Advice needed for low light shooting...

Sigfied

Jan 3, 2008
Hi All, I am pretty new to DSLR photography and I am having a trip to the Arctic in Dec to take some photos of the Northen Lights or Aurora Borealis...Currently I own a Canon 40D and a normal kit lens. I am thinking of investing a 60D and a good lens for that. Anyone has any good advice to share? My budget is about 3K-4K..since most of my budget is used up for paying the trip . :cry:

I done some macro before, but for scenery and low light, it's something new for me. Gladly take any advice or pointers on this...

Thanks.

i suggest you stick with your 40D and get a 10-22 for ultra-wide perspective, good for covering vast landscapes, also a tripod too.

upgrading to a 60D will not give you much major improvement, unless you shoot video and need the swivel LCD screen.

alternatively you can sell your 40D and top up for a 5DMK2 or 3, then pair it with a 17-40L.

if you go for the MK2, you can even stretch for the 16-35L, or just go with the 17-40L and save the change for rainy days.

with the full frame sensor, you will get better dynamic range and ISO performance.

No need. Just buy a tripod and a remote trigger and extra batt. You will not notice any benefit from upgrading body, and your kit lens will cover your basic needs.

with the full frame sensor, you will get better dynamic range and ISO performance.

Not that important for aurora borealis shooting. :)

Not that important for aurora borealis shooting. :)

yeah but just pointing out the key improvement, if one is to step up to the full frame arena.

Make sure any tripod you buy for the trip has spikes so you can stick in into the ice.

Thanks guys, I guess I will try to pick up a lens first. However, I am concern there seem to be something wrong with my 40D night contrast, I went to take the shots for Stanchart run last year, at the wee hours, my photos turn out to be either too yellowish or very dark, I am not sure if the color balance have problem or it's the user's problem..haha..but I guess I will try with the lens first and try to go and take some night shots at MBS before deciding to buy a new one.. Thanks...

Any further advice or tips are welcome... Thanks really appreciate it...

Thanks guys, I guess I will try to pick up a lens first. However, I am concern there seem to be something wrong with my 40D night contrast, I went to take the shots for Stanchart run last year, at the wee hours, my photos turn out to be either too yellowish or very dark, I am not sure if the color balance have problem or it's the user's problem..haha..but I guess I will try with the lens first and try to go and take some night shots at MBS before deciding to buy a new one.. Thanks...

Sure sounds more like WB problem + metering problem which usually both are user problems. If possible, shoot RAW to correct WB. But for metering issue, refer to the histogram to see if your subject is properly exposed, then do the remaining during PP.

Buy the best glass you can afford.

The desire to buy gear needs no justification, reasons or excuses. Just buy it!