Advice for Cambodia Trip (January)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blowblue

Jan 20, 2007
I've already bought a single return ticket to Siem Reap for one week in January (1st to 8th). I have done some study on local attractions, guesthouses and tuk-tuk rates.

I have several questions here:
1) Is it advisable to make reservations for january stayin a guesthouse? Jan-Feb is supposedly to be the busiest time of the year.
The Villa Siem Reap seems to have good reviews from different online reviews..has anyone gone there before? I know some of you might have been to Peace of Angkor villa seems it is run for photographer avids.

2) Regarding the means of visiting the archeological sites, is it better to go with a tour group (max 8 pax) to visit several places first and then go there on my own, early morning or late afternoon? The tour rates by guesthouse is reasonable...around USD$20, depending on the locations.

3) What's the cost of tuk-tuk trip from airport to Siem Reap downtown?

Lemme know if you have any advice for a first time backpacker :p

I've already bought a single return ticket to Siem Reap for one week in January (1st to 8th). I have done some study on local attractions, guesthouses and tuk-tuk rates.

I have several questions here:
1) Is it advisable to make reservations for january stayin a guesthouse? Jan-Feb is supposedly to be the busiest time of the year.
The Villa Siem Reap seems to have good reviews from different online reviews..has anyone gone there before? I know some of you might have been to Peace of Angkor villa seems it is run for photographer avids.

2) Regarding the means of visiting the archeological sites, is it better to go with a tour group (max 8 pax) to visit several places first and then go there on my own, early morning or late afternoon? The tour rates by guesthouse is reasonable...around USD$20, depending on the locations.

3) What's the cost of tuk-tuk trip from airport to Siem Reap downtown?

Lemme know if you have any advice for a first time backpacker :p

1)I stayed in the villa siem reap this year july.. not bad a place..quite clean and cosy.. and good location.. not at the heart of the town area.. but a 5min walk away... so location is still quite good..Yes!! please make reservations no matter where you choose to stay.. you dont want to go there with no accomodation planned do you?

2) Depends on the number of people going with you, if u r alone, it will be cheaper to go with the group instead of hiring the tour guide and tutuk by yourself..

but if you have got the money, know where you want to go, and dont need a tour guide, by all means go on solo tour.. A tuktuk a day cost US$10-12.

3)Cost of tuktuk from airport to siem reap if provided by some guesthouses if you confirm your booking with them and let them know your arrival time. Transport from the guesthouse to the airport at the day of your departure is about US$5.

1)if it is the peak period then u might like to make the room reservation before hand. book for one or 2 nights so that in case you dun like the place, you can look for another.

2) & 3) Not sure if you are travelling alone, if yes then the motorbike from airport to sieam reap city is US$1 . book for the counter at the airport. then the motorcycle driver will offer to ride you to the temples sight.. $8-10 (add more for sunrise viewing etc). i used him cos I had full control of how long , where i want to go. :)

hope this helps

when u travel backpack style.... always book first night's accomodation for safety. From there, roam around old market area and you can find pretty much guesthouse in the range of US$8-15 with reasonable decent rooms with attached bathroom + hot shower.

having your own transport has it own flexibility, some guesthouse provides bicycle rentals and its not too far to cycle around the angkor area. alternative cheap source of tpt is to hire a motorbike taxi where the rider will bring u to anywhere u want. plan what u want to see, so you dont waste time on searching around.

do not pay more than US$1 for a roadside plate of fried noodle/rice or US$1 for a can of beer. Anything more, u know you are being chopped.

as for airport transfer, some hotels/guesthouses do provide FOC transfer as its very very close to siem reap town. If not, it should not cost you more than US$5 per way.

bring lots of water into Angkor area, and go early for sunrise/sunset shots.... otherwise you wont get a good spot for the best angle!

huh? who deleted my previous comments?

shessh..anyhow one more question, which place do you recommend for watching apsara dancing.

also try not to go to red piano for their tuk-tuk ride....they kill$$

Status
Not open for further replies.