Advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

luntut

Oct 19, 2007
Punggol
Been walking round today, and discovered this thing that I cant seem to resolve, no matter how I tweeked the settings on the cam.

2915470424_2abc703778.jpg

This image is like rather dark. if i tried to drop shutter speed, the sky becomes overbloomed.

2915469946_699ca13990.jpg

This is like another one. i like how bright the alley is, but the sky is wayyyyy overbloomed.

2915469386_78ed033977.jpg

And this too. if the increase shutter speed, the building will be alright, bt the road will be horribly dark.

plenty of other fotos that i took today which is like this.

am i missing out on something, with respect to the settings???

advice needed!!

Last edited:
Hey, this is back lighting, isnt it?
The sky is too dynamic for these photos due to the diff in exposure.
Google it... u'll get it sooner or later.

You can probably use a Grad Neutral Density filter to balance the exposure slightly.
Otherwise you can take 2 pictures ... one for the highlight and one for the shadow and then compile them in Photoshop

use an iso range of 100 and then play with ur shutter speed. change ur white balance to cloudy...

imaging the exposure latitude of the scene you shots is like an elephant,

and the dynamic range of the digital camera sensor is like a suit case,

tell me how you pack an elephant into a suit case??

quick fix, choose a time that the sun is shining on all your subjects

one area is dark because it is in shadow while the other is lit by the sun.

google HDR

A few ways to resolve your issue
- take photos during early morning and late afternoon
- use gradual ND filter
- use photoshop (see here)

use an iso range of 100 and then play with ur shutter speed. change ur white balance to cloudy...

Woah. White balance to cloudy fixes a lack of dynamic range. Wow new thing I learnt today.

imaging the exposure latitude of the scene you shots is like an elephant,

and the dynamic range of the digital camera sensor is like a suit case,

tell me how you pack an elephant into a suit case??

cut it up and pack into more than 1 suitcase ala HDR. :bsmilie:

DUDE.... no matter how you play, you can't expose a scene normally with such a WIDE exposure range....

Either you do it the HDR way or use ND grads to balance out the sky and the dark foreground.

At first thought, GND comes to mind but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't GND a bit tricky to use here since the sky and the buildings are not really separated by a distinct line?

Besides the other applicable advises given alreadly (GND, HDR, taking the shots at a different time etc), perhaps I add one more - expose for the sky, try to recover (whatever you can) the underexposed alleys in PP.

Last edited:
One more solution..expose for the sky..use many many wireless flash to light up the buildings..;p

quick fix, choose a time that the sun is shining on all your subjects

one area is dark because it is in shadow while the other is lit by the sun.

So does that mean, quite not possible to attain a well balanced photo over such a great dynamic range??

A few ways to resolve your issue
- take photos during early morning and late afternoon
- use gradual ND filter
- use photoshop (see here)

Actually those shots were taken at 4pm, with plenty of clouds in the sky. Those overbloomed skies were the ones with clouds. Those with blue skies were pretty.

At first thought, GND comes to mind but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't GND a bit tricky to use here since the sky and the buildings are not really separated by a distinct line?

Besides the other applicable advises given alreadly (GND, HDR, taking the shots at a different time etc), perhaps I add one more - expose for the sky, try to recover (whatever you can) the underexposed alleys in PP.

I did consider HDR, but it would be quite difficult without a tripod, isnt it?

DUDE.... no matter how you play, you can't expose a scene normally with such a WIDE exposure range....

Either you do it the HDR way or use ND grads to balance out the sky and the dark foreground.

Think i will try out GND one day.

does the elephant will still look like an elephant to you?? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

simi elephant ???

One more solution..expose for the sky..use many many wireless flash to light up the buildings..;p

ok. i will get all those lights from the F1 setups, and use them. should be enuff to light up those buildings... DUH. :p

I did consider HDR, but it would be quite difficult without a tripod, isnt it?

its possible to do HDR without tripod..
just shoot 1 raw image..go back and pp a +1stop and a +2stop..then combine the 3pics together for HDR..

its possible to do HDR without tripod..
just shoot 1 raw image..go back and pp a +1stop and a +2stop..then combine the 3pics together for HDR..

ooohHH!!

never thought about doing this.

will go try it out nxt time! thanks!

So does that mean, quite not possible to attain a well balanced photo over such a great dynamic range??

in principal yes, but there are many various ways to overcome that.
i will go take a photo and show you the difference about the time of day thing that i mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.