East
Pls give your views as to which one I should get? In a dilemma

Thank you:confused::confused:

If you like Panasonic then get the LX5.
If you like Canon then get the S95.
Otherwise, get a Leica D-LUX 5.

Pls give your views as to which one I should get? In a dilemma

Thank you:confused::confused:
Kinda hard to have a definite "winner" in this case. You already have a dslr. Is this just your "walk-around" camera?

I'm kinda biased toward Panasonic, so that's the one I'd go for out of these 2. But that's just me :)
I like LX3/LX5 design :)

Last edited:
Kinda hard to have a definite "winner" in this case. You already have a dslr. Is this just your "walk-around" camera?

I'm kinda biased toward Panasonic, so that's the one I'd go for out of these 2. But that's just me :)
I like LX3/LX5 design :)

Yup this camera is when I don't feel like lugging a dlsr around. I almost bought LX5 but was told not to but go for the S95 so now don't know which one...I am concern abt indoor shots

can consider DD123's suggestion of Samsung EX1 as well. Very large aperture. I think f/1.8

I suppose, in terms of specs, they're quite close, but there are probably some distinguishing features. As I'm not on the lookout for a PnS, I've not been keeping up-to-date.

If you like Panasonic then get the LX5.
If you like Canon then get the S95.
Otherwise, get a Leica D-LUX 5.

LX5 and D-LUX 5 are almost identical. They are both manufactured by Panasonic.

So you know.

Yup this camera is when I don't feel like lugging a dlsr around. I almost bought LX5 but was told not to but go for the S95 so now don't know which one...I am concern abt indoor shots

Just to let you know... some of us are waiting for the coming Fuji X100.

The Fuji is quite a different type of camera in my opinion. It's a cheaper alternative to the very expensive digital rangefinders that are monopolising the market currently, albeit with some differences.

Between the LX5 and S95, I've helped a friend do some comparisons before, and I find that samples of high ISO images from the S95 are less noisy than the corresponding ones from the LX5. Since it has been said that you own a DSLR, I assume you don't require me to explain what noise is. Also, the S95 has a more compact profile whereas the lens on the LX5 protrudes a fair bit more even when not in use.

I have to admit, though, that the LX5's design is quite stunning. But for indoor shots, I think the S95 would be a better option between the two.

Just FYI, Fuji X100 has a fixed focal length and is at 35mm. Not really wide and versatile.

Versatility is all in your head.

I rather be a versatile photographer than be a non versatile one with a versatile camera. ;)

LX5 and D-LUX 5 are almost identical. They are both manufactured by Panasonic.

So you know.

Ya I do know. I am just trying to say the LX5 is a good camera.

I rather be a versatile photographer than be a non versatile one with a versatile camera. ;)

Ha ha, not everyone so versatile. Although I do enjoy going around with a 35 f1.4 or 20 f1.7, I find the zoom range in a pns important. e.g i found the range in the LX-3 a handicap.

I actually chose the S95 over the LX5 mainly because it is smaller. In terms of image quality I think they are both up there.

Ever considered Sigma' compact yet? It comes with a prime and supposedly has pretty good image quality. Otherwise I would recommend the S95. I often borrow my friend's S90 and it's a joy to take photos with

Ya I do know. I am just trying to say the LX5 is a good camera.

Actually I was just trying to make sure TS is aware of this.

Ha ha, not everyone so versatile. Although I do enjoy going around with a 35 f1.4 or 20 f1.7, I find the zoom range in a pns important. e.g i found the range in the LX-3 a handicap.

I actually chose the S95 over the LX5 mainly because it is smaller. In terms of image quality I think they are both up there.

Well ya. Different people shoot differently. But looking at the specs, none of the other cameras mentioned in this thread can come close in image quality. ;)

Actually I was just trying to make sure TS is aware of this.

Well ya. Different people shoot differently. But looking at the specs, none of the other cameras mentioned in this thread can come close in image quality. ;)

Yes, you are certainly right. :)

For me, I choose neither. Their prices(around $699) are not cheap for just point and shoot function. Top-up $100 can get a Pentax DSLR or Samsung NX10(a micro four third) which can perform much better than both.
I rather get Samsung EX1, which is only $550 and perform in similar way.

Last edited:
For me, I choose neither. Their prices(around $699) are not cheap for just point and shoot function. Top-up $100 can get a Pentax DSLR or Samsung NX10(a micro four third) which can perform much better than both.
I rather get Samsung EX1, which is only $550 and perform in similar way.
my guess is easier to smuggle into concerts and such. everyone has different sized pockets.

Last edited:

your opinion and mine differ. but if one choose to be non versatile with a versatile camera, then too bad for the fellow.

i rather be a versatile photographer with a versatile camera. not as if there are no other choices avail. ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
your opinion and mine differ. but if one choose to be non versatile with a versatile camera, then too bad for the fellow.

i rather be a versatile photographer with a versatile camera. not as if there are no other choices avail. ;) ;) ;)

A "versatile" cam in this case will give you more focal length range, but you will find it very hard pressed to get a thin DoF, and image quality and noise perfomance way below that of a "not versatile" cam.

So if you read closely. each type of cam is "versatile" and "not versatile" in its own way.

Seriously, if you can zoom easily, that will be the first instinct you will have, instead of moving in closer. The resulting shots will be very different in both cases. ;)

Last edited: