g. GIMP, Photoshop).

I beg to differ. It really doesn't matter whether crop or FF is used even at night.

What matters is your noise reduction and details recovery techniques are solid.

oh is that true?
I have been trying a few software to clean the noise while retaining details,a few better ones even with high noise level still cannot maintain the details that iam after. If u have samples for before and after in original size,please show me. Not talking about stacking shots.

**helped you post the image here

The scene have abit too much dynamic range to cover. I'm not sure about other brand's sensor. But as far as Canon goes, I doubt even a 5D or 1DX will be able to help in this. I guessed that in order to capture the sky, you have underexposed the foreground by at least 1-2 stops which caused the noise to be very apparent.

In this case, I doubt that there will be any hardware (filters/new camera) that can help. For these kind of scenarios, I would probably suggest doing multiple exposures. 1 to capture the highlights and another to capture the shadows. Then digitally blend both in your photo editor (e.g. GIMP, Photoshop).

Thanks SS .yes i did underexposed and then removed the shadow in PP to recover the colors. later i leared about the HDR processing also.
also in above scenario i hand holded so ISO bumped up to 1600 , later i leared to carry Tipod with alsways to lowerdown ISO and slow down the shutter and increate aperture.