Advice needed: Which brand should I get?


Status
Not open for further replies.

viclam

New Member
Dec 19, 2004
366
0
0
East, Singapore
jwc1.blogspot.com
#1
Hi all,
Need advice on the following. I'm interested to get a DSLR so that I can take better pics and for future travel. But presently I have some gears with me. Not too sure if they are still usable for the DSLRs.

Current Gear:
1) Nikon F-601QD
2) Nikon AF Nikkor 28-85mm 1:3.5-4.5 lens
3) Starblitz 3600DFNi Flash

4) Canon S45

Question and observations I have:
1) Looking at the gears, I'm not sure if the current Nikon lens and flash can be used for a Nikon DSLR.
2) The 350D uses same batteries as my S45 which can be useful.
3) I'm actually looking at Canon 300D/350D and Nikon D70/D50. Friends adviced me to get the Canon 10D instead if I'm going for the 300D.
4) I'm on a budget. Can't spend too much. So which system makes sense?

Hope I posted enough information for the gurus here to comment... :)
 

Lensman

New Member
Feb 12, 2002
903
0
0
47
Singapore & Hong Kong
#2
Personally, I would recommend the Canon 350D or the 300D (older version). Both I felt are good for beginners. A 18 -55 kit lens and a 70-300mm zoom will get you started. Add those fanciful lenses and accessories later, when you are more familiar with the camera's setting.

After almost 1.3 yrs, I am still not pushing my 300D to it's limit.

Why Canon ? Their Canon L lenses are just the top choice of professionals. Look at the ring side of the sports or news events , and you will see a battalion of white lenses. Those are Canon.

I did switch over from Pentax film camera, where I owned lenses from 15mm Ultra wide to 400mm prime tele lens. The Canon L lens quality is just beyond positive words and praises.
 

#3
viclam said:
Hi all,
Need advice on the following. I'm interested to get a DSLR so that I can take better pics and for future travel. But presently I have some gears with me. Not too sure if they are still usable for the DSLRs.

Current Gear:
1) Nikon F-601QD
2) Nikon AF Nikkor 28-85mm 1:3.5-4.5 lens
3) Starblitz 3600DFNi Flash

4) Canon S45

Question and observations I have:
1) Looking at the gears, I'm not sure if the current Nikon lens and flash can be used for a Nikon DSLR.
2) The 350D uses same batteries as my S45 which can be useful.
3) I'm actually looking at Canon 300D/350D and Nikon D70/D50. Friends adviced me to get the Canon 10D instead if I'm going for the 300D.
4) I'm on a budget. Can't spend too much. So which system makes sense?

Hope I posted enough information for the gurus here to comment... :)
ASAIK, I believe you can use the Nikon lense with the D50/D70, but you can't use the Starblitz flash, no iTTL, I got the D50, and I like the compactness and size, plus I got the Nikon lenses to use with it. Can't really advice you cause I don't know much about the other system.

Can try a search in the forum here, cause there are many threads discussing the D70/D50/350D/..
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#5
Go with the crowd! You will be easier to find accessories and third party support!

Regards,
Arto.
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#6
yyD70S said:
You can't go wrong with either brand.
If your friends use Brand-C, and if you don't want them to borrow accessories from you, get Brand-N. But, if you want to borrow accessories from them then get the same brand as what they have, provided they are willing to lend you their stuff. :)
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#7
viclam said:
Hi all,
Need advice on the following. I'm interested to get a DSLR so that I can take better pics and for future travel. But presently I have some gears with me. Not too sure if they are still usable for the DSLRs.

Current Gear:
1) Nikon F-601QD
2) Nikon AF Nikkor 28-85mm 1:3.5-4.5 lens
3) Starblitz 3600DFNi Flash

4) Canon S45

Question and observations I have:
1) Looking at the gears, I'm not sure if the current Nikon lens and flash can be used for a Nikon DSLR.
2) The 350D uses same batteries as my S45 which can be useful.
3) I'm actually looking at Canon 300D/350D and Nikon D70/D50. Friends adviced me to get the Canon 10D instead if I'm going for the 300D.
4) I'm on a budget. Can't spend too much. So which system makes sense?

Hope I posted enough information for the gurus here to comment... :)
What I would say is that you would probably be better off with the D70s or the EOS 350D. You can still consider the D50 but forget about the 300D. Although it is still useable, the user interface is quite crappy.

Since the investment you have put into your current gear is not a lot, you can switch system if you want. But my advice would be to stick to Nikon if you're already used to it because they have a standard sensor size and if you ever need to upgrade, your gears can still be used. The lens you have is still useable but I think if you get the body with the kit lens, you would have covered most of the range also. I believe that for the flash, you would probably still be able to use it on Auto mode but not TTL, I don't think TTL flash is that important if you know how to control the flash. Moreover, you would be used to the user interface, terminology etc. Changing brand would mean that you have to get accustomed to the new interface and a slightly different way of doing things.

The best would be to go to the shop when you're already prepared to buy either and ask to try both side by side, and see which one you feel more comfortable with and buy it. :)
 

Stoned

Senior Member
May 7, 2004
4,378
0
0
30
Changi
www.photo.net
#8
I would personally go for the Nikon D70. I feel the ergonomics and the functionality of the d70 beats the 350D although it loses out in terms of sheer resolution. Not an issue though as 6mp is plenty for non commercial usage. Canon only matches up in functionality to Nikons 5d onwards. The flash metering system never matches up at all. That being said, Canons are slightly more suited to low light work. Actually why not get an S2 pro, or stretch your budget ever so slightly and get an S3 pro? The colours would be very good for travel photography.

