Advice needed on camera or lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilgarfield

Nov 6, 2008
Hi guys,i've got a panasonic fz18 and a canon 400d,i'm thinking of either selling the 400d to get a 50d or should i just change the lens for the 400d? i'm thinking of changing as the kit lens of the 400d isnt too good.

Another thing is IF i change the lens,what kind of lens should i be getting?

Thanks guys

What kind of photos you want to take? I think you should keep the kit lens since it's quite good and you won't know when you will need the kit lens!

Depends on what you shoot...

hmm,i shoot nature most of the time,but i'm going on a holiday soon and hope to use it. i also use it to shoot sports sometimes.....

currently,i feel that my panasonic fz18 lens is better than the kit lens of the 400d :confused:

Hi guys,i've got a panasonic fz18 and a canon 400d,i'm thinking of either selling the 400d to get a 50d or should i just change the lens for the 400d? i'm thinking of changing as the kit lens of the 400d isnt too good.

Another thing is IF i change the lens,what kind of lens should i be getting?

Thanks guys

Maybe u can try to reason out why u need to change.

What are the limiting factors of the 400D that u need a new body.

Or why the kit lens is limiting you. What kind of lens u shld be getting is dependent on ur needs. U need something wider ? longer reach ? larger aperture ?

Ryan

Maybe u can try to reason out why u need to change.

What are the limiting factors of the 400D that u need a new body.

Or why the kit lens is limiting you. What kind of lens u shld be getting is dependent on ur needs. U need something wider ? longer reach ? larger aperture ?

Ryan
hmm,currently my 400d is sitting around not being utilised as the panasonic fz18 lens produces much nicer pictures. The photographs that i took during the f1 race also played a part in the decision to wanting to change a camera or lens. The pictures i took at the f1 race were grainy as i had to max out the settings on the fz18. So,i was thinking that i might need something faster and if i do not change the body,i'll change the lens

Why do I have the feeling that it is you that needs to learn how to maximise the 400D?

Why do I have the feeling that it is you that needs to learn how to maximise the 400D?
hm,yeah,thats a possibilty...any advice?:dunno:

but i think i gotta change the lens first :(

hmm,i shoot nature most of the time,but i'm going on a holiday soon and hope to use it. i also use it to shoot sports sometimes.....

currently,i feel that my panasonic fz18 lens is better than the kit lens of the 400d :confused:

The term nature has been loosely used nowadays, do you mean you shoot wildlife/birding or landscapes? Sports, what type of sports?

If you want to, post up some pictures that you felt were not nice "because of your kit lens". Maybe someone here can point out what went wrong then.

The term nature has been loosely used nowadays, do you mean you shoot wildlife/birding or landscapes? Sports, what type of sports?

If you want to, post up some pictures that you felt were not nice "because of your kit lens". Maybe someone here can point out what went wrong then.
nature as in landscapes,sports as in soccer and f1(occasionally)

hmmm,i might not have the picture for the 400d right now,but i have some that were taken during the f1 with the panasonic fz18 which were kind of grainy

nature as in landscapes,sports as in soccer and f1(occasionally)

hmmm,i might not have the picture for the 400d right now,but i have some that were taken during the f1 with the panasonic fz18 which were kind of grainy

The FZ18 is a compact, and as most of them go, gets pretty noisy at ISO 400 and above. For soccer, you'll need some serious length if you shoot from the sidelines.

The FZ18 is a compact, and as most of them go, gets pretty noisy at ISO 400 and above. For soccer, you'll need some serious length if you shoot from the sidelines.
hm,soccer i only did once with my fz18.
i havent really used my 400d as the lens is not as good as the fz18. then again fz18 has leica lens.....:(

Budget?

If it's below S$500, you won't go very far if you want a very good performing zoom, like the tamron 17-50.

i think you should:

1. Get to know your system + kit lens better
2. Try/rent a different lens

as bro calebk mentioned, I also get the feel that you may not have fully explored how to use the 400D effectively. Even if you upgrade to a more high end camera body, it won't gurantee results. Spending more money not always = better photos. Try borrow or rent a "L" lens and see if the problem you feel really lies in the kit lens. Besides, when you press the shutter, its just the beginning for the photograph. There's still pp-ing to do etc.. So don't rush to conclusions and succumb to the BBB virus!!

i think you should:

1. Get to know your system + kit lens better
2. Try/rent a different lens

as bro calebk mentioned, I also get the feel that you may not have fully explored how to use the 400D effectively. Even if you upgrade to a more high end camera body, it won't gurantee results. Spending more money not always = better photos. Try borrow or rent a "L" lens and see if the problem you feel really lies in the kit lens. Besides, when you press the shutter, its just the beginning for the photograph. There's still pp-ing to do etc.. So don't rush to conclusions and succumb to the BBB virus!!
haha,BBB virus....

i think i've not used the 400d effectively. i've tried borrowing the tamron 17-50 lens from my friend and it works pretty well. I was thinking of getting a 17-200 lens for my holiday :D

Budget?

If it's below S$500, you won't go very far if you want a very good performing zoom, like the tamron 17-50.
hm....depends on 'upstairs' :(

i might be able to spend about 700 at most..... like a 17-200 lens or something:dunno:

any advice guys?

hm....depends on 'upstairs' :(

i might be able to spend about 700 at most..... like a 17-200 lens or something:dunno:

any advice guys?

Is there a 17-200 for Canon? If you are referring to 18-200, $700 is not enough.

If you are finding a compact better than your SLR, something must be wrong. Either, your compact is a super-compact that is so secret with amazing specs like we've never seen before (which is doubtful), or you have not realised the potential of your SLR system.

The Lumix has Leica optics. So what? I think the only reason why you're getting better results with the compact is because there is less user input needed to make a good image, as compared to a SLR system. Before you push blame to the lens or the 400D, please do yourself and the money spent on the SLR system a big favour, and find out how to get more out of the 400D. From what I see, you do not need additional gear; you need additional awareness.

Is there a 17-200 for Canon? If you are referring to 18-200, $700 is not enough.
hmmm,nope,i was refering to the sigma or tamron one....which one do u recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.