Advice needed

StopLight

Feb 22, 2010
Lighthouse
Hi all,

i need an UWA lense for my Nikon D40 to explore for landscape shooting.

which kind of lense is highly recommended for D40 ?

Nikkor lense is way out for me due to the cost.

Newbie here :embrass:

Hi all,

Is auto focus essential for you?
For me, for landscapes, I hardly use auto focus.

Your answer sort of determines your shortlist.

Hi all,

Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 11-16 (2 most highly sought after 3rd parties alternatives to high end Nikon's) :)

Is auto focus essential for you?
For me, for landscapes, I hardly use auto focus.

Your answer sort of determines your shortlist.

Thank for the prompt reply

i totally new to photography, so is auto focus important ?

so far i never try manual focus to do my shooting....

Beside landscape shooting, what can an UWA do ?

Thank

Any different between this 2 lense ? (Sigma 10-20 / Tokina 11-16)

:sweat:

Apart from the obvious differences in focal length, here are the other differences:

1. The Sigma as a built in focusing motor, which means it will autofocus on your camera. Be sure to get the one with "HSM" designation. Tokina 11-16 is a screw drive only autofocus, meaning it will not autofocus on your camera, and will only autofocus on D90 and above. In UWA autofocus is quite useful at times because everything in your VF will look small. Not as easy to manual focus. But a lot of us landscape photographers wannabes use MF anyway. But it is up to you.

2. Sigma 10-20 comes in 2 flavors, one is aperture F4-5.6. Meaning at 10mm, maximum aperture is F/4, and at 20mm, max aperture is F/5.6. The other version is constan F3.5 aperture throughout the range. The F3.5 one is considerably more expensive and the filter thread is 82mm, which is very large and you will have a hard time getting filters for it. Tokina 11-16 is a F2.8 constant aperture lens, meaning it is also very good in low light. So if you are shooting indoors, or city life, it will come in useful. BTW the tokina's filter thread is 77mm, just like the Sigma 10-20 F3-5.6. 77mm is one of the more standard filter thread size for lenses.

You might also want to consider the Tokina 12-24mm lens which has a focus motor built in. So it will do AF on your D40.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Apart from the obvious differences in focal length, here are the other differences:

1. The Sigma as a built in focusing motor, which means it will autofocus on your camera. Be sure to get the one with "HSM" designation. Tokina 11-16 is a screw drive only autofocus, meaning it will not autofocus on your camera, and will only autofocus on D90 and above. In UWA autofocus is quite useful at times because everything in your VF will look small. Not as easy to manual focus. But a lot of us landscape photographers wannabes use MF anyway. But it is up to you.

2. Sigma 10-20 comes in 2 flavors, one is aperture F4-5.6. Meaning at 10mm, maximum aperture is F/4, and at 20mm, max aperture is F/5.6. The other version is constan F3.5 aperture throughout the range. The F3.5 one is considerably more expensive and the filter thread is 82mm, which is very large and you will have a hard time getting filters for it. Tokina 11-16 is a F2.8 constant aperture lens, meaning it is also very good in low light. So if you are shooting indoors, or city life, it will come in useful. BTW the tokina's filter thread is 77mm, just like the Sigma 10-20 F3-5.6. 77mm is one of the more standard filter thread size for lenses.

You might also want to consider the Tokina 12-24mm lens which has a focus motor built in. So it will do AF on your D40.

Hope this helps.

Hi, thank for the info provided
will do a research for the above mention lenses
i guess cost is one of the factor for me to purchase the lens

i think taking landscape photo still required a decent tripod & filters
which is going to add up my cost of spending :sweat:

Hi, thank for the info provided
will do a research for the above mention lenses
i guess cost is one of the factor for me to purchase the lens

i think taking landscape photo still required a decent tripod & filters
which is going to add up my cost of spending :sweat:

As one very good Chinese photographer once said.

If you do not have a tripod, you have no business taking landscape photos!
没有三脚架,拍什么风景照?!

Last edited:
well said...! Agree agree! :)

TS, if you mount something like a Tokina 12-24 f/4 on your D40, the total weight is probably still < 1kg, but the center of gravity of the combo is somewhere in the lens. So the moment of inertia (sorry for being technical) is quite great, meaning your tripod head might have problems holding the setup steady.

well said...! Agree agree! :)

TS, if you mount something like a Tokina 12-24 f/4 on your D40, the total weight is probably still < 1kg, but the center of gravity of the combo is somewhere in the lens. So the moment of inertia (sorry for being technical) is quite great, meaning your tripod head might have problems holding the setup steady.

what is one way to get around this? change a camera body?

what is one way to get around this? change a camera body?

Get a battery grip. A heavy one to keep the CG low.

The D40 body is very light so I doubt that will be difficult to do.

Welcome & good luck to ur lens purchase ;)