Advice of UV filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwitan

Nov 25, 2002
谁是你
www.liveleak.com
Got a question ...

Is there really a difference in image quality taken with a $19 tokina UV filter and a $35 Multi-coated UV filter (or even a $65 HMC UV filter).

Advice please.

need advice too

Yes. The cheaper ones are usually not multi-coated and can cause flare when shooting into the light. The glass may also not be perfectly flat and neutral, and may have some minor colour casts as well.

But between the Hoya S-HMC and B+W ones, I don't think the differences are even noticeable.

Regards
CK

No difference between single coated and multi coated filters/lenses. Cheap filter may have no coating , so check first. If a cheap filter has some colour reflection when you look at it at an agle, it has coating and is good enough, no difference with more expensive ones. CKiang is right that some cheap filters are made from plastic, avoid those as they warp over time. As long as they are glass and at least soingle coated they are as good as expensive ones! Don't get entangled in the marketing strategy of companies that makes you to believe 15 layer coating is better than 5 layers or 1 layer. The differences are there only under lab conditions, not in real life.

Some polarisers, even more expensive ones (like heliopan) has some colour casts (green), so there is no guarantee that when you buy expensive ones it is going to be good.......save money for films (or memory cards)

Hong Sien

Bought a Tokina 77mm dia UV filter from CP today, no colour reflection when seen from an angle.

So will there be a difference as compared with one with the one with colour coating or rather multi coated?

I noticed the difference in price between the coated & non-coated is almost double. Is it worthwhile paying almost double? Will the result be significantly better?

Originally posted by ckiang

[snip]
But between the Hoya S-HMC and B+W ones, I don't think the differences are even noticeable.

Regards
CK

CK... I do see a diff between B+W MRC UV & Hoya S-HMC or even their Ultra ones: there's no color shift on the B+W one but a slight yellowish tint on the Hoya's.

This is just my observation with a A4 paper and my B+W & Hoya S-HMC & Hoya Ultra UV filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.