Advice needed for buying a second hand car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silence Sky

Deregistered
Sep 5, 2006
Dear Brother and sister:

I am seeking advice on buying a second hand car.
What is the procedure? and most importantly, what are the pitfalls and how to advoid it?

Who is responsible for the traffic fines, especially those from the across the causeway?
Anywhere to check?

Thank you very much..

this is better lah ...

http://www.m3-challenge.com/index.php?id=2&L=0

No depreciation, no need to pay road tax, erp charges, insurance, petrol, fines or even the lawyer when didn't park properly ... kekeke

oh forgot ... it is also free ;)

You are of course not responsible for fines incurred by the previous owner...

A few things you can do to ease your trouble if the previous owner was a real screwed up person. Write in to Traffic Police, HDB/URA, Msian Police(?) and explain that you are now the new owner of this vehicle. Attach a copy of an official document showing when you took possession of the car, and state in no uncertain terms that you request that they not hold you responsible for any offences incurred prior to the date of you taking possession.

Pitfalls... Do beware of open cat (E) used cars. Do your homework. Check the Cat A/B COEs of that same bidding. This will have an implication on the true value of your Cat E COE. Not what you see on the vehicle log card. Goto the onemotoring website if you are unsure of what I am talking about.

I have heard of a few cases of buyers happily buying a Cat E car at X price. Only to realise that it is worth far less because the prevailing Cat A of that bidding was $50

And most importantly is look for a few example of the same car and check the service history and VIN history.Then,look for unmatched paint body parts and jack the car up and see the chassis condition(Bring for inspection).

Thank you very much CSlye, Yatlapball, Kid shooter for sharing your advises.

In singapore, I think I can deal with the fines easily, but once I entered Malaysia they will confiscate the car first unitl I pay up. This is my one of my major concern.

I will be responsible for any debt attached to the car, does it apply in Singapore? If yes, how can I check for it?

AFAIK, msia side dun care who's the owner. the fines are attached to the car... so, if u happened to buy a car that has unpaid fines, u'll be asked to pay at the causeway. i believe that there's a website run by the msian authorities for u to check a couple of years ago. dunno if its still active. :think:

Dear Brother and sister:

I am seeking advice on buying a second hand car.
What is the procedure? and most importantly, what are the pitfalls and how to advoid it?

Procedure is very simple. Just go to the dealer and write a cheque. Or, if buying from a private seller, just write a cheque and do the necessary paperwork with LTA and with the banks (if there is an outstanding car loan).

Avoiding pitfalls is a lot harder. The most important pitfall is getting a lemon. Second most important one is overpaying. To avoid lemons, you'd have to know something about cars, but even the most thorough inspections cannot reveal everything. To avoid overpaying, you have to know market prices very well.

AFAIK, msia side dun care who's the owner. the fines are attached to the car... so, if u happened to buy a car that has unpaid fines, u'll be asked to pay at the causeway. i believe that there's a website run by the msian authorities for u to check a couple of years ago. dunno if its still active. :think:

:thumbsdown: nothing against the people, but the authorities are really screwed up over there

if the car has a new coat of paint on the outside, check inside the engine housing area if the paint is new.

If yes, chances are the car has had a massive head on.

Do a lot of s-curve, over humps test drive, at least u will know the condition of the suspension and shock absorbers. Listen for clicking sounds.

i think only continential cars are worth to buy as 2nd hand, for japanese or korean cars, it may be "cheaper" to buy new ones.

Oh yes. Speaking of checking the condition of the car. When you have more or less made up your mind and very serious about buying the car. Talk to the dealer. Insist on a VICOM inspection. If it scores an A with no major problems, you will pay the inspection fee and buy the car. If the results show otherwise, you do not have to pay and reserve the right to not purchase.

I've done this with a few dealers before. No problems. Those that go "aiyaaaahh no need lah. i guarantee it is A condition", I give them a cold stare and walk away.

Oh yes. Speaking of checking the condition of the car. When you have more or less made up your mind and very serious about buying the car. Talk to the dealer. Insist on a VICOM inspection. If it scores an A with no major problems, you will pay the inspection fee and buy the car. If the results show otherwise, you do not have to pay and reserve the right to not purchase.

I've done this with a few dealers before. No problems. Those that go "aiyaaaahh no need lah. i guarantee it is A condition", I give them a cold stare and walk away.

good advise...:thumbsup:

Procedure is very simple. Just go to the dealer and write a cheque. Or, if buying from a private seller, just write a cheque and do the necessary paperwork with LTA and with the banks (if there is an outstanding car loan).

Avoiding pitfalls is a lot harder. The most important pitfall is getting a lemon. Second most important one is overpaying. To avoid lemons, you'd have to know something about cars, but even the most thorough inspections cannot reveal everything. To avoid overpaying, you have to know market prices very well.

Thanks Waileong..

You have any tips to avoid lemon?
The dealer has three cars, same make and same year.
How to choose the best one?

Thanks nightwolf.

if the car has a new coat of paint on the outside, check inside the engine housing area if the paint is new.

If yes, chances are the car has had a massive head on.

Do a lot of s-curve, over humps test drive, at least u will know the condition of the suspension and shock absorbers. Listen for clicking sounds.

Thanks for sharing.

Today I learnt from a dealer, he said stick your finger into the exhaust. If got black soot and oily, means the engine is burning oil.

Thanks Waileong..

You have any tips to avoid lemon?
The dealer has three cars, same make and same year.
How to choose the best one?

I wish I had. I wouldn't have lost so much $$ if I had.

Yes, the dealer did mention send it to STA for inspection, it cost $102.72.
If got 4 star must buy the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.