Advice needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swordwindsg

Nov 20, 2005
Hi to all here...

I am currently using a Canon S2 IS...the camera is reali great! no doubts abt it...but as time goes by, i kind of get sianz by basically two issues...

firstly, it's not very compact...though i hv been making the point to bring it wherever i go, the size of it still discourages me to take it out to snap sm pics smtimes...mayb bcos scare i will "scare" ppl ard me wif it hangg it round my neck? erm...pls dun comment tt dslr users not paiseh why shd i be k, bcos i'm referring to normal times, where everybody normally juz take pics wif pocket-sized cameras ya :nono: where it comes to a delibrate photo-taking trip, of cos i wun shy my S2 away!! :sweat:

secondly, when it comes to serious photo-taking trips, for eg the Countdown Fireworks display or Xmas lightup along Orchard Rd, the S2 performs inferiorly as compared to dslr...there ll be considerable amt of noise when taken at high ISO like 200 or 400, though this can be improved by using a lesser ISO wif tripod lah...

as a results, it seems like it's either i'm not using the S2 at its max capability (under-using it), or tt the S2 does not suit my needs...hence, i kind of feel like downgradg to a FujiFilm F11..been readg lots and lots of positive comments for the camera! though i ll lose the long zoom and IS functions, it's compact enuff for daily use and it's high ISO capability is reali handy for nite shots! upgrading to a dslr sounds great too, but mayb not timely as i'm still a student and i'm still much of a newbie yet too.. :nono: haiz...how how??

Lol, if still no marnie in pocket..go buy film SLR first! Hehh...

Well.. okay that's the problem with commercial digis, either too much..or too little... Well, if you still want to use it, why don't you try shooting stuff that would use the full capacity of the camera?

Sometimes with photography, we tend to find limitations with the equipment, when it actually boils down to our own inhibition....

Well, just keep on shooting and experimenting, and if you do want to go further in photography, get an SLR which will really bring u a step upwards to creativity and expression.

SLR?? :what: not my cup of tea leh bro... :sweat:

I started out with a digital P&S and now decided to go for film SLR to try and get more creative without that much of a heavy price tag :D The point and shoot was a good way of making me learn composition and basic techniques first before i moved on to film.

raptor84 said:
I started out with a digital P&S and now decided to go for film SLR to try and get more creative without that much of a heavy price tag :D The point and shoot was a good way of making me learn composition and basic techniques first before i moved on to film.

yep! and using a SLR will teach u the relationship bet ISO, shutter speed and aperature. mebbe its just me lah. but, with a film camera, it forces u to slow down b4 pressing dat shutter. after all, u only got 36 frames... :sweat:

nightwolf75 said:
yep! and using a SLR will teach u the relationship bet ISO, shutter speed and aperature. mebbe its just me lah. but, with a film camera, it forces u to slow down b4 pressing dat shutter. after all, u only got 36 frames... :sweat:

haha true i normally cary one roll spare just incase all the time though :D

Swordwindsg said:
firstly, it's not very compact...
sorry, i just have to say, get over it. i carry my dslr everywhere, and it comes out for all kinds of shots. normal or abnormal. :~p

secondly, when it comes to serious photo-taking trips, for eg the Countdown Fireworks display or Xmas lightup along Orchard Rd, the S2 performs inferiorly as compared to dslr...there ll be considerable amt of noise when taken at high ISO like 200 or 400, though this can be improved by using a lesser ISO wif tripod lah...
if you wanna be serious, use a tripod lah. simple.

if you wanna get an F11 instead, it's up to you. indeed a good cam, but it's strength is more in candid/street photography. i wouldn't use the F11 handheld for night shots - ?!?

Swordwindsg said:
Hi to all here...

