Status
Not open for further replies.

kachang26

Feb 21, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
heelooow!!!
need advice on the following:-

Choosing between EOS 300 or Nikon F80 as 1st SLR camera. As choosing either Canon or Nikon = choosing system..I need your recommendation/comments on the following:-

1) EOS 300 with EF100mm F2.8 (is it worth paying more and getting the USM version?) for marco work?
2) [ ? ] len for travel/vacation shoot?

while the EOS 300 setup's cost is more attractive than the Nikon F80 setup I have in mind, what matters most to me is the quality of the lens ....

help???!

THNX FOR TAKING THE TIME TO REPLY!!!!!!
:bwhat:

For strictly macro work , u dun really need the USM. But it will be good to get the USM for other kind of work like travel photography and street photography etc.

A good travel lens wud be the 28-135 IS or the cheaper 28-105 USM. Cannot go wrong with either.

I wud say Canon and Nikon lenses are on par. Each has its share of excellent and lousy lenses. Do your reserch before buying any lens.

to victor:

thanks! did not want to start a war between canon & nikon users but i agree with you entirely that each system have their good & crap lens. that's why end consumer experiences and their opinion is very important to me..thanks again!

Whatever you do, do not buy either camera in the kit form (ie with a lens) since they are not very good. If you choose Canon, buy the 28-105 USM if you're on a tight budget or the 28-135 if you can afford it. If you choose Nikon, I can't help and you should ask on the Nikon forum.

Originally posted by kachang26
1) EOS 300 with EF100mm F2.8 (is it worth paying more and getting the USM version?) for marco work?
The old school photographer will tell you that AF is useless for macro work. IMHO, it really depends on:
1) your working style when doing macro photography. some people like to "touch-up" their focus after using AF (this is where the FT-M feature of the USM version comes in handy) on the subject, others prefer to only focus manually.
2) your macro subject. still-life subjects won't be frightened by anything, so you'll have all the time in the world. other subjects may be frightened by the loud focusing motor of the non-USM version (if you use AF) (and if they are not already frightened by your big gigantic SLR & lens!!)
Additionally, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a new non-USM unit in the shops now. So if you are going for the non-USM version, a second-hand piece is your best bet.

2) [ ? ] len for travel/vacation shoot?
This again is subjective. You'll have to ask yourself, what kind of photos do you like to shoot? A decent general "walk-about" lens would be one like the EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (or similar focal range).

while the EOS 300 setup's cost is more attractive than the Nikon F80 setup I have in mind, what matters most to me is the quality of the lens ....
Hmmm.. actually, the EOS 300 is not in the same class as the F80. The EOS 30 would be a more appropriate match. In any case, think carefully about:
1) the features & types of lenses you foresee yourself using
2) try out the cameras itself to make sure you are comfortable with the "user-interface"
REMEMBER, you are buying into a camera system, not just the camera/lens.

Have fun with your choice!! ;)

thnx:-

will keep you ppl updated as to my choice of allegiance!

if i adopt the canon faction; looking at things, will probably get the EOS 300 (2nd Hand) wiht the 100mm F2.8 macro work (USM if my u/water setup allows it)
& the USM II 28-105 (frm the review read ay photonet.com)

thanks again!

USM = Ultrasonic Motors (USMs)

USM Drove the Development of Canon's EOS SLR Cameras
Canon leapt ahead of the industry by adopting an ultrasonic motor (USM) as the lens driving motor for a single-lens reflex (SLR) camera in 1987. The high-speed and low-noise auto-focus (AF) function shocked professional photographers around the world. At the time, because shooting motor races and other fast-paced sports was thought to be too difficult for AF cameras, photographers set the focus manually. With the advent of cameras with completely integrated electronic focusing lenses using USMs, manually focused cameras have gradually been replaced. Canon developed a popular ring-type USM in 1990 and, in 1992, a micro USM that can be mass-produced. USMs are currently used in almost all AF lenses, making photography easy for everyone.

High-Speed, Super-Quiet AF Sprang from an Innovative Concept
Conventional motors are driven by rapid rotation generated through the application of electromagnetic force, and they require several steps of reduction gears. However, the USM uses the novel principle that a motor can rotate using the vibration energy of ultrasonic waves, producing considerable force from slow rotation with automatic braking when the motor stops. As a result, the ring USM needs no gears, provides quick start/stop response and control, and generates almost no noise. The energy-efficient operational temperature range of our USMs is from -30¡C to +60¡C, which ensures stable camera operation even under severe conditions. What's more, the ring shape fits perfectly into lens-barrels.

More Information:

Canon USMs

Originally posted by dragos
what does the USM do actually?
USM - Ultra Sonic Motor
Much faster and quieter lens motor compared to its predecessor. There are 2 types of USM, Ring-type USM and Micro USM. Ring-type USM are usually used in the larger aperture and Super telephotos with a design that allows for FT-M (Full-Time Manual). i.e. you can move the focus ring to focus manually without switching to M-mode first.

kachang

If u are really keen on the 28-105, I do have a used one for sale. The glass is in very good condition.

Vic

Originally posted by victor
kachang

If u are really keen on the 28-105, I do have a used one for sale. The glass is in very good condition.

Vic

hmm...very very very tempted, can you email me at kachang26@yahoo.com.sg with your asking price?
thanks for taking the trouble!

Status
Not open for further replies.