Advice for Tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperion188

May 13, 2004
Singapore
A very noobie question here, but just wanted to ask ,what type of tripod should i buy? I notice that there are many brands and types of tripod, i very confused :dunno: . Anyway, my budget is around 100-150, just want it to be stable, and quite flexible in terms of ability to change the angle of cameras. :think:

Hyperion188 said:
A very noobie question here, but just wanted to ask ,what type of tripod should i buy? I notice that there are many brands and types of tripod, i very confused :dunno: . Anyway, my budget is around 100-150, just want it to be stable, and quite flexible in terms of ability to change the angle of cameras. :think:

What gear are you using? This is important as the tripod must most of all be able to support the weight of your camera and lens. A tripod suitable for a digicam might not hold the weight of SLR+ long telephoto lens.

First is of course your budget. For $100 - $150 you can get some slik models, which has fixed head for mounting the camera. And this type of tripod has got the stick handle to move the head.
Check it out at this link :- http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-10b.html

Second is your height. Get one which extends to your eye level without extending the centre column, if possible. Example is the Manfrotto 055pro model if you are above 1.6m tall.

Third is the type of camera and lens you use.
If you use only a p&s camera (either film or digital) , a Manfrotto 719B model would be more than enuf. This one comes with a built-in ball head. And it's within your budget.
Check it out at this link :- http://db.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=2&itemid=1804
or you may like the SLIK SPRINT series :- http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-ss1b.html

For slr or dslr type of camera, you would never be wrong with a Manfrotto 190Pro or 055Pro. (you would need to buy the ball head separately)

I would suggest you go down to CP to try out their tripods to get the feel first b4 deciding on which one to buy.

Happy shooting.

Hyperion188 said:

I recommend Slik 500DX as one of the options. $160 at CP.
It's something like a Manfrotto 055 with rgds to the height without extending the center column (135cm) but lighter as it is made of aluminum, magnesium and titanium alloy. Legs is only 1.75kg light. Comes with a 3-way head too. You can change it for a ballhead for convenience or any other head later.

It's tough, i have crashed the whole damn thing down a slope, cam broken.... tripod very much intact. :(

justarius said:
What gear are you using? This is important as the tripod must most of all be able to support the weight of your camera and lens. A tripod suitable for a digicam might not hold the weight of SLR+ long telephoto lens.

yup! agree. bring ur cam (DSLR or otherwise) with ur heaviest and longest lens, and if u want, ur flash too when u go and look for a tripod. mount everything on the tripod to see if the tripod can take the weight without wobbling or tipping over.

other factors to consider is the weight of the tripod and whether u want to get a ball head or stick with the pan-tilt head dat comes with the tripod.

I find Manfrotto a good brand for beginners on a budget. For the price, you're getting alot. I don;t find Sliks as sturdy and well designed as it's European counterparts. Whatever tripod you get, just make sure that 1) you be conservative and get one that exceed your equipment total weight as mentioned by everyone, and 2) to get one where the casting diameter (the part where the head attaches to) is wide enough. The one that I have has such a small casting, the whole setup looks unstable.

Head choices are basically ball heads (I don't like basic lock-unlock ballheads where adjustment is quite a headache esp if your camera is heavy) and pan heads (where you can adjust x, y and z axis indepentdently and this takes time).

My advice is to get a good one - like Manfrotto 190B, your choice of head and a quick release and it'll last, at least till you get your dream ultimate camera setup or can afford say a Gitzo. ;)

Cheers

Thanks for all your recommendations! I am using a 300D, heaviest lens, 75-300? in fact, i only have 2 lenses. But the other time was tryingout fireworks shots, noticed that my fireworks were like spiders, ie shaky. So i thought, why not get myself a better tripod? Yup, so thats about it. 300 D is not exactly very heavy, ligethweight, SLR, i like. HAHA. ;)

Hyperion188 said:
Thanks for all your recommendations! I am using a 300D, heaviest lens, 75-300? in fact, i only have 2 lenses. But the other time was tryingout fireworks shots, noticed that my fireworks were like spiders, ie shaky. So i thought, why not get myself a better tripod? Yup, so thats about it. 300 D is not exactly very heavy, ligethweight, SLR, i like. HAHA. ;)

From your description, get a Slik Pro 400 ......... should be more then enough for you.

Mav said:
I find Manfrotto a good brand for beginners on a budget. For the price, you're getting alot. I don;t find Sliks as sturdy and well designed as it's European counterparts.

I think Slik vs Gitzos, yeah. But Slik (not the low-end ones) vs Manfrotto, no. Manfrotto is actually a new comer compared to Slik/Gitzo, no?

just to "high jack" this thread,

I am using an S1 Is, but my budget is like less than $80. I am about 1.77m tall, Anyone has any suggestion on what tripod to get?

Thanks Thanks

Hyperion, don't skimp on your tripod. Buy the best tripod you can afford. IMO the absolute MINIMUM tripod anybody with an SLR camera should consider is a Manfrotto 190B. Even then the 190B is too short and too flimsy if you upgrade to heavier equipment in the future.

If you can afford it, get a Manfrotto 055. This is tall enough and sturdy enough for all but the most ridiculously heavy cameras. The main downside is the weight of the thing - it is heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.