Advice needed - replace 18-70mm & 28-200mm with a single 18-200 VR?


Status
Not open for further replies.

vroom

New Member
Mar 8, 2004
88
0
0
Singapore
Hi all,

need some advice.

Would it be wise to replace both my 18-70mm and 28-200mm Nikkor lens with a single 18-200 VR?

i like the 18-70mm and it does have it's uses esp on the wide end but i find that when travelling, i use the 28-200mm most of the time as I love the reach it gives me.

i find that changing lens when travelling/on walkabout is not convenient and dust/sand is a problem when doing it outdoors.

i'm seriously thinking of getting the 18-200mm VR to reduce all of the above concerns I have.

What do you guys think?
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
Seriously, your answers have already been answered and can be found here.
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
36
vroom said:
Hi all,

need some advice.

Would it be wise to replace both my 18-70mm and 28-200mm Nikkor lens with a single 18-200 VR?

i like the 18-70mm and it does have it's uses esp on the wide end but i find that when travelling, i use the 28-200mm most of the time as I love the reach it gives me.

i find that changing lens when travelling/on walkabout is not convenient and dust/sand is a problem when doing it outdoors.

i'm seriously thinking of getting the 18-200mm VR to reduce all of the above concerns I have.

What do you guys think?
If you feel that you won't need the 28-200 on a film body anymore you can sell it. If you have the 18-200, you can do without the 18-70.
 

cyberkid

New Member
Apr 2, 2005
132
0
0
Oh no.. Another of me~:bsmilie:

Hi vroom, how r u?
 

jamestan

New Member
Aug 16, 2004
1,726
0
0
53
Singapore
vroom said:
Hi all,

need some advice.

Would it be wise to replace both my 18-70mm and 28-200mm Nikkor lens with a single 18-200 VR?

i like the 18-70mm and it does have it's uses esp on the wide end but i find that when travelling, i use the 28-200mm most of the time as I love the reach it gives me.

i find that changing lens when travelling/on walkabout is not convenient and dust/sand is a problem when doing it outdoors.

i'm seriously thinking of getting the 18-200mm VR to reduce all of the above concerns I have.

What do you guys think?
One-lens-to-rule-them-all. Good idea
 

espn said:
Seriously, your answers have already been answered and can be found here.
I thought you gonna say MTL, buy buy buy!!!?

Vroom, if you got the budget and you find you need the 18-200, then go ahead. if you are already using the 28-200 most of the time, is there a need to get a one lens for the wide angle, that is if you don't use the 18-70 often? It depends on your needs. There are already many discussions and reviews on the 18-200mm

Personally, the 18-200 seems nice to have. I have the 18-55 & 28-80 & 70-300, and most times I use the 18-55. I don't intend to get the 18-200, since I don't really find it a hassle to change lens when needed. perhaps I will know better after my next overseas trip?
 

vroom

New Member
Mar 8, 2004
88
0
0
Singapore
espn said:
Seriously, your answers have already been answered and can be found here.
I'm not asking for a "yes/no? please decide for me" kind of answer.

I've been reading the various posts abt all the 18-200VR and it's pros n cons.

I was asking for subjective advice on the subject, like "what would you do if you were me?".

I've stated my preferences and my needs. Are there any additional factors to consider besides what I mentioned?

I'm asking this cos I'm relatively inexperienced and I'd like to hear about the experiences of the "lao jiaos".
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
vroom said:
I'm not asking for a "yes/no? please decide for me" kind of answer.
I quote thee -
vroom said:
Would it be wise to replace both my 18-70mm and 28-200mm Nikkor lens with a single 18-200 VR?



vroom said:
I've been reading the various posts abt all the 18-200VR and it's pros n cons.

I was asking for subjective advice on the subject, like "what would you do if you were me?".
There's a problem here, because what I would do if I were you, will be different from what you will do if you were you. Geddit?

The two glasses are different in their own areas and specialisation, I can assure you however -
vroom said:
i find that changing lens when travelling/on walkabout is not convenient and dust/sand is a problem when doing it outdoors.
Dust will still be a problem regardless whichever glass you use.



vroom said:
I've stated my preferences and my needs. Are there any additional factors to consider besides what I mentioned?
You already know the answer :D -
vroom said:
i'm seriously thinking of getting the 18-200mm VR to reduce all of the above concerns I have.


vroom said:
I'm asking this cos I'm relatively inexperienced and I'd like to hear about the experiences of the "lao jiaos".
If you really want my thoughts, I won't get either. AF-S 17-35, AF-S 28-70 and AF-S 70-200VR would be the ones . :lovegrin: Me no lao jiao btw, me just a crapper + lurker ;)

Worst sceanario, I'd keep the 18-70 and 18-200VR. I know of someone who has the 18-70, 12-24 17-55 and 18-200VR. The usages are different.
 

cyberkid

New Member
Apr 2, 2005
132
0
0
All in all, buy all!
 

vroom

New Member
Mar 8, 2004
88
0
0
Singapore
ESPN,

good to hear your feedback.

i asked if it was wise to do it ie. your advice?
i didn't ask you to decide for me.

like i said before. i just wanted to start a discussion and to hear from other people about their experience and preferences.

i know that everyone has their own thinking and will make their own decisions.
i just wanted to hear about them.

