Advice Needed - Which camera for studio work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waycool

Oct 10, 2007
Have been away from photography for a while... need advice on which digital camera would you guys recommend for simple studio work...

After some reading, I'm leaning towards a Sigma SD14 or Canon 5D / 40D. Perhaps it's easier if you know what type of shots I need to make...

1732716666_8bf0126db4.jpg

1732716228_78b7572c4e.jpg

Shot these using canon g7. Just need something higher specs and a lot higher IQ not MP.

You won't go wrong with 5D when it comes to IQ and MP...

even a 400d is good enough for this type of pictures.
if you want to blow it up bigger.... 8 feet? maybe a 5d will be enough.

For your type of photography, you will want the 5D although you would be much better served by a digital medium format setup.

what's your budget? and your reproduction requirements? client requirements? if it is for roughly A4 size as is suggested by the images you attached, any current DSLR available in the market should be good enough...

if on low budget, just rent or borrow a DSLR, a 50mm lens, and thats good enough... especially if you are not gonna shoot alot of these images... or even get someone to shoot for you...

but really, it all depends on how often you shoot these images, your reproduction requirements, client, budget...

what's your budget? and your reproduction requirements? client requirements? if it is for roughly A4 size as is suggested by the images you attached, any current DSLR available in the market should be good enough...

if on low budget, just rent or borrow a DSLR, a 50mm lens, and thats good enough... especially if you are not gonna shoot alot of these images... or even get someone to shoot for you...

but really, it all depends on how often you shoot these images, your reproduction requirements, client, budget...

I'm prepared for under $5k. No need studio lighting. (my old simple setup still ok.) I've been using G7 for all my visuals... then when client approve then i go studio shoot.

If $5k possible, then i will want to go production with the images. cause its a pain to re-create the shot on a totally different setup. It's hard to say how often... sometimes i can be shooting everyday and then not shoot for a week...

I understand my limit with such a budget, but I was hoping for a camera that at least can handle up to A3 and maybe upsample for A2s. But I will still go digital medium format (at current my photographer's studio) for more critical work.

I think your budget of $5K should be more than enough...

for a "buy new" set up (no second hand items), maybe:
Nikon D80 $1400
50 1.4 $450
105 macro $1250
for a grand total of $3100

the 10Mp D80 should be good enough for A2 prints with good lenses and lighting... with money left over to get filters, extension tubes for more magnification, tripod if needed, maybe a light table for shooting products, etc.

if buying second hand camera is not a problem, maybe:
Canon 5D ~$3500
50 1.4 <$580
100 macro <$1000
for a grand total of ~<$5080

you would get a bit more resolution but at slightly greater cost and probably no warranty left on the camera... prices are estimates and of course second hand price would depend on availability and condition of camera and lenses (lens prices quoted are estimated selling price of new lenses...depending on age and condition second hand should be able to get significantly cheaper)...

personally I'ld go for the first option as that would allow me to get alot more useful stuff that would help in product shooting, as well as having the warranty for new products... and if you don't need the extra stuff, a penny saved is a penny earned... and of course buying parts of the first set up second hand would probably save abit of cash as well... but if you believe that the extra resolution might be necessary, the 5D has proven to be a pretty reliable camera on the whole...

Status
Not open for further replies.