Advice needed on Lens upgrade

unknowger

Sep 11, 2010
Hey all,

I need some advice from you guys.
Am currently thinking of adding a new lens to my current EOS 7D.
DO have a kit lens of 18-135mm and a 50mm F1.8.
Just wonder is it good to add on a zoom lens of 55-250mm to my collection, esp. i am interested with landscape photography? Or i should opt for other lenses?

Could someone advise or do any recommendation?

Hey all,

Just wonder is it good to add on a zoom lens of 55-250mm to my collection, esp. i am interested with landscape photography? Or i should opt for other lenses?

55-250mm is useless for landscape. u should be looking at wide angle lens... something like lesser then 50mm. Maybe a 10-22mm.

:)

Hey all,

A 55-250 wouldn't do much for your landscape photography, you should go to the wide end instead. That being said, how is your kit lens limiting you? Do not buy a lens for the sake of buying a lens, you might end up with something you don't use.

Thought i could get a longer focal distance lens to zoom in and shoot further objects such as wildlife... thats why i thought of getting a 55-250 on top of my 18-135mm lens.. However, any landscape lens that you can advise?

Thought i could get a longer focal distance lens to zoom in and shoot further objects such as wildlife... thats why i thought of getting a 55-250 on top of my 18-135mm lens.. However, any landscape lens that you can advise?

55-250 can also shoot landscape. Landscape pictures are not limited by focal length actually.

It is a good lens to have. Especially when you need to zoom in.

Wildlife photography is very different from landscape photography, the lenses used are usually at the 2 very extremes ends of the spectrum. I suggest you focus on only one if not you will find yourself losing cash fast.

like what sinned79 suggest, the canon 10-22 is one of the choices. You can look at tokina 12-24 too.

Last edited:
If i were to get the 55-250mm lens... would it be good to sell off my 18-135mm lens? Or should i keep it as a spare one???

Wildlife photography is very different from landscape photography, the lenses used are usually at the 2 very extremes ends of the spectrum. I suggest you focus on only one if not you will find yourself losing cash fast.

like what sinned79 suggest, the canon 10-22 is one of the choices. You can look at tokina 12-24 too.

I tink can consider Tokina 11-16 f2.8 too, its slightly wider than the 12-24, and the aperture is fixed at 2.8. Its also slightly cheaper than canon 10-22.

Whats the price for Tokina 11-16 2.8?

If i were to get the 55-250mm lens... would it be good to sell off my 18-135mm lens? Or should i keep it as a spare one???

i tink u shouldnt sell off ur 18-135 unless u got ur range around 18mm covered by another lens, cos if u sell it then u're left with ur 50mm f1.8, which might be abit tight indoors, especially smaller rooms..

another option is after getting ur 55-250, sell ur 18-135 and get a tamron 17-50 (abt $600) or canon 17-55 (quite expensive..)

just sharing another option, but ya dun sink in too much money unless u really know wat u need :)

Whats the price for Tokina 11-16 2.8?

abt 930 from parisilk

Thanks all!! Will think about it and make my decisions.
Cant afford to throw my limited cash.... !!! =)

Thanks all!! Will think about it and make my decisions.
Cant afford to throw my limited cash.... !!! =)

Take more time to think! I been thinking for almost a month. :bsmilie:

Keep both of your lens and opt for the 70-300mm lens.

18 - 135mm (utilizing the wide angle from 18-40mm) for your landscape. 50mm for your portraits. and 70-300 for your wildlife shots.

What kind of wildlife are you intending to shoot? Different kinds of wildlife can make your shooting needs very different?

18-135 and 55-250 has quite a large range of focal length overlapped. Therefore it might not be feasible to own 55-250 if you are just using the 135-250 range for that lens. Landscape as what people suggested go for ultra wide angle lens. Wildlife maybe you can consider sigma 150-500 on top of 18-135 but it cost ard 1k. So it depends on your budget. See whether you shoot more of landscape or wildlife.

18-135 and 55-250 has quite a large range of focal length overlapped. Therefore it might not be feasible to own 55-250 if you are just using the 135-250 range for that lens. Landscape as what people suggested go for ultra wide angle lens. Wildlife maybe you can consider sigma 150-500 on top of 18-135 but it cost ard 1k. So it depends on your budget. See whether you shoot more of landscape or wildlife.

I do not see overlapping focal length as being a big problem...

Some overlapping will only give more convenience and shooting options to the photographer when the lens is mounted and when there is not much time to change lenses, especially when shooting wildlife.

150-500... hmm. If really got budget, I recommend the sigma APO 200-500/2.8 with the special attachment mounted.. ;)