I am currently using a Canon S2 IS...the camera is reali great! no doubts abt it...but as time goes by, i kind of get sianz by basically two issues...

firstly, it's not very compact...though i hv been making the point to bring it wherever i go, the size of it still discourages me to take it out to snap sm pics smtimes...mayb bcos scare i will "scare" ppl ard me wif it hangg it round my neck? erm...pls dun comment tt dslr users not paiseh why shd i be k, bcos i'm referring to normal times, where everybody normally juz take pics wif pocket-sized cameras ya :nono: where it comes to a delibrate photo-taking trip, of cos i wun shy my S2 away!! :sweat:

as a results, it seems like it's either i'm not using the S2 at its max capability (under-using it), or tt the S2 does not suit my needs...hence, i kind of feel like downgradg to a FujiFilm F11..been readg lots and lots of positive comments for the camera! though i ll lose the long zoom and IS functions, it's compact enuff for daily use and it's high ISO capability is reali handy for nite shots! upgrading to a dslr sounds great too, but mayb not timely as i'm still a student and i'm still much of a newbie yet too.. :nono: haiz...how how??

Err, why would you feel paiseh about carrying your S@ around? Just becasue others like to use extreme compact, which seems the rage for people who just want ot have a camera handy? If you do not think that you are carrying the S2 to show off, that should be enough, why bother with what other people think?

As with any other camera and equipment, you have to got to learn the limitations of your systems you are using, and work within that. That way, you don't have to keep upgrading. Know your equipment and how it works to get that shot that you want... it can be done...;)

Who is that female tennis star who advertised for Canon S2? I can't remember her name. BTW, she is definitely not peiseh or feeling inferior. Of course, she is paid big bucks too.

wah...why is everybody's advice the same one?? :think:

haha! true lah... well, my point is tt i'm more interested in taking candid shots for now, but one tt also allows me to play wif manual controls as well...and the F11 seems to be the perfect choice...:think: i might be wrong too lah, but the high ISO is reali tempting! the S2 though obviously a much more powerful cam, does not perform tt well under low light... :bheart:

haiz...but now wif so many experienced experts here advising me the same thg...how can i take it lightly?? :dunno: :embrass:

Swordwindsg said:
haha! true lah... well, my point is tt i'm more interested in taking candid shots for now, but one tt also allows me to play wif manual controls as well...and the F11 seems to be the perfect choice...:think: i might be wrong too lah, but the high ISO is reali tempting! the S2 though obviously a much more powerful cam, does not perform tt well under low light... :bheart:

haiz...but now wif so many experienced experts here advising me the same thg...how can i take it lightly?? :dunno: :embrass:

Normally pple upgrade, not downgrade. I think you are just under effects of the current night-shooting-fireworks-fairylights-scene-period aka countdown fireworks/light decorations 'serious photoshoot' illness. Hence the desire for faster faster faster exposure. After this period is over, and normal candids come back, 1600 iso won't be that much a big deal. How many prosumer users actually shoot with 1600iso normally? :dunno:

haiz..u might be rite bro..but frankly, i hate to take shot wif flash..so i guess the high ISO certainly will help when me taking indoor shots or even certain nite shots rite?? after all, when taking normal daily pics, how much more can a S2 aid me better than a F11 other than the long zoom?? which is only useful when comes sm bigshots' autograph sessions!? haha! :p pls kindly advise... :D

From what the threadstarter has described, the Fuji F10/11 suits his needs more.

Matching of equipment and needs should be more important than just having "better" equipment.

In terms of dim light conditions where high ISO is necessary for faster shutter speed to freeze movement, the Fuji F10/11 outperforms prosumer cameras.

hmm...anyway, in my eyes the F11 also considered as a prosumer ma rite? it has manual controls too!

anyway, can anybody tell me sm key factors which will suggest that i shd keep my S2, instead of the F11??

Swordwindsg said:
hmm...anyway, in my eyes the F11 also considered as a prosumer ma rite? it has manual controls too!

anyway, can anybody tell me sm key factors which will suggest that i shd keep my S2, instead of the F11??

S2's much longer optical zoom when compared to Fuji F11.

Against S2 : bulky and high noise level at higher ISO.

i hope you take into account F11's min aperture at telephoto.

F5.0 - F8

S2's min aperture at telephoto is f3.5

(kindly correct if wrong. thx)
sources from: dpreview

think in the end, you know your current and projected shooting needs best (i hope).

if you know what you really wanna shoot, you will know which cam suits you. if you don't know, neither can we :)

Status
Not open for further replies.