Advice needed on lenses

mydreamcamera

Dec 12, 2007
Hi! I have been taking photographs on my nikon d80, 18-200mm VR lens for 3 years. I love my nikon. But recently, people around me are using canon and they have plenty of lenses to lend. So I m thinking to switch to Canon 550D.
A friend of mine wanted to sponsor me and ask me for a list of required lenses. I have no idea what lens I needed because I only use 1 lens so far. My interest is taking pictures of babies and toddlers. and eventually thinking to have a small studio.
Can someone give me some advice? Thank you.

did you notice any major advantages over your single nikon vs several canon lenses (in actual shooting scenario)?

can't really comment...I only feel that...lens don't share...:bsmilie:...I always look at what I have rather than what others have...coz I don't feel safe/secure(whatever) to use others' lens...

Wah...I wish I have friends like yours. I will ask for all the L lenses if someone wants to sponsor me. :bsmilie:

Haha. The main advice I needed is what lens should I buy? For taking babies, children. And eventually a small studio.
I think my friends wanted me to be canon user. Haha. Friends are good, but cannot take them for granted. :)

can i be your friend's friend :) ?? you can be my friend too :D ~!!

It's that you have friends using the same system(canon) and you can borrow some lenses to try. Not all friends may be comfortable with lendng you their expensive lenses to bring home for a few days, so it'll be more practical if you ask them on a shoot outing and try out the lenses In their presence

Go get a Nikkor 50/f1.4 or 85/f1.4.

Use it for shooting your toddlers .... then come back after 3 months and tell us your experience :)

Canon or Nikon ... the biggest difference lies with the USER - NOT the camera.

You have some very good friends.

Why not ask them for advice since they know your habits/preferences when you guys go out to take photos together?

Hi! I have been taking photographs on my nikon d80, 18-200mm VR lens for 3 years. I love my nikon. But recently, people around me are using canon and they have plenty of lenses to lend. So I m thinking to switch to Canon 550D.
A friend of mine wanted to sponsor me and ask me for a list of required lenses. I have no idea what lens I needed because I only use 1 lens so far. My interest is taking pictures of babies and toddlers. and eventually thinking to have a small studio.
Can someone give me some advice? Thank you.

Ask yourself: What improvements do you expect or need when you switch? You seem to be happy and contended with what you have. It suits your needs and it seems you get the results you want. Why this idea of switching camps just for the sake of possibility of lending lenses that obviously you haven't needed so far? Enjoy photography, don't become a slave of equipment and systems. Too many people here drooling and talking about bodies, lenses and whatnot, the entire Newbie Section is full of people hoping to improve images by upgrading / changing cameras and lenses.
If your friends want to sponsor you then ask them for flash or tripod or anything else - but stick to Nikon. If the camera in your hands is more important to your friends than the pictures you take ... :dunno:

haha!
look like i phrase my sentences wrongly. Dont focus on borrowing lenses and friend buying me lens. Focus on what i use buy. :) Heehee

Agree bro.
Standard sentiments:bsmilie:

Haha. The main advice I needed is what lens should I buy? For taking babies, children. And eventually a small studio.
I think my friends wanted me to be canon user. Haha. Friends are good, but cannot take them for granted. :)

my friends also say the same thing, but everytime ask them to lend...everytime they would need to use...quite uncomfortable...:)
Babies/kids in outdoor, your lens is more than enough...probably indoor got to use a larger aperture like 50mm f1.8. I would feel studio should invest more on lighting equipment.:)

juz my humble view.

Ask yourself: What improvements do you expect or need when you switch? You seem to be happy and contended with what you have. It suits your needs and it seems you get the results you want. Why this idea of switching camps just for the sake of possibility of lending lenses that obviously you haven't needed so far? Enjoy photography, don't become a slave of equipment and systems. Too many people here drooling and talking about bodies, lenses and whatnot, the entire Newbie Section is full of people hoping to improve images by upgrading / changing cameras and lenses.
If your friends want to sponsor you then ask them for flash or tripod or anything else - but stick to Nikon. If the camera in your hands is more important to your friends than the pictures you take ... :dunno:

wow! I totally like your reply. Yes, I m happy and satisfied with current camera. I cant give myself a good reason why I wanna change. :(

You have some very good friends.

Why not ask them for advice since they know your habits/preferences when you guys go out to take photos together?

my friend give me a long list of lenses to decide. So i thot I will post a thread to ask the experts. So i wont waste my friend's $$

This is the list given to me.

Canon 550D body
Canon EF-S 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 IS
Canon 15-85mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM / OR Tamron 17-50mm 2.8VC
Canon 70-200mm f4 IS (this one could be a while :)
Canon 430EX II / 580 EX II Flash

Standard sentiments:bsmilie:

my friends also say the same thing, but everytime ask them to lend...everytime they would need to use...quite uncomfortable...:)
Babies/kids in outdoor, your lens is more than enough...probably indoor got to use a larger aperture like 50mm f1.8. I would feel studio should invest more on lighting equipment.:)

juz my humble view.

That's why I dun agree with ppl who consider that as a valid point when choosing a system.

This is the list given to me.

Canon 550D body
Canon EF-S 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 IS
Canon 15-85mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM / OR Tamron 17-50mm 2.8VC
Canon 70-200mm f4 IS (this one could be a while :)
Canon 430EX II / 580 EX II Flash

The safest bet might be:
550D + 18-200 (since you are already used to the focal length range)

If you want to explore subject isolation etc:
550D + 17-50

Don't think the 70-200mm range will be useful for you if you're going to take baby photos.

As for flash, get the 580 EX II if you can?

EDIT: Wait. Is this a to-buy/to-get list or to-lend list? Like the other guys here (I think), I don't think I will want to borrow lenses from my friends (unless it's just to test a few shots), so...

Last edited:
My recommendation
7D (can be used as a master to trigger ur speedlite flash)
580EX II
EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM :)thumbsup:)
EF 50mm f1.2L USM / EF 50mm f1.8 II
EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM (capture them in their most natural way)

Last edited: