Advice needed again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis247

Jul 10, 2005
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
Hi all IR Gurus and Masters,

I have made another attempt with IR Photography but not sure if I am doing it the correct way so I will like to humbly seek all your advices again.

IR_31stJAn2006.jpg

This Photo was taken today around my house, this time using my 50mm with Aperture of f8 and above, tripod mount with Hoya R72 IR Filter. My question is : I keep wondering about the sky and cloud because the colour looks different from those I see in this subforum. Am I doing it the correct way, is my WB setting correct?

Please advice. Thank you very much.

Hope u wont mind i ask u afew question;)

1)izit a sunny day? (it looks like goin to rain)

2)did u preset ur W/B on de patch of grass? (did de preset show GOOD)

3)F8, wats ur shutter speed like?

4)i believe u did PP in photoshop, can i look at de pic b4 PP?

Sorry, hope im not askin too much.. we r here to share:lovegrin:

Cheers!

Incastasman said:
Hope u wont mind i ask u afew question;)

1)izit a sunny day? (it looks like goin to rain)

2)did u preset ur W/B on de patch of grass? (did de preset show GOOD)

3)F8, wats ur shutter speed like?

4)i believe u did PP in photoshop, can i look at de pic b4 PP?

Sorry, hope im not askin too much.. we r here to share:lovegrin:

Cheers!

Hi there,

Sorry for the wait, I was trying to upload the pictures into the hosting site. So sorry.

1) I will say cloudy yet sunny day (can see the following photo without the IR filter, WB set back to Auto)

WithoutIRFilter.jpg

2) Yap, I use the the grass to set my WB, the preset shows GOOD

3) The aperture for this photo is at F11, Shutter Speed at 1/2 sec, Exposure Compensation set at +0.7

4) Original Photo before PS as follows :

IRoriginal_31stJan2006.jpg

No problem at all. We are here to share and learn. :)

Francis247 said:
Hi there,

Sorry for the wait, I was trying to upload the pictures into the hosting site. So sorry.

1) I will say cloudy yet sunny day (can see the following photo without the IR filter, WB set back to Auto)

Just one thing.

Cloudy day [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]≠[/FONT] Sunny day, but = soft shadows
Sunny day = distinct shadows

Sunny day and cloudy day make lot of different on IR photography.

hey that's a good try at IR photography. anyway, i'm thinking of trying out IR photography. but am thinking if a R72 filter is expensive. can anyone tell me about the price range for that filter? coz i'm like a jc student with not much spare cash. thanks.

DodoAngel said:
hey that's a good try at IR photography. anyway, i'm thinking of trying out IR photography. but am thinking if a R72 filter is expensive. can anyone tell me about the price range for that filter? coz i'm like a jc student with not much spare cash. thanks.
It starts at around SG$35 for a 52mm and rises exponentially to a whopping SG$250 for a 77mm :bigeyes:

Cheers,
Matt

Francis247 said:
Hi there,

(Image removed)

2) Yap, I use the the grass to set my WB, the preset shows GOOD

3) The aperture for this photo is at F11, Shutter Speed at 1/2 sec, Exposure Compensation set at +0.7

4) Original Photo before PS as follows :

(Image removed)

No problem at all. We are here to share and learn. :)
I'm curious, what post processing technique did you use? A standard R/B channel swap with auto levels and desaturation of the reds and magenta should give you an image like the one below:

original.jpg

The post processed photo you posted looked too orangey. :think:

Cheers,
Matt

actually the colours can be change by u yrself
by what u like for the sky and etc
doesnt means that sky must be whitish or bluish
=)

Like Saraluna said you can adjust the colors to your preference. Don't be afraid to play with the adjustments, especially in the Hue/Saturation.

From your color pic, looks like ths sun is not bright enough. I would suggest you set your CWB again, this time on a really bright patch of green grass. I may be wrong about the CWB but try a few different CWB settings to get one that gives you what you want.

I did some adjustments with your pic to try to get the blue sky that you wanted. But looks like there more Cyan than Blue, that's why I suggested your try setting your CWB again. Sorry I may have missed it, but what ISO did you use?

Here's my try
IRoriginal_31stJan2006-1.jpg

Francis247 said:
Hi Matt,

I actually use the IR PS Action download from ark19's signature. Didn't really tweak much on my self.