IMO, Nikon beats Canon on the wides by a mile, so this is a useful consideration if you intend to do a lot of wide work. Canon only really has an edge over Nikon for sports and wildlife work, this is why you see white lenses at sporting events. For travel, Nikon really is a better idea.
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#9
viclam said:
Hi all,
Need advice on the following. I'm interested to get a DSLR so that I can take better pics and for future travel. But presently I have some gears with me. Not too sure if they are still usable for the DSLRs.

Current Gear:
1) Nikon F-601QD
2) Nikon AF Nikkor 28-85mm 1:3.5-4.5 lens
3) Starblitz 3600DFNi Flash

4) Canon S45

Question and observations I have:
1) Looking at the gears, I'm not sure if the current Nikon lens and flash can be used for a Nikon DSLR.
2) The 350D uses same batteries as my S45 which can be useful.
3) I'm actually looking at Canon 300D/350D and Nikon D70/D50. Friends adviced me to get the Canon 10D instead if I'm going for the 300D.
4) I'm on a budget. Can't spend too much. So which system makes sense?

Hope I posted enough information for the gurus here to comment... :)
1) The glass can be used, if the flash supports Auto and/or Manual mode, it can be used on the Nikon DSLRs but limited to the two modes it supports, no TTL.
2) 350D and S45 I think they use different batteries IIRC.
3) I'd rather you stick with a D70, reuse your equipment and see if you like digital SLRs before moving further. 10D is obselete technology replaced by 20D and soon 20D will be replaced by xxD this PMA
4) If on budget, get a D70 with the 18-70DX kit makes more sense to me. You can use the 24-85 as a mid-zoom and 18-70DX as a WA.
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#10
Stoned said:
IMO, Nikon beats Canon on the wides by a mile, so this is a useful consideration if you intend to do a lot of wide work. Canon only really has an edge over Nikon for sports and wildlife work, this is why you see white lenses at sporting events. For travel, Nikon really is a better idea.
Actually, normally, I'd argue and fight over this... but I'll just let it go... :D
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#11
espn said:
1) The glass can be used, if the flash supports Auto and/or Manual mode, it can be used on the Nikon DSLRs but limited to the two modes it supports, no TTL.
2) 350D and S45 I think they use different batteries IIRC.
3) I'd rather you stick with a D70, reuse your equipment and see if you like digital SLRs before moving further. 10D is obselete technology replaced by 20D and soon 20D will be replaced by xxD this PMA
4) If on budget, get a D70 with the 18-70DX kit makes more sense to me. You can use the 24-85 as a mid-zoom and 18-70DX as a WA.
:thumbsup: PRO comment! :thumbsup:
 

viclam

New Member
Dec 19, 2004
366
0
0
East, Singapore
jwc1.blogspot.com
#13
lsisaxon said:
What I would say is that you would probably be better off with the D70s or the EOS 350D. You can still consider the D50 but forget about the 300D. Although it is still useable, the user interface is quite crappy.

Since the investment you have put into your current gear is not a lot, you can switch system if you want. But my advice would be to stick to Nikon if you're already used to it because they have a standard sensor size and if you ever need to upgrade, your gears can still be used. The lens you have is still useable but I think if you get the body with the kit lens, you would have covered most of the range also. I believe that for the flash, you would probably still be able to use it on Auto mode but not TTL, I don't think TTL flash is that important if you know how to control the flash. Moreover, you would be used to the user interface, terminology etc. Changing brand would mean that you have to get accustomed to the new interface and a slightly different way of doing things.

The best would be to go to the shop when you're already prepared to buy either and ask to try both side by side, and see which one you feel more comfortable with and buy it. :)
Thanks for the advice. Here's what I've to say.
1) I've not use my current SLR gear for a couple of years already. Only relying on the S45 nowadays for all travel and occasional photography.
2) Pic from S45 was ok but just not crisp enough. Thus looking back at a lightweight DSLR. (Canon 10D is out! Friend has one. Tried it. Just too heavy for travel.)
3) Took out the SLR recently (everything was in good condition) and found that I'm still comfortable and remember the functions after all these years. I just love the pics taken from the 28-85 even though the lens is heavy.
4) What's auto flash? Do you mean it will flash when I trigger the shutter? or it will vary the amount of light by itself? Mine's a simple flash that's doing TTL from the F-601.
5) I mentioned I'm on a budget. Thus thinking of getting from one of you guys who are selling your gears here. Thus side by side comparisons may not be possible.

Cheers!
 

Sep 16, 2003
457
0
0
Visit site
#14
viclam said:
5) I mentioned I'm on a budget. Thus thinking of getting from one of you guys who are selling your gears here. Thus side by side comparisons may not be possible.

Cheers!
Go to shop for side by side comparisons. Go to buy and sell after you make your decision ... :sweat:
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#16
viclam said:
Thanks for the advice. Here's what I've to say.
1) I've not use my current SLR gear for a couple of years already. Only relying on the S45 nowadays for all travel and occasional photography.
2) Pic from S45 was ok but just not crisp enough. Thus looking back at a lightweight DSLR. (Canon 10D is out! Friend has one. Tried it. Just too heavy for travel.)
3) Took out the SLR recently (everything was in good condition) and found that I'm still comfortable and remember the functions after all these years. I just love the pics taken from the 28-85 even though the lens is heavy.
4) What's auto flash? Do you mean it will flash when I trigger the shutter? or it will vary the amount of light by itself? Mine's a simple flash that's doing TTL from the F-601.
5) I mentioned I'm on a budget. Thus thinking of getting from one of you guys who are selling your gears here. Thus side by side comparisons may not be possible.

Cheers!
Auto flash is where the light sensor is on the flash, you set the aperture and ISO, the flash will determine how much light is enough.

If you're buying second hand gear, then I think it should be ok to ask to view the gear first before deciding. But if the price difference is not too much, you might want to top up a little more for a new set because you'll never know what the previous owner has done to the gear.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom