advice needed on lens care

Milkdew

May 23, 2005
Hi, need advice on what to do with my canon 400D and sigma lens which appears to be mouldy and pictures appear to be faded and not very sharp as before? not sure how and where to clean it and cost involved. would like to get rid of the camera as i still have a lx3. but doubt anyone would want to buy it. Can someone kindly please look at the pic in the link and advice if its fungus?and what to do about it? thanks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/milkdew/P1060462.jpg

Hi, need advice on what to do with my canon 400D and sigma lens which appears to be mouldy and pictures appear to be faded and not very sharp as before? not sure how and where to clean it and cost involved. would like to get rid of the camera as i still have a lx3. but doubt anyone would want to buy it. Can someone kindly please look at the pic in the link and advice if its fungus?and what to do about it? thanks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/milkdew/P1060462.jpg

TS, you should use the [ img ] tag to link an image directly to your post.

Like so
Milkdew said:
P1060462.jpg

That looks a bit feral, but I can't be 100% sure if it's fungus.
You can try to PM 'fatigue' and see if he could help you out. He's a bit busy though, so you need to exercise some patience :)
How did you store your 400D + Sigma lens?

Yup, looks like fungus and not only one patch. You can clean it at the service centre or bring it down to the 3rd party servicing shops

Agreed with what others said... fungus... 100% sure. Can bring to P&G Photographic Centre or Camera Hospital for a clean up. Not sure how much it would cost though.

or maybe you can try calling CSC and ask them for price? =)

Oh... btw, just kapo abit here. What Sigma lens was that?

TS: if you tyreat your lx3 in the same way .. better check already the prices for cleaning this cam as well. Compare to the costs for a dry cabinet.

hey ZerocoolAstra, thanks for attaching the picture!;) i dont store my camera in dry box, thats why. not a camera fanatic so never take proper care :embrass:

rhino123, its a sigma 17-70, f2.8-4.5.

I assume CSC means canon service centre? will they help to service non-canon lens? I think i will bring it down to P&G store first, think i went there before years ago. hehe

Just unsure if I shld spend money on servicing and cleaning before i sell.. since i think 400D isnt worth much now.. :(

hey ZerocoolAstra, thanks for attaching the picture!;) i dont store my camera in dry box, thats why. not a camera fanatic so never take proper care :embrass:

rhino123, its a sigma 17-70, f2.8-4.5.

I assume CSC means canon service centre? will they help to service non-canon lens? I think i will bring it down to P&G store first, think i went there before years ago. hehe

Just unsure if I shld spend money on servicing and cleaning before i sell.. since i think 400D isnt worth much now.. :(

After cleaning still can sell. If you don't clean, no one will buy it.

How bad is it inside the camera?

For your info a 400D body only in good condition should be selling 300+ nowadays. so you have an idea of how much max you should spend to fix the cam.

Last edited:

Nope, CSC only service canon product.

hmm not too sure how to see inside the cam? so far only can see these on the lens itself..

hmm not too sure how to see inside the cam? so far only can see these on the lens itself..

remove the lens, use torch light and see the inside. Then activate mirror up cleaning, and use torch light and look at the sensor.

BTW which sigma lens is that?

daredevil123 said:
remove the lens, use torch light and see the inside. Then activate mirror up cleaning, and use torch light and look at the sensor.

BTW which sigma lens is that?

Bro, it's a 17-70 f2.8-4.5

daredevil123 said:
There are a few versions of that lens right? The most recent version with OS is not that cheap. Might be worth it to clean.

The new one with OS is f2.8-4 :) the older version is f2.8-4.5