advice needed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

regi-nald

hi all.. my friend recently approached me to cover their ROM,Solemisation etc..as they have a very tight budget.. &i've NEVER done wedding photog&i'd still consider myself new in every sense.. wld need all e advice i cld get frm e more seasoned photographers here.. &since its my friend's wedding + it'll be my 1st..i wana make it as special as possible..most imptly for them.. as i believe marriage is smth tt is special..

thanks in advance!!

Hi, this thread should be posted under photo biz section.

Not sure what advice you wanted, camera settings, things to shoot or composition? Things you should be aware:

a. Being comfortable with the couple is important. Since he is friend there should not be any problem with setting the mood and getting the couple warm up to you.
b. The solemnisation ceremony is very short and things happen fast. You should get yourself ready to capture the moments (eg, putting on the ring, kissing the bride, etc)
c. Other than the ceremony, the couple may have spent time and effort decorating the place. So it be good to get some details (floral arrangement, rings, deco) there.
d. There will be family, relatives and friends who are there to witness the event, good to capture some of the precious moments of them.
e. After the event you can bring the couple for a outdoor shoot in the vicinity.

Lastly, enjoy the process. It is a learning journey as a wedding photographer. Good luck.

Hi, this thread should be posted under photo biz section.

Not sure what advice you wanted, camera settings, things to shoot or composition? Things you should be aware:

a. Being comfortable with the couple is important. Since he is friend there should not be any problem with setting the mood and getting the couple warm up to you.
b. The solemnisation ceremony is very short and things happen fast. You should get yourself ready to capture the moments (eg, putting on the ring, kissing the bride, etc)
c. Other than the ceremony, the couple may have spent time and effort decorating the place. So it be good to get some details (floral arrangement, rings, deco) there.
d. There will be family, relatives and friends who are there to witness the event, good to capture some of the precious moments of them.
e. After the event you can bring the couple for a outdoor shoot in the vicinity.

Lastly, enjoy the process. It is a learning journey as a wedding photographer. Good luck.

thanks for e points2take note of..:) errr..just about everything i can get info of..be it settings, etc..
oh..i thot this wld be e place to ask around as ppl who come here r mainly wedding photographers..shld i move my post??:dunno:

get an external flash.

and see see professionals' work. cs got a lot. Ah_K aka Micheal Chan's one of them

i do hav an external flash..an emoblitz one..but i might rent or borrow a canon flash as its better..along with lenses as i hav only2..
yes yes..i hav been looking at e different portfolios to garner inspiration&tips.. altho sometimes i go "how did he get such a shot??:confused:" :bsmilie:

hey guys, please use the report thread function if you see something out of place.

thread moved. :)

hi all.. my friend recently approached me to cover their ROM,Solemisation etc..as they have a very tight budget.. &i've NEVER done wedding photog&i'd still consider myself new in every sense.. wld need all e advice i cld get frm e more seasoned photographers here.. &since its my friend's wedding + it'll be my 1st..i wana make it as special as possible..most imptly for them.. as i believe marriage is smth tt is special..

thanks in advance!!
why not ask if any of the members here willing to help for kopi money? I am sure there must be a few who would. Why not state when is the event and how long the services will be needed?

I myself would help out if i am free.

Remember to use a diffuse dome for your external flash... to prevent the harsh light on the couple's face... :)

hi all.. my friend recently approached me to cover their ROM,Solemisation etc..as they have a very tight budget.. &i've NEVER done wedding photog&i'd still consider myself new in every sense.. wld need all e advice i cld get frm e more seasoned photographers here.. &since its my friend's wedding + it'll be my 1st..i wana make it as special as possible..most imptly for them.. as i believe marriage is smth tt is special.

It's not a shame to admit that one does not have the skills (yet) to capture such important, special and precious moments. Chances are that you get a few decent shots during this, but chances seem higher that you'll get "just some pictures". Is this what you want to offer your friend? A good friend's advice and help would be to see whether there is a professional photographer doing the job for a good price that fits the budget. Check around in the forum. You could also partially make it a gift to your friend so that their budget is not stretched too much.
I have taken pictures at friend's weddings a couple of times but not as main photog. During the last wedding I had the chance to talk to the hired photog and we discussed a lot of topics. It was an eye-opener about what to take note of! There are numerous details to watch out and they can easily spoil your pictures if unnoticed and mostly they were not camera-related. And here you still ask for camera settings. I don't blame you for that .. but how can you pay attention to such details if you are still thinking about camera settings?
In addition, you need to know the exact flow of actions so that you can position yourself properly and know what to take. Sometimes it's a matter of seconds whether you can capture the moment or you have 20 people squeezing in front of you all with PnS cameras raised up.
If you still decide to go for it than do extensive tests with your equipment. Shoot inside the office or other locations with various indoor lighting. Use different settings for exposure and flash compensation. Check the white balance. The technical stuff must be clear before the weddings starts.

why not slap around a few bucks with yr group of friends and engage a proper photographer for them as u believe that wedding is something special. makes a nice wedding gift too!

u can join in too, but make sure u don't prevent the photog from doing his job.

my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.