Advice needed on putting a camera in a non-photography bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptm

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
How can i protect the camera if i were to put in a non-photography bag?
The reasons why i'm not using a photography bag is because it is not versatile enough for me to use it to carry other stuffs when i'm not carrying the camera (due to the partitions in it).
Besides, i'm still a newbie and don't have much add on accessories like wide lens, only have the lens adapter fixed on.

Originally posted by ptm
The reasons why i'm not using a photography bag is because it is not versatile enough for me to use it to carry other stuffs when i'm not carrying the camera (due to the partitions in it).
Besides, i'm still a newbie and don't have much add on accessories like wide lens, only have the lens adapter fixed on.

Depending on the physical size of the camera I'd go for a 'snoot' bag a.k.a. padded top loader design.

what kind of cam? small one? get a MD or CD bag lor.. big one like SLR I put inside a stiff plastic bag, eg kinokuniya and wrap it around... cheap and disposable... for transport not for use though.
but dun keep it in either bag for long periods... fungus

Originally posted by ptm

buy a Lowepro S&F AW 100 or 200 and use the removable insert as a camera holder in a backpack. Also, since some lenses come with lens cases, i also use those. Thats why i do when i go backpacking..

Perhaps you can make your own insert (styrofoam +fabric) or buy one that fits your bag (e.g. Domke), with room to spare. You may want to sew velcro all around both the insert and the inside of the bag to reduce the chances of your precious camera flying out when you open your bag. Consider also cheap bags lined with your own bubble wraps. I'm sure with some ingenuity and inspiration, u can come up with something! :D

Not sure what u mean by non-photography bag, but I suppose it is not anything like a ladies handbag that u plan to put yr camera in right? I have a real cheap option, bubble packs and those soft foam type where electronic goods come in. I did that once when I went to Australia with my camera packed in those and stuffed away in my backpack. Still suggest u get a small lowepro camera bag and then stuff it in backpack like I do if u value yr posessions!:rbounce:

True, true. I soon got tired of furtively taking out my camera and lens from a cosmetic pouch lined with bubble wrap and a water bottle holder! Very cumbersome and insufficient protection too. Maybe u can post a WTB for a nice secondhand (lowepro?) camera bag; just remember to state your budget. :)
Or you could turn up for SEED this Wed and try some bags for size. Hope that helps.

It took awhile, but I found a Tatonka bag insert that's made for cameras... managed to buy the last piece from a shop in Peninsula Plaza... 19 bucks. Fits my F90x body, an 80-200 f2.8 zoom, an 85 prime, some film and lens hoods.

Best of all, the insert fits nicely into my deuter daypack (the one everyone carries these days)

Originally posted by Ian

Depending on the physical size of the camera I'd go for a 'snoot' bag a.k.a. padded top loader design.

hi ian

pardon my ignorance, how does a padded top loader design bag look like?

thanks alot for the advice, really appreciate it.
me cam is G2 and the bag i'm using is those soft document bag with a flap.
may consider getting a insert, if not a small lowepro camera bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.