Advice for light travel DSLR camera for tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

FM2

Oct 16, 2004
Dear all,

I have yet to decide which DSLR camera to buy.

I used to take my F80 with a 28-200 zoom lens around but after calculating the cost to develop 10 rolls of flims etc I think it time for me to switch to Digital since the technology has improved a lot.

I am still deciding if I should go for Canon 400D or the Nikon D80 kit but I found that the review for D80 is better and I am impress that the kit comes with a 18-135mm lens. The Canon 400D comes with a 18-55mm lens and I have to top up to get another zooms lens. The advantage of the 400D is that it comes with anti-dust technology which I wonder if that will help when you are travelling.

What are your advice for me to get a DSLR if I want to travel light - a camera bag, a DSLR camera, a zoom, compact flash and a canon video cam corder.

Since you are more inclined to the D80,

Here is my suggestion:
1) DSLR: Nikon D80
2) Zoom: 18-200 VR, this way no need to change lens and worry about dust going into camera. Excellent range. VR! :D
3) Camera bag: Get a toploader or a small curmpler (5 million dollar home)
4) compact flash: As many CF cards as you can afford. :)

Since you are more inclined to the D80,

Here is my suggestion:
1) DSLR: Nikon D80
2) Zoom: 18-200 VR, this way no need to change lens and worry about dust going into camera. Excellent range. VR! :D
3) Camera bag: Get a toploader or a small curmpler (5 million dollar home)
4) compact flash: As many CF cards as you can afford. :)

The Nikon D80 is a good choice and since you are using a film based F80, whatever lenses you own can also be used on the D80 and you can use your existing Nikon flash although it may not have all the functions compared to the dedicated SB600 and SB800. The 18-200 VR zoom is an excellent choice and probably the best single travel lens regardless of brand.

By the way, the D80 accepts SD and not CF card.

As long as you shoot raw, a much cheaper option would be a pentax k10D together with a sigma/tamron 18-200 lens.

The body costs SGD <1380 with a bag and 1GB, the 18-200 costs around SGD 700. In the body you get in-body stabilization, anti-dust, weather sealing, and the same resolution with possibly a hair more detail.

The 18-200 will probably be similarly sharp unless you get a dud (which is not entirely uncommon) and the vibration reduction is probably not quote as effective.

--

Of course, this recommendation does depend on what nikon lenses you currently have - if you have pro-grade glass like a 80-200 2.8 or a 24-90 2.8, the D80 is the answer. If your current glass is more "consumer" level, it's not such a big deal. (i.e. either 18-200 is likely to outperform it.)

--
I should also say that the other option you have, if you're sure you'll never want another lens, is the D40 + 18-200.

Will the D80 with a 18-135mm VR lens be able to repel dust ?

I just found out from my travel agent that I can only claim up to SG$1000 for a lost camera...so better calculate my costs in travelling...anyway...I want to bring as little as possible and as light.

Will the D80 with a 18-135mm VR lens be able to repel dust ?

I just found out from my travel agent that I can only claim up to SG$1000 for a lost camera...so better calculate my costs in travelling...anyway...I want to bring as little as possible and as light.

$1000 for a lost camera body, $1000 for a lens.. :p

repel dust, no. You'll need to get a blower. I don't think the D80 has any kind of anti-dust system.

Dear all,

I have yet to decide which DSLR camera to buy.

I used to take my F80 with a 28-200 zoom lens around but after calculating the cost to develop 10 rolls of flims etc I think it time for me to switch to Digital since the technology has improved a lot.

I am still deciding if I should go for Canon 400D or the Nikon D80 kit but I found that the review for D80 is better and I am impress that the kit comes with a 18-135mm lens. The Canon 400D comes with a 18-55mm lens and I have to top up to get another zooms lens. The advantage of the 400D is that it comes with anti-dust technology which I wonder if that will help when you are travelling.

What are your advice for me to get a DSLR if I want to travel light - a camera bag, a DSLR camera, a zoom, compact flash and a canon video cam corder.

It may sound little el-cheapo, but why not get the D40 ($900+) + AFS 18-200m VR2 ($1200+) ? This combo is cheaper and light with no sacrifice in the things you want to do. The only caveat is that D40 will only work with AFS lens (older lens will not work). Throw in a small messanger type of sling bag and you are on your way to a light travel setup.

