Advice needed for 1st time DSLR owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubagolfer

Feb 3, 2010
East
Body = D7
Lens = 17-55 F2.8

Any recommendations on other lenses would be appreciated if travel photography is priority.
Also good chance of venturing into other aspects , macro and nature

Last edited:
Hello...welcome.

You are using the Canon 7D and not a D7 as stated right?
You may want to consider getting a Macro lens and flash.

Last edited:
Body = D7
Lens = 17-55 F2.8
Any recommendations on other lenses would be appreciated if travel photography is priority.
Also good chance of venturing into other aspects , macro and nature

What limitations does the current lens have when used for travel photography? If you can't answer the question stop bothering about it, go shooting till you find the answer. Which will be only your answer, of course. Different people will come up with different lens preferences for travel shooting.

Hello...welcome.

You are using the Canon 7D and not a D7 as stated right?
You may want to consider getting a Macro lens and flash.

Oops, yes 7D

What limitations does the current lens have when used for travel photography? If you can't answer the question stop bothering about it, go shooting till you find the answer. Which will be only your answer, of course. Different people will come up with different lens preferences for travel shooting.

Makes perfect sense what you are saying ....

Welcome

Your current set up is more than enough. Shoot more than decide whether you want wider or more on the tele end

Hi Welcome.

Travel - For most, one lens like 18-200 f3.5-5.6 that do it all is preferred for travel phoography, saved u the hassle of lens changing with the drawback of variable aperture (tat doesnt allow u to optimize ur shots in low or trickly lighting conditions.)

Macro - get an dedicated macro lens , u need to be precise though, wad kind exactly?Flora or Bugs? As diff focal length serve diff purpose. We have 602.8, 100 f2.8, 105 f2.8, 150 f2.8 ,180 f2.8 (both canon and 3rd party's to name a few) Hope to achieve higher magnification? MPE65 is ur answer..

Nature - like above, too brief. Want to shoot wildlife?Bird photography? U need at least a 70-200 with TC for that extra reach, else u have to look at telephoto primes if you have the dough. (we have 300,400,500,600mm) if not u shd take 3rd party's options into considerations.

HTH

Welcome to CS :) 17-55 is a good walk about/travel lens. Unless you are into landscape, then an UWA lens would fit in. But as for now, your gear is pretty sufficient since you are a 1st time DSLR owner.
If you are not going for holidays in the near future, I would suggest that you read up the manual & get used to the functions of the camera & start shooting. Till you find where your interests are, then venture into buying lenses & accesories. Happy shooting ;)

Get a wide angle prime w/ big aperture & a flash..
Be prepared when natural lighting is not readily available..

Portability and weight comes into play when you consider travel photography, unless you are not the one carrying the gears.

Probably you are think through the weight, the gears (eg. tripod or external flash) and the bag you want to carry and bring along and from there you would more or less be able to determine if you just want to carry 1 len or bring multiple lenses.

Your 17-55mm is a good walkabout lens that should cover general shooting. If you need tele, you could add 70-300mm. If you need wide then you can look at 10-22mm.

As Numnumball mention, 18-200mm is a vesatile travel lens since it covers a wide range of focal length and that saves you the hassle of bringing mutiple lenses and changing lens. This is ideal if you want to carry just one lens.

Hi scubagolfer

I used to start shooting with an el cheapo 18-135mm kit lens
then i got into the habit of using a wide zoom, a 18-200, and a 50mm prime as a travel setup.
Now i use a different set of lenses to shoot.
Things will evolve as u start to find what u usually like to shoot, and u will slowly know what u eventually need.

Anyhow, ur 7D and 17-55 is a pretty good to go for travel too. Try shooting more often and see

ryan

wow....1st time DSLR and it's 7D + 17-55.
how i wish i can afford it....i am still saving $$ to get a 17-50..pity me...

Thanks all for the sound advice .... looks like practice and more practice before one know what one need ...

Macro - looking into that as I have been taking macro underwater wild life using Olympus 5060 as small as 1cm length. But the result left quite a bit to be desired though maybe I am suspect i might not have fully utilise the full capability of the camera. Am still considering whether should use my 7D for underwater as the casing/strobes etc cost almost as much as the lens and body ...

As a first time DSLR user, i have been reading quite a bit about using the different functions and testing it out. My next travel is in late march, so i guess i have quite a bit iof time to test first.

Status
Not open for further replies.