Advice needed on choice of film

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeve

Feb 20, 2008
Hi all. I'll be doing a personal photoshoot of my friend. I'm currently using a canon eos 500 slr. It's gonna be a first time i'm doing a photoshoot and i've no idea wat film i should use. The place would be outdoors at an abandoned area. Sunlight would be quite sufficient. No studio equipment will be used. I want less grains, sharp details and contrasting colours. What film or slide should i use? Film users pease give me advice. Thanks.

I have a fetish for Kodak Ektachrome 100VS. It's good for portraits. One thing you might want to ensure though: Exposure must be spot on. There's not much room for error.

oh. where can i get that? thats colour slide right?

I suggest you use negative film, the exposure latitude is grater.

for transparency film, unless you have lot of experience shooting with it, else you should stay away, especially you have not done any shoot like this before.

my last roll of film which I shot is about five six years ago, most of my favorite films already extinct.

can't recommending any film to you.

wow thanks for the guide that was great. :)

Film choice is a big personal subjective choice, so it's hard to give recommendation... Depending on your metering skills and patience, the choice of slide vs neg play a big part... Either way, I like Portra and Kodak Gold 100 respectively for portraits.

I have a fetish for Kodak Ektachrome 100VS. It's good for portraits. One thing you might want to ensure though: Exposure must be spot on. There's not much room for error.

100VS isn't entirely suitable for portraits IMHO, it CAN shoot portraits but skin tones tend to look too saturated for my liking.

Colour wise, Kodak Gold is a good cheap neg. I have had good experience with Provia for colour slides too.

For B&W, I prefer Ilford Delta or HP5+.

Samuel

Personally, for Slides I use fuji provia, for b/w negative, I use ilford Delta and color negative, I use fuji Reala. Real reason I use those is cos its easily available in my local camera store.

Status
Not open for further replies.