Advice needed on taking photos in University Cultural Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adzz

Jun 20, 2004
West area
I need some help on this... Has anyone shoot before at NUS UCC for this year Convocation or last year? I need to shoot some tomorrow for my friend and I'm having the least idea on how the situation is going to be like down there.

Are we allowed to move around to take photos, and is the D70 Kit Lens sufficient? It's free seating, hence, I will not know the distance from my seat to the stage.

I hope to be able to use flash for this ceremony, in which I will use the SB800. Since there is effectively no ceiling (3 storeys high), bounced flash is impossible. Then at what angle is the most effective? Wide angle adaptor plus Diffuser dome is a good idea? or the white card is preferred?

Any advice is kindly appreciated. :)

there is an orchestra area in front of the stage. you may need a zoom lens. :)

hehehe Adzz, why never ask me? haha....

"Photo Taking
Guests should not leave their seats to take photographs so as to avoid obstruction to the graduands as they move up to the stage and back to their seats. Orders for on-stage close-up shots may be placed with the official photographer. "

You shld be allowed to use flash for the ceremony, however, you may only do so from the comforts of your seat. Bounced flash not possible, aim your flash directly where the action is at full power. Think no need wide adaptor? Since the most valuable shot would be that of your friend shaking hands with the guest of honour/dean and receiving her degree.

btw, haha... those instructions to guests are from my own convocation on the same day :p but NTU one though... rules shld be roughly the same.

I frankly doubt a 18-70 is long enough. Perhaps a 300 f/4 or 400/2.8 would be ideally better for the range. Esp if you're seated very far behind. A 70-200VR (with VR on) at the front row would just be nice to capture a half-body shot I believe.

This case I would probably shoot at f/4 or f/5.6 with flash direct (90 degrees) +1 EV. A flash extender might help at ISO640/800 as well. Check it out.

Hope it helps. :)

Save yourself the money of buying equipment and ask your friend to buy from the official photog. No way you can get good pics with whatever equipment from whatever seats coz the dean and/or friend will not be looking towards you or you will be blocked from your angle. Shot at Kallang theatre before.

espn said:
I frankly doubt a 18-70 is long enough. Perhaps a 300 f/4 or 400/2.8 would be ideally better for the range. Esp if you're seated very far behind. A 70-200VR (with VR on) at the front row would just be nice to capture a half-body shot I believe.

This case I would probably shoot at f/4 or f/5.6 with flash direct (90 degrees) +1 EV. A flash extender might help at ISO640/800 as well. Check it out.

Hope it helps. :)

Hehe.. espn, you know I only got a sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens. :D this is bad. you were saying flash direct (no dome right)? +1 ev in flash or camera? Should I use TTL or GN or M 1/1, 1/2 etc.

Thanks. :)

She will be getting the photos from the official photographer too. But I am thinking if I can shoot more. hehe

Given your distance, I won't use the dome. I normally avoid the dome if possible. Drains too much power. +1EV on the flash itself will do fine.

Use TTL is fine, M 1/1 will take SB-800 4.5secs to recharge with the SD-8A it would take 2secs. Too slow. I've shot at 200mm direct before, slight tad under at f/2.8 ISO200. With that kind of distance from perhaps about 4-5 rows away from the main stage. :)

Oh yeah, shoot RAW too. The lighting is going to be very sucky with the irritating spotlights.

Adzz said:
She will be getting the photos from the official photographer too. But I am thinking if I can shoot more. hehe

My suggestion is bring ur 18-70 or 50mm, take the graduation shots AFTER the ceremony, don't worry too much on handshake, it's only a measly 5secs thing. Enjoy the outdoor shots. Btw, can I tag along? :)

I hope to be able to borrow a 500/4 for my graduation though, my sister will be firing my camera for me within the audience :bsmilie:

espn said:
Given your distance, I won't use the dome. I normally avoid the dome if possible. Drains too much power. +1EV on the flash itself will do fine.