Regards
Francis
Hi Francis,

Looks like you're gonna have to do some experimenting to get a color that is to your liking. Just tweak the channel mixer and hue/saturation setting until you arrive at a mixture that pleases you.

Start with the basic channel swapping + auto level post processing and move on from there. You'll eventually get to try black and white, black and white film effect and even color overlay.

Cheers,
Matt

teerex said:
Here's my try
Hi Teerex,

Happy New Year!

Gong Hee Fatt Choy!!

Great to see you posting again...:cheergal:

How've you been?

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt Happy New Year to you too.

It's been a long while since I posted but I've been keeping myself in tune to what's happening here.

I'm fine but have been out of action for a while, hope to come back to do some shooting and learning as soon as possible.

Sorry for a little OT Francis.

Cheers.

Hi Saraluna, Teerex and Deadpixel,

Really thanks for your advice. I will try to play around more with the PS options, but I must admit that my PS skills is really just the bare minimum. I will try harder next time and experiment more. Thanks for all the expert opinions. BTW, my ISO is set at 200, will that affect the photos?

Thank you.

teerex said:
Hi Matt Happy New Year to you too.

It's been a long while since I posted but I've been keeping myself in tune to what's happening here.

I'm fine but have been out of action for a while, hope to come back to do some shooting and learning as soon as possible.

Sorry for a little OT Francis.

Cheers.

No problem at all.

Happy New Year to everyone here. Thanks for the valuable advices and help. Hope to learn more about IR Photography.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

Hi Francis, I got the same result what Matt has... You can try covering the viewfinder when taking IR shot. I experienced it before and it helps. Just my thought :p

Cheers!

photoexpress said:
HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

Hi Francis, I got the same result what Matt has... You can try covering the viewfinder when taking IR shot. I experienced it before and it helps. Just my thought :p

Cheers!

Hi photoexpress,

Thanks for the advice. I do hear about covering the viewfinder when taking photos, but how will that help? I mean in technical-wise as I am wondering about the working mechanism behind covering the viewfinder. I did a search in this forum but got too many results and not sure which one is relevant. Please advice. Thank you.

Francis247 said:
Hi photoexpress,

Thanks for the advice. I do hear about covering the viewfinder when taking photos, but how will that help? I mean in technical-wise as I am wondering about the working mechanism behind covering the viewfinder. I did a search in this forum but got too many results and not sure which one is relevant. Please advice. Thank you.

It is ok, I did a Yahoo search and found the following :

"I you leave the camera on any auto setting and your eye away from the viewfinder when pressing the shutter espec if your using a cable release then light entering the eye piece will effect your exp, the blind will stop this"

"The light entering through the viewfinder will affect the metering, causing shots to be underexposed."

Just to share with those who are interested to know. Thanks.

Francis247 said:
Hi Saraluna, Teerex and Deadpixel,

Really thanks for your advice. I will try to play around more with the PS options, but I must admit that my PS skills is really just the bare minimum. I will try harder next time and experiment more. Thanks for all the expert opinions. BTW, my ISO is set at 200, will that affect the photos?

Thank you.

Anytime you need any questions answered, just ask. Plenty of guys here who are most willing to help.

Most of us here started from scatch and learnt along the way. Deadpixel is one guy who has helped me a lot when I first started probing around with post processing.

ISO does affect your pictures in a way. The higher the ISO you use will introduce a lot of noise/graininess into your pictures.

I noticed some graininess in your posted picture and my post processed attempt. Thought that you were using a high ISO.

Keep shooting and post.

I did some de-noise with the pic I pp to rid the graininess.
IRoriginal_31stJan2006-3.jpg

teerex said:
Anytime you need any questions answered, just ask. Plenty of guys here who are most willing to help.

Most of us here started from scatch and learnt along the way. Deadpixel is one guy who has helped me a lot when I first started probing around with post processing.

ISO does affect your pictures in a way. The higher the ISO you use will introduce a lot of noise/graininess into your pictures.

I noticed some graininess in your posted picture and my post processed attempt. Thought that you were using a high ISO.

Keep shooting and post.

I did some de-noise with the pic I pp to rid the graininess.
*image removed*

Hi Teerex,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to guide me along. I did sharpen my photo a little using USM, maybe that is why the noise/graininess appear.

Anyway, really appreciate all the kind help, advices and guidance from all the people here in this subforum. I will practise harder on IR Photography and also polish up my PS skills.

Once again, thank you. :sweatsm:

Regards
Francis

Status
Not open for further replies.