Advice for home studio backdrop support system

Cowseye

Mar 7, 2010
Singapore
www.ttlo-cowseye.com
Hi all,

I'm setting up a home studio at my new home. Need some advice on the type of backdrop support I should go for, and any other pointers and pitfalls.

So far, these are what I gather:

1. 2 stands and a pole: This is the cheapest, safest, least destructive and most mobility setup. But it's also the most hassle for changing different backdrops.
2. Autopole support with brackets, shafts & drive chain: This seems to be a good solution, but it will cost 3 times more to setup, for the convenience, I think it's worth it.
3. Fully motorised backdrop: I really love the convenience, okay with the premium price but I've 2 problems. 1. I'm not good at drilling and wall mounting. 2. I really do not wish to damage my flat with the bad drillings that I'm doing... No shop that sells this is willing to provide installation...

Thank you for your inputs :)

What length your backdrop? 4ft or 9ft? If short then can settle for normal stand and pole setup. Just change backdrops as needed. Else you might as well spend big and get the autopole. But that will be a semi permanent structure with big legs sticking out, think carefully if you want it taking up space.

Thanks for the reply, my room length is abt 4m. I'm wondering if it's long enough to do full body portrait w/o using UWA of cos. If can I'll want to extend the backdrop to the floor and have the model steping on it.

Thanks for the reply, my room length is abt 4m. I'm wondering if it's long enough to do full body portrait w/o using UWA of cos. If can I'll want to extend the backdrop to the floor and have the model steping on it.

talent should ideally be a distance away from the backdrop, add that distance plus if using 50mm it's tough to do full body. 1/2 to 3/4 more probable. do you still have space to place and pull back lights too?

ur room is probably too small to do full lengths comfortably. u can probably consider using the 4 ft paper to do half body max. u can use a c-stand then clamp a pole. then just slide the paper in n out to change when needed.

talent should ideally be a distance away from the backdrop, add that distance plus if using 50mm it's tough to do full body. 1/2 to 3/4 more probable. do you still have space to place and pull back lights too?

Lighting equipments should be ok in the entire room, did consider a boom stand for hair light. I wondering how wide a lens I can push to achieve full body shot without distortion, assuming using FX camera?

ur room is probably too small to do full lengths comfortably. u can probably consider using the 4 ft paper to do half body max. u can use a c-stand then clamp a pole. then just slide the paper in n out to change when needed.

Sigh, hdb flats these days are so small :(

Cowseye said:
Sigh, hdb flats these days are so small :(

Nowadays all quite kechil one.. I can't imagine mine when it comes..