Use TTL is fine, M 1/1 will take SB-800 4.5secs to recharge with the SD-8A it would take 2secs. Too slow. I've shot at 200mm direct before, slight tad under at f/2.8 ISO200. With that kind of distance from perhaps about 4-5 rows away from the main stage. :)

Oh yeah, shoot RAW too. The lighting is going to be very sucky with the irritating spotlights.

Ok. I guess at f5.6, i need to boost to iso 800 or 1000. I think i will be quite a distance away from the stage. Will do a few test shots first to confirm. :) By any chance, will the SB800 flash affect the offical photographer photos? Keke...

Adzz said:
Ok. I guess at f5.6, i need to boost to iso 800 or 1000. I think i will be quite a distance away from the stage. Will do a few test shots first to confirm. :) By any chance, will the SB800 flash affect the offical photographer photos? Keke...

Unlikely it would affect the official's. :)

espn said:
My suggestion is bring ur 18-70 or 50mm, take the graduation shots AFTER the ceremony, don't worry too much on handshake, it's only a measly 5secs thing. Enjoy the outdoor shots. Btw, can I tag along? :)

I hope to be able to borrow a 500/4 for my graduation though, my sister will be firing my camera for me within the audience :bsmilie:

Engage someone to shoot for you loh. You need a professional to shoot for your convocation. You want to engage me? :D

hehe, thanks scanner and espn for ur help. :) wanna employ both ur help also cannot. there is a shortage of invitation cards and i am lucky enuff to get one. hehe... i think as what ricleo said, there is this offical photographer. 12 bucks for a simple package. but given the total amount he is taking. he wil be rich. haha.

espn: ur 500/f4 will sure to stand out in the crowd. :D

scanner said:
You need a professional to shoot for your convocation. You want to engage me?
Can't afford a professional fee leh. Too poor, just set to f/4 and let my sister fire off weill do :embrass:

Adzz said:
hehe, thanks scanner and espn for ur help. :) wanna employ both ur help also cannot. there is a shortage of invitation cards and i am lucky enuff to get one. hehe... i think as what ricleo said, there is this offical photographer. 12 bucks for a simple package. but given the total amount he is taking. he wil be rich. haha.

espn: ur 500/f4 will sure to stand out in the crowd. :D
Well there's outdoor shoot after the ceremony right? I'm sure I can tag along ... can't I? ;)

Hmmm let's see if I can get somebody to loan it to me, it's as hard as borrowing a 1Ds and 14 f/2.8L but I'm sure I can do more than a handshake :blah:

u can try to go in earlier and sit just behind the graduates, should be ard 10m away from the stage. or u can stand at the stand at the side, slightly nearer but at a weird angle

just take more pics before and after the ceremony

during my convo, the UCC people were very sticky abt people other than the official photog taking pics. the ushers actually shoo the parents, bfs, gfs, aunties, uncles .... etc... back to their seats when their sons or daughters go up the stage.

suggest u save ur effort and time, and buy the photos from the official photog. besides, u can take a lot of nice pics in and ard UCC. inside the hall, unless u got a damn fast zoom lens and/or a powerful flash, its a waste of time.

quekky said:
u can try to go in earlier and sit just behind the graduates, should be ard 10m away from the stage. or u can stand at the stand at the side, slightly nearer but at a weird angle

just take more pics before and after the ceremony

true true...........that's what i saw someone's dad doing today..........=>

unless u can get lobang like me and stand at the boxes and just use a 28-70 lens to shoot..............=>...............and get paid somemore..............=p

generally, get ASA 800 film, f4.5 lens at 1/60 shld do the job............got one parent shooting away on motordrive and boy was it loud and attention grabbing..................=>.................The flash generally doesn't help unless you got a metz................=>

think i saw u today enghong ;p

yup try to go in early to get the front seats... abt 160mm shld be enuff for full body shots if ur within 6-7 rows in front...

was using sigma flash n still sufficient range.

shld have quite a lot of time to do many test shots on others before ur friend's turn

Status
Not open for further replies.