Advice for getting my 70D

drpessimist

Jan 6, 2014
Singapore
So this is what i am planning to get.

EOS 70D Kit III + Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM + Velbon Ultra Stick M50

Can someone recommend me a tripod to support the 70D?

My total budget at maximum is $3000

Any ideas?

$3000 was for everything in total im sure you understand.. right now i estimate that im bordering around $2500 - $2600, since the quote i got for the kit iii was about $1900. of course do recommend me other lenses if you know of!

Kit3 is the one with older 18-200mm kit lens?
Just my view, think better to get the kit 2 with 18-135mm STM lens. This updated STM version has quite good review.

Or get the body only and maybe the sigma 17-50 f/2.8 or the 17-70 f/2.8-4. If the rebate promo still have, the 17-50 f/2.8 quite worth.
Update: From facebook page, the rebate still ongoing. --> Sigma lens rebate

As for tripod, as mentioned in the other thread, can look at Sirui. Think $200+/- can get quite decent one already (depend on ur use and max weight etc).
Go TK foto and look at range. If the shop it not crowded, may ask for some recommendation.

Last edited:
$3000 was for everything in total im sure you understand.. right now i estimate that im bordering around $2500 - $2600, since the quote i got for the kit iii was about $1900. of course do recommend me other lenses if you know of!

My advise is... stay with your kit lens till you know what you are missing. Everyone here had their own preference for lenses in accordance to their preferred genre and style. So... really no point asking what lens we know of... as a matter of fact, we know of many lenses.

As for what tripod to suggest, well... you can always looked at Sirui and Benro or stay with the tripod that Canon gave you (I highly recommend this option). Both brands offered good quality reasonably priced tripod. Also by knowing your budget is not enough... we do not know what is your intention? What do you prefer.

For example,

1) do you mind the weight of the tripod. If not, get the aluminium alloy ones which is cheaper and still very durable, but they are pretty heavy.
2) Do you want to get the camera as low to the ground as possible, if yes, then you should consider getting one that have a flexible center column, so far I know Manfrotto (only two axis though), Vanguard, Gitzo and Benro offer you this function. Manfrotto and Gitzo might be over your budget though.
3) Do you want your tripod to be packed very small so as to enable easy carrying in your luggage.
4) Are you brand conscious? If not the tripod that came with your camera is actually pretty good, I used my Canon tripod for quite a while and it actually can handle quite a good weigh.
5) what height do you want your camera to be at? Some people are tall, some no so tall, and no one know what height is comfortable for you.

So many questions to ask, I would still recommend that you stay with the free tripod Canon gave you for the time being until you actually know what you want.

of course do recommend me other lenses if you know of!
Have you checked the Canon lens line up on their website? More than enough lenses - but the question is what you need. Or are you referring to other kit lenses?

What type of photography do you intend to do? Different types of photography will result in different recommendations.

Purely curious, what is the intention of getting the Sigma 50mm F1.4 lens? Any special/ particular purposes?