Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxlsh2001

Feb 21, 2005
Hi,

Jusst bought a new 450D from Japan, need the following advice.
Using kit lens at the moment, and in the near future, do not have any plans to buy lens.

My colleagues were suggesting to get at least a UV filter to protect the lens. Some actually suggested that using a CPL could be more useful, as it even has polarising effect. However, was warned that for kit lens at 18mm, there may be vignetting dur to average CPL.

Went to Cathay Photo@MS, and one Sales guys intro tokina UV ($12) and Tokina CPL ($35) to me. When I asked about the concerns, he said no problem at all, and mentioned that Hoya is actually same as Tokina, as the latter is the OEM.

Can anyone here advise?

Well a uv and cpl filter serves different purposes. UV blocks the sun rays entering the lens while a cpl main function is to block off reflections from glass. cpl is thicker and darker than a normal uv filter. Do bear in mind that u might not be able to shoot at night if cpl is mounted on yr lens coz it's too dark and light cant enter the lens. You will have to remove it from the lens. Anyway, you dont need a uv or cpl filter for night shoot.

I will suggest getting both filters. You will need them. I dun tink Hoya is of the same league as tokina. Hoya is definitely better and more expensive. But then, to me, since it's a kit lens, i suggest you need not buy expensive filters to start with. :)

Since you just want to protect your lens, get a UV filter and you can keep it mounted without ever needing to take it off

Cool.
That's a really fast reply.
So you mean, tokina does nto hold up well against Hoya?
I do agree that since it's just kit lens, no need to get a high end CPL / UV.

My wife sometimes like to shoot thru a window also, hence I tot that it will be good to get a CPL.

Any idea what price to expect for a budget Hoya CPL and UV filter, and where to get it? I do know there's Cathay and John 3:16.

The Tokina UV filter would do just fine. Get the CPL when you wanna do more landscapes (for the skies), shoot on waters (reduce reflections) and/or similar environment and situations. :)

Thanks for advice.
Will there be vignetting issues if i am using just a basic tokina CPL?

u should have bought ur 450D from singapore...they give u a free 50mm f1.8 which is a very good lens!

Thanks for advice.
Will there be vignetting issues if i am using just a basic tokina CPL?

No worries about vignetting on the kit with cpl. I only started seeing vignettings on my ultra wide angle, UWA lens (10-22mm). Thus with such UWA, then you start looking into slim filters or those better grades like the b+w or hoya slim. The cost goes exponentially with the lens also.

Well a uv and cpl filter serves different purposes. UV blocks the sun rays entering the lens while a cpl main function is to block off reflections from glass. [...]

A bit more precision please otherwise it's very misleading.
If UV blocks the sun rays then what is our camera capturing? UV filter block only a part of the spectrum which does not even play a big role in digital photography. That's why UV filters have become "protective filters" (great sales story, like selling insurance policies - who would say "no need for protection"?). UV filter is a piece of glass which is not really necessary when being careful and which can have negative side effects (flare, ghosting) under certain conditions.
CPL removes reflections from surfaces (glass is only one) that affect the polarization of light. Metal is not one of them, here a CPL is useless. Using a CPL always is nonsense, it cuts incoming light by about 2 stops (varies with the brand). Not all scenes and situations need the effect (read up when and how a CPL is useful) and lesser light will affect your exposure settings.
Like with many other tools: know when to use it, know how to use it, know the limitations.

i don't use UV filters at all
why pay for good glass only to put another inferior piece of glass in front

i don't use UV filters at all
why pay for good glass only to put another inferior piece of glass in front

Carl Zeiss UV filter for you? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.