Advice needed: 50mm f/1.8g vs 50mm f/1.4g

Vezzo

Aug 13, 2012
Singapore
Hi ClubSnappers,

I am new to photography and meanwhile planning to purchase a prime lens. I would like to gather some information regarding the differences between 50mm f/1.4g and f/1.8g as well as difference between 50mm and 35mm?

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thank you!!

Vezzo said:
Hi ClubSnappers,

I am new to photography and meanwhile planning to purchase a prime lens. I would like to gather some information regarding the differences between 50mm f/1.4g and f/1.8g as well as difference between 50mm and 35mm?

Depends on what u will be shooting most of the time. 35mm is more versatile. If $$ is not an issue, go for f1.4 as it will be useful in low light condition.

35mm is good for indoor but sometimes you will get frustrated because it can't produce a nice bokeh if you shot from a distance.my recommendation is to get both 35, 50, 1.8, cost abt 350 for both in buy and sell section.
It's 35afs and 50mmafd, just in case of doubt

Thanks guys for the replies!!

If I am looking for the one to shoot portrait and landscape, will 35mm f/1.4g af-s be the better choice? Am I right the only difference between 50mm f/1.4g and f/1.8g is the aperture only?

Last edited:
Depending on the brand of the lenses, you might want to check up on the focusing speed of the lenses.

If I am looking for the one to shoot portrait and landscape, will 35mm f/1.4g af-s be the better choice? Am I right the only difference between 50mm f/1.4g and f/1.8g is the aperture only?
Maybe you just want to read some reviews? One starting point: Nikon / Nikkor (APS-C) Lens Tests
You forget the focal length and resulting Depth of Field here.

You can also buy 2nd hand lenses here and try.if you don't like it you can still sell it at the same price you buy.

Vezzo said:
Hi ClubSnappers,

35mm and 50mm are the focal length of the lenses. Difference..... There is a nikon website with an app showing clearly.

1.4g and 1.8g is the maximum aperture opening of the lenses. Difference... Depth of field and amount of light reaching the sensor.

Hi ClubSnappers,

1) f1.4 will be more expensive than f1.8
f1.4 DOF will be more shallow than f1.8
Depth of field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2) the difference between a 50mm and 35mm is the focal length and angle of view
Angle of view - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When taking a head & shoulder portrait of a person with a 35mm, you need to stand closer.
When taking a group photo with a 50mm, you need to stand further.

When taking a head & shoulder portrait of a person with a 35mm, you need to stand closer.
When taking a group photo with a 50mm, you need to stand further.
In addition, the 35mm will introduce a certain amount of distortion to the head where the 50mm will me closer to neutral.

you try sigma 50mm f1.4? never go wrong with it...