Personally, I have a D70 + 18-200mm + 10-20 Sigma for wideangle, and 4 GB of storage - that will last me at least 1 week of shooting.

Just 2 cents of suggestion. If you are interested, I just finished my Taiwan 7 day trip - shot entirely using the 18-200mm VR lens. You can find the gallery slideshow here for a feel... :) http://www.walkinlight.com/gallery/taiwan07

It may sound little el-cheapo, but why not get the D40 ($900+) + AFS 18-200m VR2 ($1200+) ? This combo is cheaper and light with no sacrifice in the things you want to do. The only caveat is that D40 will only work with AFS lens (older lens will not work). Throw in a small messanger type of sling bag and you are on your way to a light travel setup.

Personally, I have a D70 + 18-200mm + 10-20 Sigma for wideangle, and 4 GB of storage - that will last me at least 1 week of shooting.

Just 2 cents of suggestion. If you are interested, I just finished my Taiwan 7 day trip - shot entirely using the 18-200mm VR lens. You can find the gallery slideshow here for a feel... :) http://www.walkinlight.com/gallery/slideshow.php?set_albumName=taiwan07

The el-cheapo-er version of that is the K100D + 18-200...

I don't actually use the 18-200, but for an idea of what the K100D looks like, with the kit (18-55) + sigma 70-300 + a 50mm, you can take a look at my vietnam photos. :D

http://picasaweb.google.com/alexander.yap/2007HanoiVietnam

A variety of those lenses are used...

I would have gotten a 18-200 for travel already, if not for the fact that an 18-250 is becoming available soon. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093001tamron18250.asp

Photos taken with a K100d with the kit 18-55 alone are at: http://picasaweb.google.com/alexander.yap/2006CambridgePorto

If cost is a concern, you should consider a used DSLR + lens. What is your end result of the travel photography ? Print a 4R album or bigger ? Else you dun have budget issue, any DSLR is good enuff for travel. Consider a better lens would be recommended. As for dust issue, as long as you dun change lens frequently and shoot at small aperture like f16 should be fine.

Ermmmm.....excuse me, seems like the wrong forum grouping to post this question.

While not exactly a dSLR - the Fujifilm 6500 would be my choice for a light all in one travel kit.

Travel??

Get the D40 + the SB400... should be abt there at $1200 - 1300 or so...

small and light...

Why not just get a prosumer, like a Sony H5?

Other than that, there are some good deals on Sony A100 sets now.

SGD700? i got my sigma 18-200 for only 500+

The body costs SGD <1380 with a bag and 1GB, the 18-200 costs around SGD 700.

actually if you want to travel light, olympus might be a good choice.

The oly lens are much lighter and cheaper (sometimes) the C/N counterpart.

Example
canon 70-200 f4 vs oly 40-150 f3.5-f4.5. Oly is MUCH cheaper and lighter
C/N 70-200mm f2.8 vs oly 50-200mm f2.8-f3.5. Oly is also MUCH lighter.
Oly has a 11-22 f2.8-f3.5 lens which is pretty useful.

+ oly dust buster seems to be the only really effective one out there. Useful on travels as hard to clean or check sensor overseas.

Travel??

Get the D40 + the SB400... should be abt there at $1200 - 1300 or so...

small and light...

For a DSLR,

this would be considered one of the lightest available.

Approx. 475g (1lb. 1oz.) without battery, memory card or body cap

Lens is
205g (7.2 oz.)

SB-400 is
Approx. 127g (4.5 oz.)
without batteries, but it only uses 2 AA batteries.

All aded up, approx 807g, with all batteries in... should still be under 1 kilo....

And you can still use your 28-200 zoom lens on this camera, but you lose the AF function, and need to manually focus. ;)

You need a light bag right?? I'd go for this...s

For a DSLR,

this would be considered one of the lightest available.

Lens is

SB-400 is without batteries, but it only uses 2 AA batteries.

All aded up, approx 807g, with all batteries in... should still be under 1 kilo....

And you can still use your 28-200 zoom lens on this camera, but you lose the AF function, and need to manually focus. ;)

You need a light bag right?? I'd go for this...s
2nd this.. if one doesn't intend to get any non-AFS lens in the near future, he can simply get the 18-200VR and use until his body went dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.