Advice needed on lenses

wow! I totally like your reply. Yes, I m happy and satisfied with current camera. I cant give myself a good reason why I wanna change. :(

I start to get turned off by some of my canon friends who preach non-stop to me to switch... buy a canon this and that...tends to annoyed me when they say "your nikon no good" etc while I nv once said anything about brands... I somehow feel some of these canon users are brain wash(brand wash rather) or possessed...:nono:
sadly, most of my canon friends are like this but I still think it's a minority who don't really know what they are talking about..

To me, both are capable of delivering good images but I love nikon for it's design and especially the elegant on/off button as compared to canon...and also, I am used to using a Nikon, why persuade me?:bsmilie:

The safest bet might be:
550D + 18-200 (since you are already used to the focal length range)

If you want to explore subject isolation etc:
550D + 17-50

Don't think the 70-200mm range will be useful for you if you're going to take baby photos.

As for flash, get the 580 EX II if you can?

EDIT: Wait. Is this a to-buy/to-get list or to-lend list? Like the other guys here (I think), I don't think I will want to borrow lenses from my friends (unless it's just to test a few shots), so...

This is the list my friend draw out for me. They going to buy for me.

I start to get turned off by some of my canon friends who preach non-stop to me to switch... buy a canon this and that...tends to annoyed me when they say "your nikon no good" etc while I nv once said anything about brands... I somehow feel some of these canon users are brain wash(brand wash rather) or possessed...:nono:
sadly, most of my canon friends are like this but I still think it's a minority who don't really know what they are talking about..

To me, both are capable of delivering good images but I love nikon for it's design and especially the elegant on/off button as compared to canon...and also, I am used to using a Nikon, why persuade me?:bsmilie:

heehee. right right. now i m wavering again. I guess like someone says, which brand doesnt matter, is the person using it.

heehee. right right. now i m wavering again. I guess like someone says, which brand doesnt matter, is the person using it.

Don't worry, just switch. You can always switch back again if you dun like it. That's what Buy and Sell at Clubsnap is for. ;)

Brand matters to me as I am used to using Nikon and have confidence in it. But taking lousy photos with it would be really my fault:bsmilie:

This is the list given to me.

Canon 550D body
Canon EF-S 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 IS
Canon 15-85mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM / OR Tamron 17-50mm 2.8VC
Canon 70-200mm f4 IS (this one could be a while :)
Canon 430EX II / 580 EX II Flash

Anyway, to answer your question, I think these 2 are more useful. :)

Wow free from friend? Can ask them to change the lens to EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM lens or not?

Since you have a good friend who wanted to sponsor you, why not get the 24-70 f2.8L and forget about all the lenses mentioned. LOl.

Most of my colleagues are Canon users but I still stick to Nikon and never think to change system....i would rather spend time to improve my shooting skills than wasting time to think about changing system...both Nikon and Canon produce great cameras and lenses ......enjoy shooting...

My recommendation
7D (can be used as a master to trigger ur speedlite flash)
580EX II
EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM :)thumbsup:)
EF 50mm f1.2L USM / EF 50mm f1.8 II
EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM (capture them in their most natural way)

If I'd like to use my pop-up as a commander I'd go Nikon. A D70/80/90 can command flashes, and is cheaper than 7D.

I think this setup is too expensive for the TS anyway.

And I don't think anyone would go so serious as to use a 70-200 f2.8 just to shoot babies. If a tele is needed I think a 55-200/250 or 70-300 would suffice. Not like the baby is gonna run around like soccer players or something.

Instead of getting L Lens, can ask ur fren to buy you Leica ones ? That one has better value :cool:

Sorry side track already heh .

I dunno about your fren leh , but sounds like got catch . Is he and others selling you the lenses they dont need huh ? :dunno:

But not all Canon users are like that . My photography buddy uses Canon , we go out for shots together with our gear , most of our discussion are on technical qualities , of course limitations of our individual gear at times.

I have another another fren who uses Nikon , same thing , we talk about technical things more than gear .

We all co exist happily together lol.

SO no need to switch one . Real frens sees you , not the camera infront of you :)

Last edited:
A friend of mine wanted to sponsor me and ask me for a list of required lenses.
woa. zhun bo .. if it is free sponsorship for a few L lenses, i dun mind getting a different body .. :bsmilie:

but yea the usual , it is the person behind camera that makes the shot.

ryan

Hi! I have been taking photographs on my nikon d80, 18-200mm VR lens for 3 years. I love my nikon. But recently, people around me are using canon and they have plenty of lenses to lend. So I m thinking to switch to Canon 550D.
A friend of mine wanted to sponsor me and ask me for a list of required lenses. I have no idea what lens I needed because I only use 1 lens so far. My interest is taking pictures of babies and toddlers. and eventually thinking to have a small studio.
Can someone give me some advice? Thank you.

This is the list given to me.

Canon 550D body
Canon EF-S 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 IS
Canon 70-200mm f4 IS (this one could be a while :)

How does what your "friends" recommend to you improve on your abilities to take better pics of BABIES and toddlers compare to what you are using :dunno:

Since you have a good friend who wanted to sponsor you, why not get the 24-70 f2.8L and forget about all the lenses mentioned. LOl.

:nono::nono::nono:

His friends are buying him stuff out of good will. How can TS abuse it......

This is the list my friend draw out for me. They going to buy for me.

550D + 17-50 + 580 EX II + 70-200 (if possible) gets my vote after considering that one should exercise restraint even in the face of free stuff.

550D + 17-50 + 580 EX II + 70-200 (if possible) gets my vote after considering that one should exercise restraint even in the face of free stuff.

Alrighty! Kind of got an idea on wat to have. By the way, is her friend not his friend. ;)

Need (strongly recommend rather) batt grip also if the 70-200 is f2.8 one...if not very unbalanced on 550D. But I doubt the TS should abuse his/her fren and ask them to buy 70-200 f2.8 IS Mk II

hmm, but if really use for studio, can consider prime lens too.

ironically, one dun need fast lens for studio portrait work, after all the lighting setup, usually shoot at f8-11-16.