Advice needed! buying dslr 1000D. thanks!

jezzel

Mar 23, 2010
singapore
Hi all, I'm considering buying a dslr and some advise from the more experienced would be greatly appreciated! :D

Buying a dslr is a given. I have been enjoying photography and definitely want to upgrade to a dslr eventually. What has been holding me back is the fear of making a bad decision on what to buy (its a costly investment!), since i had no experience with dslrs. so i decided to bid my time improving my photography first while trying to gain more exposure and understanding before buying a DSLR.

Right now i am considering buying a 1000D second hand. I've had the chance to borrow a 1000D on two occasions, for a week each, and also a 40D for another week. however, i dont think i'm able to make any proper judgements or comparisons of the different models since 3 weeks in total of handling a dslr is really little! the experience did however made me really really want to trade in my current powershot SX10IS (which i now feel was a mistake to buy) for a dslr asap!

knowing that the 1000D is a entry level dslrmy main question is: is it worth it to buy a 1000D? or will i outgrow it quickly? is it better to just spend a little more on something better?

i guess what i need to know is what are the main drawbacks of this camera and will they become a big hindrance quickly or not. also, am i right to say even if i 'outgrow' it within a year, i can always sell it off again if i keep it in a good condition?

ANY input or comments at all is really really appreciated!

thanks in advance! :) :) :)
(ps. i can provide links to some of my photos if needed. i mostly like taking pictures of plants and animals, but i dont think i should be limiting myself just yet!)

get a 450D instead. the LCD screen is larger and there is spot metering which 1000D doesn't have. 1000D also dun have remote.

Although I'm not a Canon user, I've had the chance to try both cameras for... an hour or so in total.

The 40D definitely feels much better to hold than the 1000D.
I'm not sure how different the specifications of the 2 cameras are, but I imagine that the 1000D's small viewfinder will really bother me if I need to focus manually. Also, the auto-focus speed and number of focus points you can select gives the 40D an advantage.

With the better feel and weight, the 40D will definitely be a better choice if you intend to get some larger lenses in the future as it will handle better.

The Canon users and the old birds will be able to give you more opinions.

I am also newbie like you and was like checking all over CS & the web before I bought my first nikon DSLR couple weeks back :)

Just get something within budget and you're comfortable with for a start. Later you will probably upgrade body, but the lens you can keep and reuse hopefully. For 2nd hand body, might want to check sutter count to see how much 'life span' left.

I still try hard to resist looking in personal classifieds...:bsmilie:

for a person with small hands (finger span < 15cm), it was painful to carry a 1000D for 4 hours.
the 450D feels better in your hands, and I doubt the price difference is significant.

40D is around 300 more (talking about 2nd hand market in bns here), if you budget is not so constraint after that (get good lenses), get the 40D.
please take note that any xxD or xxxD camera will drop price to 500. Such is cruelty of digi cams.

really? i didnt experience any particular discomfort handling the 1000D, although i have pretty small hands too. then again maybe i have little other experiences to compare with.

>.< $$ is always the limiting factor hurhur...

thanks for your input! xD

really? i didnt experience any particular discomfort handling the 1000D, although i have pretty small hands too. then again maybe i have little other experiences to compare with.

>.< $$ is always the limiting factor hurhur...

thanks for your input! xD

i have small hands too. 450D (ex user) grip is better. :) besides, 450D had a slightly higher resale value then 1000D.

i'm a 450d user. and i'm happy with it. 1000d looks.... too kiddy for me:p

Work according to your budget, if u really have tight budget, check out 1000D.
1000D has similar front grip as 350D, 400D which will be subjected to peeling after long usage. 1 good way to check out the durability of the cameras is by walking in shops like Courts, or Canon showroom at Vivo itself. The 1000D on display should be badly abused by many different users since it is on display.

U will also consider the lens u might buy in future. Comfort in handgrip becomes more important as ur lens gets heavier. I personally didn't have a deep impression on the 1000D grip, but I do find my 350D grip is shallow and pretty uncomfortable. It has the same texture grip instead of rubbergrip like on 450D.

I personally like 550D as it fits my small hand really perfectly. Camera like 40D, 50D are too big for my small hands. :)

i have small hands too. 450D (ex user) grip is better. :) besides, 450D had a slightly higher resale value then 1000D.
!! How did u managed to control ur 5DMarkII? lolx

been a ex 1000D user
and it nv failed me.

consider it as a good entry level dslr, it is enough unless you want a faster fps
or better grip of the body.

my advice is:

1. buy second hand. if you decide to sell it off later, you wont lose as much as selling a new one.

2. don't forget to factor in the cost of your lens as it will probably cost just as much as the body. many people are so driven by the camera model they forget about lens. invest in a good lens. a body in my opinion is just as good unless there is significant improvement in the subsequent models. in most times, they only become obsolete in relative terms.

i am 1000D user too.

The main things is how to fully use of your camera, if u spend so much money and only use once or twice a month, then better consider cheaper one to start with. Dont forget u have to get filters, an extra camera bag, a dry cabinet, tripod, lens hood, maybe an extra lens, extra battery, flash... all these can cost u a lot of money.

!! How did u managed to control ur 5DMarkII? lolx

surprisingly i have no problem with the grip! haha... initially not so used to it but now loving it already... since the cam is heavier... my hand dun shake as much (probably due to the weight of the cam)

i am 1000D user too.

The main things is how to fully use of your camera, if u spend so much money and only use once or twice a month, then better consider cheaper one to start with. Dont forget u have to get filters, an extra camera bag, a dry cabinet, tripod, lens hood, maybe an extra lens, extra battery, flash... all these can cost u a lot of money.

agree..

to TS: you still need to have extra money for other stuffs..
more important is the LENS! HAHA! expensive lens need expensive filter. so start counting money ;p

Got enough money to first to buy a,
Dry cabinet or dry box
Camera bag
At least a kit lens with the camera
Preferable a solid tripod (Please search for reviews in CS before asking which tripod)
Those budget are also to be considered in before buying the camera.

1000D to me feels like plastic toy, somemore have no spot metering.
Lastly, juz a question. Have you done a seach about people posting about 1000D in clubsnap?

get a 450D instead. the LCD screen is larger and there is spot metering which 1000D doesn't have. 1000D also dun have remote.

1000D no spot metering? Like that CMI liao. Spot metering is so useful and important apart from manual.

Got enough money to first to buy a,
Dry cabinet or dry box
Camera bag
At least a kit lens with the camera
Preferable a solid tripod (Please search for reviews in CS before asking which tripod)
Those budget are also to be considered in before buying the camera.

1000D to me feels like plastic toy, somemore have no spot metering.
Lastly, juz a question. Have you done a seach about people posting about 1000D in clubsnap?

Aiyo yo ... how can u said that! Pls do respect for those 1000D user!

1000D no spot metering? Like that CMI liao. Spot metering is so useful and important apart from manual.

dats why i ask TS to get 450D, the build and grip better and price not far away, next time still got a bit more resale value then 1000D. i just sold mine (body only) for $600 sometime back before getting my 5DMKII. :) I think 1000D now can only fetch 400+ (body only).