Advice needed on lenses

Need (strongly recommend rather) batt grip also if the 70-200 is f2.8 one...if not very unbalanced on 550D. But I doubt the TS should abuse his/her fren and ask them to buy 70-200 f2.8 IS Mk II

The 70-200 is the f/4 version that she had listed. Not the f/2.8 one.

Don't know about Canons, but I don't imagine that it will be unbalanced with the f/4 version?

Haha. The main advice I needed is what lens should I buy? For taking babies, children. And eventually a small studio.
I think my friends wanted me to be canon user. Haha. Friends are good, but cannot take them for granted. :)

This is the list given to me.

Canon 550D body
Canon EF-S 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 IS
Canon 15-85mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM / OR Tamron 17-50mm 2.8VC
Canon 70-200mm f4 IS (this one could be a while :)
Canon 430EX II / 580 EX II Flash

Depends your need.
Since you have been using 18-200, so I suggest you keep using it.
For babies, children, get a prime. What focal length you like? Sigma30f1.4, Sigma 50f1.4 , EF85f1.8 are good options.
Tamron non VC is better then the VC. Check other old threads.

For flash, if you know you will always use it, then get the 580EXII, if not, 430EXII is more than enough.

Depends your need.
Since you have been using 18-200, so I suggest you keep using it.
For babies, children, get a prime. What focal length you like? Sigma30f1.4, Sigma 50f1.4 , EF85f1.8 are good options.
Tamron non VC is better then the VC. Check other old threads.

For flash, if you know you will always use it, then get the 580EXII, if not, 430EXII is more than enough.

I totally agree.

If TS is really interested in learning to take good pics of babies and toddlers, he/she might consider widening his/her circle of "friends" who may be more versed in photographic techniques than mere equipment brands.

Hi! I have been taking photographs on my nikon d80, 18-200mm VR lens for 3 years. I love my nikon. But recently, people around me are using canon and they have plenty of lenses to lend. So I m thinking to switch to Canon 550D.
A friend of mine wanted to sponsor me and ask me for a list of required lenses. I have no idea what lens I needed because I only use 1 lens so far. My interest is taking pictures of babies and toddlers. and eventually thinking to have a small studio.
Can someone give me some advice? Thank you.

D80 with 18-200mm VR is good enough. The general idea is one general lens to replace several lenses you would otherwise use.

If you really want to change camera, I would recommend chnaging it to either the D90 or D300s. Thery are both good cameras and you still get to keep your existing lens.

TS, depends on yourself right?
You feel that you don't want to change, then just stick with your Nikon.
If you are ok accepting your friend's offer, then just get what he recommended.

I don't think its that bad moving to another brand (esp. when its 'free'). Its only some phase in time.

Hi Hi!
So far the word "TS" keep appearing. what does it mean?

My recommendation
7D (can be used as a master to trigger ur speedlite flash)
580EX II
EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM :)thumbsup:)
EF 50mm f1.2L USM / EF 50mm f1.8 II
EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM (capture them in their most natural way)

Agreed with 7D as above.
Would recommend the below since it's for shooting babies and toddlers

7D (can be used as a master to trigger ur speedlite flash as direct flash is bad for babies)
580EX II
EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM :)thumbsup:) (The best crop sensor lens and it helps in indoor environment)
EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM (love the fine details when shooting baby feet and hands)

7D (can be used as a master to trigger ur speedlite flash as direct flash is bad for babies)

Direct flash is bad for any person - the result is just horrible when the flash hits the face straight on. Apart from this, flash is not harmful at all, it's just the rumour that remains.

Haha. The main advice I needed is what lens should I buy? For taking babies, children. And eventually a small studio.
I think my friends wanted me to be canon user. Haha. Friends are good, but cannot take them for granted. :)

Since you are sponsored, go for the best and do not look back. Ask your friends to get the 85/1.2L for you.

:nono::nono::nono:

His friends are buying him stuff out of good will. How can TS abuse it......

'He' is a she

--------------

....... And eventually a small studio....... :)

Switch from Nikon to Canon because your fren wants to sponsor you ?...... go ahead, its free .....

But seriously..... if you are planning a studio (i guess starting up a studio business?) and if you REALLY have to go the Canon way ... then go for a 5D Mk2 or a 1d mk3 because the price (5d2) had a recent big drop..... and change the 18-200 to

a 17-40 L 2.8,
a 28-70 2.8 L and
a 80mm portrait lens

...... as work equiptment, these tend to last longer

Otherwise..... why downgrade ? :devil:

Last edited:
I vote for sticking to your camera and getting what you need for taking better photos.

Switching to a completely new system takes time to get used to the equipment. If your focus is on babies and toddlers with a view to start a studio, it is never too early to start practising. If your friends insist on getting you new gear, how about supplementing your D80 with:
- a starter kit softbox + 2 lamps and stands + simple backdrop
- SB800/SB900 speedlight
- a prime lens that gives you a comfortable working distance to the young ones
- a good tripod

You can keep your 18-200mm for travel, and soon when your photos improve further, maybe your images will speak loudly enough to convince the whole bunch of your friends to switch over to...the Dark Side. :devil:

keep your existing setup :angel:

insist to get a D700 or 5DmkII plus a few prime lens. don't need to say so much here, just go to the shop and buy.

can I know this friend too? :bsmilie:

a 17-40 L 2.8,
a 28-70 2.8 L and
a 80mm portrait lens

You would mean
17-40 L f4.0 or 16-35 f2.8L II
24-70 f2.8L
85mm f1.2II or f1.8

Direct flash is bad for any person - the result is just horrible when the flash hits the face straight on. Apart from this, flash is not harmful at all, it's just the rumour that remains.

agreed. there was once i was doing a shoot and the flash was pointed upwards. i thot i had turned it off so i pressed the shutter to take a test shot and it flashed straight in my face... :confused: