Advice for Trip to Tibet

Status
Not open for further replies.

blowblue

Jan 20, 2007
Hi all

I am interested in travelling to tibet, but i dont know how i should travel around there.

I have looked around on internet, CS and asked some people around.

Generally from what i know is that Lhasa is already a chinese disneyland and that authentic tibetians are in the rural areas.

Also i have read that foreigners need to get a travel pass to travel in Tibet...that is other than an entry visa into china, you will need one for tibet. Is this true for all of you?

How should i travel around there?
-backpacking? Local tour package groups?
I have read that some people go to Chengdu and then travel to tibet through this hostel
http://www.gogosc.com/enly_HOME.asp
how much did they charge you for the tour?

So for those backpackers out there...can you give me advices on how i can do it? Advices will help me

When is it the best time to travel around there?

What precautions should I take note of?

Thanks!

Remember the phrase "Tibet is part of China" and you'll be ok.

Remember the phrase "Tibet is part of China" and you'll be ok.

:bsmilie: that i know...i look like chinese. So any practical advices out there for a backpacker or traveller?

alternatively, you might consider fly to nepal and take 4WD overland tour to Tibet.

alternatively, you might consider fly to nepal and take 4WD overland tour to Tibet.

Yes, and there's alternative way: travel to Chengdu, go to a local travel hostel and get Tibet visa pass done.

But has anyone done backpacking before? (i.e. travel there on your own and travel mostly on your own.) Is anyone familiar about the tour companies located in Tibet? REcomend one please

It will be difficult to get the Tibetan Travel Permit if u r an independent traveller and transport will be a problem. I have tried the route from Nepal to Tibet via 4WD just in June. You can just get an agency to arrange the transport for you and they will also be able to get the travel permit for u.

yoz, i'll be heading tibet soon ( 16th august)
and i been there 2 years back for close to 30 days.
it's a place u must go before you die :) (touch wood)

i'll fly to chengduy, transit then touch down Xining.
xining also is a very very veryv ery nice place.
Qing Hai mah.. :)

u can spend a few days in xining, and then u can choose to take train from xining to lhasa (u have to book the ticket 10 days before u got the ticket, xining train center announced that june i think).

route from chine.

1.) fly to beijing, take train.
2.) fly to HK, then bus to HuaDu, then fly xining then train to lhasa (cheapest)
3.) fly to chengdu, train to lhasa.
4.) like i'm going to do... fly to chengdu, then transit to xining, take train IF you can get the ticket or fly then. (the reason why i want to go xining (die die must go). as xining is another very nice place, in fact some place in xining is more interesting then lhasa)

once u reach lhasa, u can go to the "ba jiao jie", got 1 stall selling the ticket to "shang ye si" and it's one of the oldest temple in tibbet. u can stay there for 1 or 2 days.

and then u can take some day tour in lhasa, or ask around, and u should able to finished the lhasa itself within 1 week. (not outside lhasa).

if your timing allow. try shangri-la... i went there for 12 days...
argh... u will never regreat. ever tried sleep in bus for 2 days? hahaha. then can imagine ur bus can across the river and everyone is chanting to across the river safely ?

well.. try their fresh uncook yak.... super nice.

have fun

Just went to tibet last month, and became very sick there, haha.:confused:

One advice: Bring medicine for high altitude sickness, and ask your doctor for "broad-spectrum antibiotic" that can be used for general sickness. I was down with virul infection with fever/ bad cough/ mouth full of ulcers, and suffered for the last few days. We have every kind of medicine except antibiotic. When i came back, my doctor said we should have brought those "general" antibiotic there, and eat them should we fall "very sick", as it's difficult to find pharmacy in some area there, let alone clinic or doctors.:thumbsd:

Status
Not open for further replies.