Advice needed for Newbie switching to DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazzy

Feb 11, 2006
Singapore
Hi,

Currently I am using a PnS camera but using its manual functions to try and improve on my skills. Decided recently to upgrade to a DSLR. Most of the shots involved scenery, portraits and indoor. Currently on a budget :( therefore was thinking of the following as a inital setup:

1. 350D
2. EF 50mm f/1.8 II
3. Speedlite 420EX - 2nd hand ( Does Speedlite 430EX suits 350D?)

Kindly advice if this setup is alright and what are the other stuffs that I should be considering be it current or future setup. Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for the reply.

Was deciding between 350D and 400D intially. But it seems the major diff was 10mp, 5fps and sensor cleaner. As I am on a budget, was thinking getting 350D and with the money save, get better lens etc. Feel free to correct me. BTW i am a canon fan...

Thanks for the reply.

Was deciding between 350D and 400D intially. But it seems the major diff was 10mp, 5fps and sensor cleaner. As I am on a budget, was thinking getting 350D and with the money save, get better lens etc. Feel free to correct me. BTW i am a canon fan...
iirc 400d and 350d offer 3fps only... 20d and 30d are the one offering 5fps. :dunno:

Hi,

Currently I am using a PnS camera but using its manual functions to try and improve on my skills. Decided recently to upgrade to a DSLR. Most of the shots involved scenery, portraits and indoor. Currently on a budget :( therefore was thinking of the following as a inital setup:

1. 350D
2. EF 50mm f/1.8 II
3. Speedlite 420EX - 2nd hand ( Does Speedlite 430EX suits 350D?)

Kindly advice if this setup is alright and what are the other stuffs that I should be considering be it current or future setup. Thanks for the comments.
Do include the Kit lens too.:) I would think that you will need a decent wide angle lens.

Also remember the provision for extra batteries.

And yes, the 430ex is compatibale with the 350D.:)

Get a kit lens on the cheap either as a kit or in the BnS forum. The 50mm 1.8 is a good value for money lens but it could be too long after you factor in the 1.6 crop for a lot of applications.

The 350d has no problem with the 430ex so you can use it no problem.

Thanks guys for the advice:) . Opps :sweat: . Thanks ExplorerZ for the clarification.

Any comment on the choice between 350D and 400D. Is it true as what ortega said that I should have gone for the latest tech?

I thought kit lens comes with the body when you buy a new set? Is the choice of Speedlite 420ex/430ex a gd choice? What are the other accessories that I should be consider? e.g. lens hood, filters etc?

Yupz I was thinking that after I have save enough, I will get a Zoom len and maybe a wide angle len as well. Any recommendation for both so I can KIV? At the mean time, I will just have to make the best out of my budget and practise on it while saving for other lens.

Welcome all comments.

Thanks guys for the advice:) . Opps :sweat: . Thanks ExplorerZ for the clarification.

Any comment on the choice between 350D and 400D. Is it true as what ortega said that I should have gone for the latest tech?

I thought kit lens comes with the body when you buy a new set? Is the choice of Speedlite 420ex/430ex a gd choice? What are the other accessories that I should be consider? e.g. lens hood, filters etc?

Yupz I was thinking that after I have save enough, I will get a Zoom len and maybe a wide angle len as well. Any recommendation for both so I can KIV? At the mean time, I will just have to make the best out of my budget and practise on it while saving for other lens.

Welcome all comments.
stick with your kit lens for a while. if you shoot mainly wide, then save up for the Canon 10-22. if you do tele, might want to get the sigma 70-300 or 70-200 f4 (if you looking for quality and speed).
as for kit lens, stick with it until you got enough cash to upgrade.

I would say dun jump into getting lens / flash if you are relatively new in DSLR. You really wouldn't know where you are heading to going forward. As many said, the kit lens should be enough for a start and slowly discover.

Like i always say... upgrading is the killing thing in this hobby.... so for the 2 items you mentioned 50mm F1.8 you might want a F1.4 USM.... 430EX for a 580EX.... or you might just settle for a zoom lens like 17-85mm IS USM for a wide range.

However said so you might have prior experience or someone advising you so.... its going to be difficult to advise.

Start shooting and stop pondering....

Cheers

Just thought of something... do you guys all have dry cabinet to keep your equipments? Wondering if there will be good bargain during the IT show in Nov or better bargain at the few usual shops.

If you are getting a DSLR system is better to have a dry cabi, it helps prevent fungus growth.

IMO at the IT show they normally bundle freebies, which may not be useful. So you might be better off buying from the usual shops.

kopi sounds good

On lah .... I buy :cool:

To the rest of the guys, sorry for straying away from the discussion ....
Sometimes we just need to lighten up a little ....:bsmilie:

Ortega : I agree with you that new tech is better. Am also thinking of getting a DSLR but still hesitating between Nikon and Canon. Any comment?

Tazzy : have you considered Nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.