Advice needed for a wide angle lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingkor

Dec 18, 2006
A friend emailed me for advice on the purchase of a lens and as I am not a DSLR user, my knowledge is rather limited, so I am turning to members for consultation.

I re-produce his email for clarity:

"I have a Canon D300 and D400 for my company.

My staff brought to my attention this morning that the angle is not wide enough for certain shots he took yesterday.

Both the camera lens' are EFS 18-55mm.

Should I be looking at EFS 17-85mm for a wider angle? Price for this lens is $1,020.

May I have your opinion and could you recommend other 3rd party lens such as from Tokina, Sigma etc."

Please help him with your recommendations as to the proper lens to buy.

Are there any parties renting lens'?

Or maybe, to contain costs, can someone explain how to do Panoramas - would that help solve his problem without having to buy or rent a new lens?

Many thanks.

If he's getting another lens, I'd suggest the Tokina 12-24. I'd rather spend $800+ on a lens that gives you an extra 6mm than spending $1k on one that gives you 1mm.

If he's getting another lens, I'd suggest the Tokina 12-24. I'd rather spend $800+ on a lens that gives you an extra 6mm than spending $1k on one that gives you 1mm.

Thank you Kit.

May I suggest the Canon 10-22mm EFS wide angle lens, its one of the best around at $1050 (not grey) Thats 8mm more and its Canon ;)

Agreed. If you friend needs a wide angle, he can look at the Canon 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24mm and Sigma's 10-20mm and 12-24mm.

Just to add on, do be aware that the list price of lenses (esp Canon) are usually higher than the price that you can actually get at the more popular shops around (e.g. Cathay Photo, John 3:16, MS Colour etc.). Do check the price list that our dear members have drawn up for a better gauge (http://clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131801&page=30). The 17-85 can be had for just under $900!

Also, rental services are plentiful. I've rented a lens (16-35mm) from Peridotpix (http://www.peridotpix.com/rental/equipment.html) before and was very happy with it. Also members like paradigm do rental services, just check out the "Services Offered" section in the forum. Prices are generally around $20-40 per day.

Thanks very much for all the advice.

Will get my friend to follow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.