I can then take this all in and form my own decisions.

like when you said you wouldn't even get the 18-200mm and that you'd get the trinity lens instead.... that's a very valid opinion which i would go with if i could afford it and if my priorities were pic quality etc etc.

as for dust being still a problem.... yeah, guess it's a just a question of minimising it then.


ae
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
36
vroom said:
ESPN,

good to hear your feedback.

i asked if it was wise to do it ie. your advice?
i didn't ask you to decide for me.

like i said before. i just wanted to start a discussion and to hear from other people about their experience and preferences.

i know that everyone has their own thinking and will make their own decisions.
i just wanted to hear about them.

I can then take this all in and form my own decisions.

like when you said you wouldn't even get the 18-200mm and that you'd get the trinity lens instead.... that's a very valid opinion which i would go with if i could afford it and if my priorities were pic quality etc etc.

as for dust being still a problem.... yeah, guess it's a just a question of minimising it then.


ae
Even if I had the trinity, I would have gotten the 18-200 also just for it's portability.
 

yyD70S

Senior Member
Dec 25, 2005
2,454
0
36
Singapore
Hhmmm... this 18-200 VR seems to be a favourite amongst many people :think:
 

Francis247

Senior Member
Jul 10, 2005
6,633
0
36
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
yyD70S said:
Hhmmm... this 18-200 VR seems to be a favourite amongst many people :think:
Hi yy,

I am actually not surprise that the 18-200 VR seems to be a favourite as
1. it can cover the focal length of 18-200mm
2. since the focal can cover a quite a range, reduce the hassle to bring many lens
3. VR function

However, due to its popularity and high demand, it had drive quite a few shops to be out of stock and people have to put their name to reserve it.
 

erizai

Senior Member
Sep 16, 2005
1,467
0
36
Southen Sea
That's why it keep on no stock!:bsmilie:
 

yyD70S

Senior Member
Dec 25, 2005
2,454
0
36
Singapore
Francis247 said:
Hi yy,

I am actually not surprise that the 18-200 VR seems to be a favourite as
1. it can cover the focal length of 18-200mm
2. since the focal can cover a quite a range, reduce the hassle to bring many lens
3. VR function

However, due to its popularity and high demand, it had drive quite a few shops to be out of stock and people have to put their name to reserve it.

Hi Francis,

Thanks. Be seeing ya!


Regards
 

rahul

Member
Jun 30, 2005
245
0
16
bendemeer
From what I have read, 18-200 VR is a very capable lens. You will most probably not see any visible loss of quality by using this lens compared to the other two. The fact that it covers two zoom ranges in one and has the VR function too, makes it a very good choice. You can sell the other two lenses to raise some money for the new lens.

Am sure you will enjoy it. Do post some pics once you own the 18-200 VR

Cheers

vroom said:
Hi all,

need some advice.

Would it be wise to replace both my 18-70mm and 28-200mm Nikkor lens with a single 18-200 VR?

i like the 18-70mm and it does have it's uses esp on the wide end but i find that when travelling, i use the 28-200mm most of the time as I love the reach it gives me.

i find that changing lens when travelling/on walkabout is not convenient and dust/sand is a problem when doing it outdoors.

i'm seriously thinking of getting the 18-200mm VR to reduce all of the above concerns I have.

What do you guys think?
 

Francis247

Senior Member
Jul 10, 2005
6,633
0
36
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
yyD70S said:
Hi Francis,

Thanks. Be seeing ya!


Regards
Hi yy,

You are welcome. Hope to see you soon.

Aside to threadstarter,

Due to highly possible shortage of 18-200VR, you can consider this configuration.
Keep the 28-200, then top-up a few more hundred to fet the 12-24mm to cover the wide angle end. Then you decide whether to sell away the kit len or to keep it.
 

vroom

New Member
Mar 8, 2004
88
0
0
Singapore
Francis247 said:
Due to highly possible shortage of 18-200VR, you can consider this configuration.
Keep the 28-200, then top-up a few more hundred to fet the 12-24mm to cover the wide angle end. Then you decide whether to sell away the kit len or to keep it.
That's another idea. hmm...... :think: :think:

i did consider getting the Tokina 12-24mm but if one of my priorities is convenience while travelling... then getting it would be one more lens in my baggage to lug around, n still would be changing lens in the field.

gotta think about it....:think:

btw, i've just come back from Tokyo and it seems it's easily available in Japan.
So.... if you are going there or know someone going there....;) ;)
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
36
rahul said:
From what I have read, 18-200 VR is a very capable lens. You will most probably not see any visible loss of quality by using this lens compared to the other two. The fact that it covers two zoom ranges in one and has the VR function too, makes it a very good choice. You can sell the other two lenses to raise some money for the new lens.

Am sure you will enjoy it. Do post some pics once you own the 18-200 VR

Cheers
You can see how the 18-200VR fare compared to the Sigma 18-50/2.8 EX at 18m in this thread which I just replied to. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=178944
 

Status
Not open for further replies.