advice for lens for shooting potraits

Status
Not open for further replies.

trenyi

Dec 10, 2004
North
trenyi.blogspot.com
I would like to know what kind of lens is best for shooting potraits either a canon lens or sigma. Also does anyone has any experience using the sigma 50-500mm lens, as i might want to buy one for wildlife so do give your comments.Thanks:think:

85mm prime for portraits :thumbsup:

there are no hard and fast rules to wat lenses to use.... it depends on the subject(ie model) if u have one that is slightly plump, perhaps u may wanna se the 85mm to compress her features alittle....or maybe even a 105....but are u gg to do this for a slim model? it may or may not work.... and using these long focal lengths for full bodies also has an effect of "compressing" the height of the person......

these are juz to illustrate my point.....

cheers..

28-200 mm (35mm equivalent). Any lens or lens combination.

Witness said:
. and using these long focal lengths for full bodies also has an effect of "compressing" the height of the person......

How did you come to this conclusion?

student said:
28-200 mm (35mm equivalent). Any lens or lens combination.

That's my lens!!... and everyone says I shud buy something more decent... hmp!
Actually this lens is very handy but a bit difficult for flash-less photo under dark / cloudy environment.

Witness said:
there are no hard and fast rules to wat lenses to use.... it depends on the subject(ie model) if u have one that is slightly plump, perhaps u may wanna se the 85mm to compress her features alittle....or maybe even a 105....but are u gg to do this for a slim model? it may or may not work.... and using these long focal lengths for full bodies also has an effect of "compressing" the height of the person......

these are juz to illustrate my point.....

cheers..
Long focal lenses compress the distance, not the height or width!
I normally use 50 to 135 to shoot most of my protrait, but had once tried using a 400mm and the result was very pleasing.

There are no hard and fast rules, but 85 to 105 seems to be the focal length everyone can agree on.

yjoshua said:
85mm prime for portraits :thumbsup:
if you want sharp shots to be blown up to 8R plus... this is the lense to go for!! :thumbsup:

Sigma 50-500 I don't think got optical stabiliser. Also, at 500mm, it is f6.3. You may wish to consider 80-400 instead.

student...its a feeling i get when shooting full body with teles.... i noticed tt my subjects look abit "short" which they pointed out too.... which brot me to the conclusion....

since we generally agree that mid tele lens (85-135) does compress very slightly, so model's face appears a little slimmer, it does seems logical to think the height will be compress a little too.

trenyi said:
Thanks everyone for the advice...got myself a canon 135mm L Lens.
you have to love it when they go for "over kill"!!!

the 135f2 L is great lense, but just be concious of your working distance (given 1x 1.3x or 1.6x).

congrats on your purchase of a great lense!! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.