Advice for filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Goby

Hello, I'm new. :(
Can somebody please tell me what general filter should I use to protect my lens front element? Should I use a UV or skylight? What is SHMC and MRC? What are they better for each? Thanks! ;p

Hi Goby ,

Actually both UV and skylight are generally used to protect lens from damage and dirt.

Skylight will cause you picture to be generally warmer in color (more reds) as the filter is generally pinkish. Good for cutting down excessive blue skies which tend to make the pictures a little cool (bluish)

SHMC and MRC are special filters with multiple coating on them to reduce glare and reflection. When pointed to the light, you will see multiple colors just like a multi-coated spectacle.

In my humble opinion , MRC is better as they do not scratch as easily when the filter is being cleaned.

Hope that helps :)

I have always heard people mentioning an 81B as a warming filter. So should I use a skylight or 81B? :confused:

Originally posted by Goby
I have always heard people mentioning an 81B as a warming filter. So should I use a skylight or 81B? :confused:

81B is much stronger. The Skylight's warming effect is barely noticeable.

Use UV filters for general photos.

Skylight has a pink cast, it will look very ugly on skin tone.

81B has an warm cast, it should only be used under heavy overcast or under shade to eliminate blue cast.

If you put these on permanently, there will be no neutral white exisiting in your pictures any more if you are shooting slides or DC.

If you use negative, UV, skylight or 81B will not have an obvious difference. Ordinary lab will probably do a auto color balance and eliminated the effect during printing.

I see.. thanks! Its is worth getting a SHMC or a normal UV will do (besides budget consideration, as it will hopefully last for over a year or two)? What does MRC stand for? Useful? Thanks!

A SHMC filter would be better. Its better able to filter out the haze caused by UV. However, it is more expensive. Abt 50-60 bucks.

u can refer to this for the different coatings

Coatings

Refer here for the list of Hoya filters.

Filters

For tips on filters: Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.