Advice needed for Night Shot of Citylights and People

Status
Not open for further replies.

blowblue

Jan 20, 2007
485823029_78d60a245a_o.jpg

Ok i produced this picture after i saw a couple of guys doing somewhat similar thing.
Nikon D70s, ISO:200, Rear Flash (in-built flash), f/8.0, Exposure time:13 seconds.

My question is how can i get sharpness and prevent any blurriness on the person (i.e. me in the picture). I have tried not moving for 13 seconds but it cant be helped!

I will also need to maintain at f/8.0 to get clear picture of the background.

Help will be appreciated

push to ISO800, f4 0.8s...
if you still insist on using f8, good luck!

Wont that reduce the sharpness of the background?
you choose... you wan yourself sharp and with a slightly "bokeh" background or you wan a sharp background with a multi-split self?

and btw f4 ain't that bad for a wide angle...

what's the ideal aperture for general landscape shots?

F2.8 for landscape shot will render the foreground unfocused...wouldn't it?
Plus f2.8 is meant for something to put the subject in focus and the rest in bokeh.

F2.8 for landscape shot will render the foreground unfocused...wouldn't it?
Plus f2.8 is meant for something to put the subject in focus and the rest in bokeh.
well if you want a sharp background, by all mean, go f8... just don complain when you see that you got multiple heads in the photos. :sweat:
or noisy picture due to high ISO...

well if you want a sharp background, by all mean, go f8... just don complain when you see that you got multiple heads in the photos. :sweat:
or noisy picture due to high ISO...

some dslr can do a gd job of reducing noise such as the 5D even @ high iso.. :)

No really sure why you want to do such a shot but...

It might be possible to do it with full manual controls over the camera and an external flash and lots of trial and error.

you set the input the same settings under manual mode and then use an external flash and manually control the power.

After the flash goes off, you get out of the picture immediately and wait for the exposure to end. then you check if the foreground and you are horribly underexposed or overexposed and then compensate the settings on the flash accordingly.

normally, my setting for floodlight lited buildings is iso 100, f8, 4s.

if push to iso 800, than f8, 0.5s should do the job just the same. ask your human subject try to kep as still as possible for 0.5s lor. the flash should be able to capture as "sharp".

some dslr can do a gd job of reducing noise such as the 5D even @ high iso.. :)
if you using 5d, by all means go shoot at iso1600 or even 3200... but are you? or even most of us? :dunno:
even with a 5d, i would rather open up the aperture than pushing the iso to 3200 in this case (iso3200 f8 vs iso800 f4)

Ok i produced this picture after i saw a couple of guys doing somewhat similar thing.
Nikon D70s, ISO:200, Rear Flash (in-built flash), f/8.0, Exposure time:13 seconds.

My question is how can i get sharpness and prevent any blurriness on the person (i.e. me in the picture). I have tried not moving for 13 seconds but it cant be helped!

Help will be appreciated

hav you heard of the black cloth technique. :think:

if you using 5d, by all means go shoot at iso1600 or even 3200... but are you? or even most of us? :dunno:
even with a 5d, i would rather open up the aperture than pushing the iso to 3200 in this case (iso3200 f8 vs iso800 f4)

exhaust the aperture first before pumping the iso..

Help will be appreciated

you sure they put this setting to take people? Sure they did not did double exposure? sure they used f8? are you sure about what you doing also?

hav you heard of the black cloth technique. :think:
Do you mean stop down the aperture (or using manual), increase shutter speed to about 10s? Then when the camera exposes for about 5s, use the black cloth to cover the lens and get the guy to enter the scene and pose and using rear sync flash?

Do you mean stop down the aperture (or using manual), increase shutter speed to about 10s? Then when the camera exposes for about 5s, use the black cloth to cover the lens and get the guy to enter the scene and pose and using rear sync flash?
I would prefer the other way round... let the person go in first, focus, do a front sync... after the flash, use a black cloth and ask the person to run off...
but I think the problem with this is you might get some background image on the person! :dunno:

How to take great shots of kids(who are always moving ard) at night, capturing the background at the same time?

I tried to take using internal flash, ISO100 1/60 f5.0 settings but ended with the lousy pics shown

Actually, I think your background was a great shot but spoilt by the object (aka you) in the photo.

If you are taking the skyline alone, then it's OK to use the setting you use, just look at the result of your photo. But if people are included, than you will need to set your ISO to higher so to have shorter shutter open time, cause human is almost to keep absolute still like a structure can, no matter how 'still' you think you are, the light sensitivity of the camera can still capture the even smallest and tinest movement when you thought you didn't move a bit.

How to take great shots of kids(who are always moving ard) at night, capturing the background at the same time?

I tried to take using internal flash, ISO100 1/60 f5.0 settings but ended with the lousy pics shown
Hi,

Perhaps you might want to consider to start your own thread? Cause it's not nice to hijack other's thread to ask question for yourself. There is no limitation to start a thread to a a similar topic by different members.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.