Advice needed: Minotla A1 or Sony 828

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cursor

May 24, 2003
cursor.instantlogic.com
Hi everyone,
Me thinking of getting a Digital can and had cut down the list to either an A1 or a Sony 828.
So I need advice from you all in which will be better choice? Best if the user of these camera can give some feedback on the pro and con of the camera.
Mainly I want to check the followings:
1) Does sony have a optional accessory to use AA batts?
2) can A1 still able to zoom while the shutter is depress (eg. during bulb mode)?
3) Does 828 have any bulb mode?
4) Can both camera use Mezt 32MZ3 flash? Which adapter should I get?

Thats all for now, hope to see some responses....

Cursor said:
Hi everyone,
Me thinking of getting a Digital can and had cut down the list to either an A1 or a Sony 828.
So I need advice from you all in which will be better choice? Best if the user of these camera can give some feedback on the pro and con of the camera.
2) can A1 still able to zoom while the shutter is depress (eg. during bulb mode)?

1) I don't think Sony can use AA battery.
2) Yes, as it is a mechnical zoom, you can zoom anytime you want, including during video capture.
3) Not sure
4) A1 can use that flash, use the adaptor SCA 3302 M4.

Some other consideration :
828 is huge and heavy
828 have lesser accessories compared to A1
828 has a faster lens
Both have good interface

frisky said:
1) I don't think Sony can use AA battery.
2) Yes, as it is a mechnical zoom, you can zoom anytime you want, including during video capture.
3) Not sure
4) A1 can use that flash, use the adaptor SCA 3302 M4.

Some other consideration :
828 is huge and heavy
828 have lesser accessories compared to A1
828 has a faster lens
Both have good interface

Thank for your response frisky, I will take your advice for consideration of choosing the camera. Btw are u having one of these?

Cursor said:
Hi everyone,

Well...actually I have both cameras sitting in my dry box now. The A1 is more suitable for a woman's hand as it is smaller than the F828 but is pack with many great features. The picture quality is not that bad either although the noise level and hot pixels will irritate me at higher ISO.
SOny does not have option for spare batt as yet and of course AA batt is a NO here.It also does not have a bulb mode as far as I know.
I am not too sure about the Metz 32MZ3 third party flash.

Cursor said:
Hi everyone,

Here's my version to your questions:
1) No, and I don't think they will ever have it, because the battery is an existing model for many years. If Sony wants to create one, they should have done it long ago. Also, there is simply not enough room to put 4xAA batteries.
2) Yes, and so does F828.
3) No bulb mode in F828, but you can manually select up to 30 sec.
4) Not sure. If you are referring to simple flash sync, that's not a problem, but if you refer to dedicated flash features, e.g. TTL, then I don't think F828 supports, because I've been looking for a 3rd party flash for F828 as well.

To add, the handling of F828 is better than A1, although A1 indeed is smaller, lighter and has more features. Because the F828 body tilts with the LCD monitor, it means you can control the functions easier at odd angles. The F828 burst mode captures more shots (7) compared to A1 (3).

If you compare solely on features, then A1 wins hands down - even DPreview gives it a full 10 marks for features! It's also cheaper than F828. But I choose F828 because it has better handling.

I am quite surprise about the mention of A1's grip being more suitable for ladies, as even with my fairly large hand I find the A1's grip a bit too big.

No I don't own either camera, but I have a 7hi and handled both the A1 & the 828 before. While I love the A1's feature and button layouts, (except it doesn't use AA batt in body and it lacks UHS of the 7hi), the grip is not as good as the 7hi's as far as my hand is concern.

While 828 has a good layout, I find handling the large lens to be a hassle.

Thanks for all your responses. I'm now more sided toward A1 then F828. Except for the night framing mode (AF lamp) and the manual focus in F828. The manual focus seem to response better then A1.
But anyway hope to look for a good deal.

pianodancer said:
If you compare solely on features, then A1 wins hands down - even DPreview gives it a full 10 marks for features! It's also cheaper than F828. But I choose F828 because it has better handling.

Handling/ergonomics is a very personal subject. I find the A1 handles better, while the 828's handgrip feels too big. But this ONLY APPLIES to ME. Another person will feel differently, since everyone's hands and perception are different. The only way is to go handle one at any of the major camera shops and judge for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.