Advice for piano purchase please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
Can I get your comments on the Kawai K-3 upright piano?

What is the price in Singapore?

Thanks!
-Roy

Hmm ... why don't you check out Robert Piano?

Me bought my Kawai (K-18) thanks to lots of advice from the bros here actually . No complaints on the quality, but then again me and my little girl are newbies in this field.

Actually if it is for beginner, a kawai or any other korean/china/japanese piano will suffice. For other level, I will recommend people to take continental piano.

For your info, there is shop called gramercy music. They do sell a swiss made piano at around 4k. Quite value for money. The parts are not bad. German roslau strings and renner hammerheads. If I were you, I will take this over kawai anytime.

Choosing a Piano is comparable to buying a camera.

PnS - Most Asian brands (eg Kawai, Daewoo)
Prosumer - Yamaha
DSLR - European (eg Weinbach/Petrof)
Pro DSLR - Steinway Grands

Found that the European Piano's are heavier to the touch and the Asian ones lighter.

As with cameras, methinks you should have a feel in the showroom (play chopsticks!) before deciding.

Thanks for all the advice!

I am buying the piano for my son. He is only 5, but expressed interest in learning the piano.

Just came across an opportunity to get this at a discounted price with a group purchase. US$4k including tax, home delivery, bench and 1 tuning.

Understand that the best is to go to a showroom and try it out for myself...but I am no piano player...

The difference from buying a DSLR is that when I buy a DSLR I already know I am going to use the heck out of it. For a piano, it can turn into just a piece of useless furniture....:)

why not get a digital piano first?
yamaha around $800++

The pricing ranges for a 1st hand or a 2nd hand piano. I had my Yamaha U1(Standard Piano for examination) years ago and it cost me approx SGD4k (2nd hand, age of the piano was ~5years old then)

The most important factor is the richness of the tone when played and sometimes, a 2nd-hand piano would sound even better than a first hand one as it would have already been finely tuned. However, the maintainance of the piano by the previous owner is important too. I don't really recommend Kawai as the Kawai pianos that I've came across sounds a little crisp when played so it's not to my personal preference.

And definitely you should go to the showroom to test it out and check out the market price if you're looking for a Kawai piano ( or any other piano brands ). Have a feel at the touch of the keys (whether are they too tight or light) and listen to the tone of the piano with its top off for best effect. Pick one which you like the best (but I must warn first that NORMALLY, new pianos would sound a little hollow but they should be at their peak after several tunings). I'm quite an amatuer to picking of piano. So I guess for best advice, visit several showrooms and hear what the sales personals have to say or get advices from the piano teachers.

Hopes that helps =)

P/S- if you're uncertain that your child would maintain this interest in Piano till he grows older, a Kawai 2nd hand + 2 tunings + Benching which I came across 5 years ago would cost around SGD2k+. I'm not that sure of the pricing now though.

P/S/S- I would also recommend a local piano to your location as a piano actually needs it own heater and it MUST BE on at all time (esp in Sg due to the humid weather or the piano would grow moldy inside). A local unit would actually have a heater that would best suit the temperature of the location.

why not get a digital piano first?
yamaha around $800++

I have been batling that idea for quite some time....do you think digital pianos today comes close enough to acoutic pianos in terms of touch and sound? Are digitals recommended for beginners?

I have been batling that idea for quite some time....do you think digital pianos today comes close enough to acoutic pianos in terms of touch and sound? Are digitals recommended for beginners?

no.

believe me, they are not.

anyways, for lower grades, and beginners, the lower tier brands will suffice. after all, by the time one usually gets to the higher grades, you can actually choose to change piano liao. personally, i think this is the best way to go, i have seen many kids lose interest so it is probably best not to make a too-large investment. as for grading of piano, lynnesaur's brief categorisation seems right to me.

hmm.... i would second that... i have a YAMAHA CLAVINOVA ... feels and sounds like a piano.. in fact, it sounds like whatever i want it to be .... :)..the best part is i can play it in the wee hours w/o disturbing my neighbours... why ? bcos its a DIGITAL piano :lovegrin:

Take your time to go through this huge thread about buying piano in Singapore. There is a wealth of information there.

My wife and I had recently just purchased a 2nd hand Kawai piano for my 5 yr old daughter and my wife(who used to play piano). My advice is to take your time to shop around. Getting 2nd hand may mean you can get better value for money, but be aware of the condition of the piano.

according to wifey, nah. stick with a real piano.

if buying in SG, robert piano is good. my wife's piano was purchased from them too. 3 free tunings, IIRC.

I have a Yamaha Clavinova at home. My wife teaches my nephew on it and accompanies my son on his classical guitar with it. Yes it may not quite replicate the touch of a regular upright but frankly it comes close and is way cheaper and requires no maintenance. My wife used to have a C. Bechstein German piano and while it was a fantastic piano, it just wasn't practical to keep in our home, especially in our warm and humid environment.

is good enough or close enough..
cos u nver know how long your son interest will last

get a second hand piano. you can get a better piano at the same price if you buy second hand. (though you might need someone who knows piano to help you evaluate the condition of the piano)

the link kelccm gave is pretty good, but pretty long too, so..... can slowly read through. i posted a few questions myself there b4 too.:)

I have a Yamaha Clavinova at home. My wife teaches my nephew on it and accompanies my son on his classical guitar with it. Yes it may not quite replicate the touch of a regular upright but frankly it comes close and is way cheaper and requires no maintenance. My wife used to have a C. Bechstein German piano and while it was a fantastic piano, it just wasn't practical to keep in our home, especially in our warm and humid environment.

OMG. C.Bechstein. That is Damn EX!!! Top 4 brands in the World

Best advice in the thread: Get a second hand one.
Your son is still young, interest changes quickly.
You might end up with a white elephant in your house if you get a new expensive one.

Status
Not open for further replies.