Advice/Help needed for Spyware software!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mich_2103

Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
Hey Folks,
I'm quite a tech-idiot, so currently, I'm really desperate for some help and advice from some of the tech-gurus from CS.

I just downloaded the Microsoft's AntiSpyware (BETA) to get rid of all the, well, spyware. The downloading nearly took forever but finally I managed to install the software and got rid of apparently, some of the spyware.

The computer recommended me to restart the computer to complete the process and so, I did that also.

After which when I returned back to Windows, I clicked the AntiSpyware icon on my desktop but it didn't load, e.g., it will load the AntiSpyware's logo and disappear. I, stupidly, go and uninstall everything and now, the software won't even load. :confused: It will somehow stop at the I agree with the statement... page, then the whole thing will just disappear. :confused:

So my questions for you guys are :-

1. What is going on with my AntiSpyware software? Are BETA versions meant to be like that, or did I accidentally deleted something?

2. Are there any recommendation(s) of good and preferably, free spyware remover? My laptop is processing at a snail's pace... :angry:

3. I thought removing some of the spyware should make it function better? But why is my laptop still slow? :dunno:

Pls help guys!!!

Worried,
-Mich- :sweat:

Download.com get more antispywares. If it doesnt work just
CTRL+ALT+DEL 'Processes', list out whatever is there, maybe we can pinpoint the criminal and tell u what to disable (saves memory = faster!!!)

try download registry mechanic to repair those failed uninstall,very good program.

spybot and destroy program to remove spyware.

adaware SE personal to remove adware.

or you can seriously consider Linux.... spyware proof and virus proof... hmmm... Maybe Mac also spyware proof since the kernel is identical... :think:

Yeah Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

For browser use Firefox. ;)

You can try Spyware Doctor.
Adaware is ok...spybot :thumbsd:
Have you tried reinstalling M$ Antispy? There's a "new" version which requires u to go and validate your windows..if your windows is pirated...that's it. Don't think you can use it.

swampthing said:
Yeah Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

For browser use Firefox. ;)

Yes...
I also face the problem you have few week ago...

So now.. my pc got new members
adaware
spybot serach and destroy
zone alarm

browser- I change to firefox...

now every all mei mei liao...

Hey guys,
Thanks for your advices! Since last night, I have got rid quite a number of spyware and adware as well. I have downloaded both Ad-Aware & Spybot, since I found out these two softwares are pretty popular with CSnappers.

I also download Fire Fox but just curious - how is that going to stop spyware or adware invading my laptop in the future. Hehehe... as I mentioned before, I am pretty much a tech-idiot. :p

However, my antivirus software, avast! have started popping up small messages telling me the software spotted some malicious message. What's going on?

Regards,
-Mich- :p

Keeping spywares out of your PC starts with a sound surfing habit. Most spywares either gets installed on your PC via dodgy sharewares (kazaa is the famous one, but there are others), or visiting some websites.

Sometimes you notice that when you go to some websites you get a pop up window. Most of the time its just advertisement, but sometimes you get pop-ups that's meant to trick you into clicking on the button so that it can install spywares on your PC. The most common ones I see are the "optimize your pc!!!" stuff or "your pc might be unsafe, do you want to scan your pc?" message. These usually comes with some buttons labelled "ok" or "cancel" but what it does is it installs stuff by tricking you. The well done ones actually look like a normal dialog box in Windows.

The lesson here is. If you change to firefox, you have the option to block most popups. The latest Internet Explorer does that too, but people just don't trust microsoft too much. So with firefox, you cut the chance of "accidentally" installing spywares. If pop-ups still appear once in a while (somehow eluding the anti-popup feature... these spyware guys are slimy...) practise safe surfing. Close it by clicking the "x" on the top right hand corner of the pop-up window. That way you dont get tricked into clicking what the spyware guys want you to.

Or if you have the option. Macs look good and spywares are mostly made for Windows and don't work on Macs.

anyone can provide the link to the adware ??

did a search on download.com

a few came out.. dun know which to dl..

pls advise..

k3nn3th03 said:
anyone can provide the link to the adware ??

did a search on download.com

a few came out.. dun know which to dl..

pls advise..

You want to be careful, Adware is a notorious pile of crud, you mean Adaware, which is available from www.lavasoft.de You'll need the SE Personal version.

Huggable is using the registered version of Spyhunter. Works effectively so far.

Hi,
I use Spybot and keep it updated....works for me.

For virus protection I use Symantec Antivirus (corp' version)

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.