Advice for beijing trip, end dec.

ech123

Deregistered
Oct 4, 2009
Hi guys,

Im planning a trip to Beijing this end dec. Anyone knows how harsh the weather is during this period of time?

I read through the forums and find various useful advices in winter season but would like to ask if a 5d and 17-40 will be advisable or a ep1 with 14-42 will be sufficient? will i miss out alot due to lack of ultra wide angle? any other tips and advices on shooting at that kind of temperature in beijing? or temp in beijing is generally ok? as i've read more about harbin than beijing.

Clothing wise, how thick should i prepare? and is jeans with a normal shoe be sufficient? Sorry i have no experience in winter weather before hence need some help and advices here.

Thank you in advance

Hi guys,

Im planning a trip to Beijing this end dec. Anyone knows how harsh the weather is during this period of time?

I read through the forums and find various useful advices in winter season but would like to ask if a 5d and 17-40 will be advisable or a ep1 with 14-42 will be sufficient? will i miss out alot due to lack of ultra wide angle? any other tips and advices on shooting at that kind of temperature in beijing? or temp in beijing is generally ok? as i've read more about harbin than beijing.

Clothing wise, how thick should i prepare? and is jeans with a normal shoe be sufficient? Sorry i have no experience in winter weather before hence need some help and advices here.

Thank you in advance

The temperature in Beijing is current around -2 to -5 degrees C. That's frozen temperature and it can only get worse henceforth before it gets any better in Late Feb/early Mar. When the cold wind from the North blows, it cuts you, from sunny tropics, like a knife, if you are not well clothed. Jean & normal shoe and I presume with normal comfortable thin socks as well. You WILL NOT be able to get out door with these unless we also have a pair of long-John underneath the jean. Ever heard of winter socks? Go buy them in those winter clothing stores. You will also need something for your face and especially your lips or the skin on your lips will crack and boy, it isn’t holiday when it happens. From what you had written, it is clear that you have not been through winter in a Country above the Tropic of Cancer or below the Tropic of Capricorn. Prepare or it WILL hurt you, and hurt you badly.

As for your question on what camera and lens to bring to Beijing, it's like asking what colour of cloth you should bring to Beijing. Well you know the answer to that one, whatever, suit you best for what-ever occasion you plan to partake in. Whether you will miss your wide angle lens or not depend on what you plan to photograph and your personal style and composition. On one can advise you based on your short paragraph.

The temperature in Beijing is current around -2 to -5 degrees C. That's frozen temperature and it can only get worse henceforth before it gets any better in Late Feb/early Mar. When the cold wind from the North blows, it cuts you, from sunny tropics, like a knife, if you are not well clothed. Jean & normal shoe and I presume with normal comfortable thin socks as well. You WILL NOT be able to get out door with these unless we also have a pair of long-John underneath the jean. Ever heard of winter socks? Go buy them in those winter clothing stores. You will also need something for your face and especially your lips or the skin on your lips will crack and boy, it isn’t holiday when it happens. From what you had written, it is clear that you have not been through winter in a Country above the Tropic of Cancer or below the Tropic of Capricorn. Prepare or it WILL hurt you, and hurt you badly.

As for your question on what camera and lens to bring to Beijing, it's like asking what colour of cloth you should bring to Beijing. Well you know the answer to that one, whatever, suit you best for what-ever occasion you plan to partake in. Whether you will miss your wide angle lens or not depend on what you plan to photograph and your personal style and composition. On one can advise you based on your short paragraph.

Second that :thumbsup:
It's beautiful now and the weather can be a bit of a hinderance but it was sunny skies last week.
You may be taken aback by the traffic jams though and it was testing our patience stuck in traffic to get to the attractions.
Don't forget to bring gloves ( the type to take photos ) and extra batterries and CF cards

Since the previous replies already answered your question about surviving the environment, I'll touch on equipment. Bring your UWA lens. You will need it to take in the grandeur of the palace and ancient plazas. Remember to bring the two-flat-prong power cable for your charger, or a socket adaptor. China uses a very different physical power socket. More memory cards are better because it might be difficult to find time to review and delete while you're at the crowded attractions.

thanks guys for all the advices here.

news2digital. thanks for the heads up. i prepared longjohn, winter socks, 2 layer of clothings with a windbreaking jacket. probably looking around for gloves and winter caps. are there anymore things i need to take note of with regards to weather and clothings?

Decks. thanks. what kind of gloves are suitable for photography? the thin layer of wool kind or those with a rubbery grip kind on one side is preferred?

rhema83. thanks man thats almost the next question i wanted to ask- power socket.

have another questions, i read about sticking our bare skin of our face to the metal part of the camera will cause peeling of skin. how true and how bad it is? cos a 5d doesnt have a live view and this sound dangerous if im not careful. any advice or tips on this? and is it advisable to change lens during such weather? Thanks in advance again :D

news2digital. thanks for the heads up. i prepared longjohn, winter socks, 2 layer of clothings with a windbreaking jacket. probably looking around for gloves and winter caps. are there anymore things i need to take note of with regards to weather and clothings?

Decks. thanks. what kind of gloves are suitable for photography? the thin layer of wool kind or those with a rubbery grip kind on one side is preferred?

rhema83. thanks man thats almost the next question i wanted to ask- power socket.

have another questions, i read about sticking our bare skin of our face to the metal part of the camera will cause peeling of skin. how true and how bad it is? cos a 5d doesnt have a live view and this sound dangerous if im not careful. any advice or tips on this? and is it advisable to change lens during such weather? Thanks in advance again :D

I guess you have to google to find the type that have the tips ( trigger finger ) exposed. When I was there last week the temp was about 1 degree C so it was quite cold if you expose your hands for too long. I tried with the golves from unico and had to take it on and off everytime i wanted to take a shot. OT since the skies are clear you may want to use your CPLs

Unlikely for the weather to be cold enough to cause skin to stick to metal. If that happens, you really shouldn't be outdoors!

Try not to change lens out in the open in Beijing. The place is pretty dusty and windy this time of the year, and you don't want any of it to get onto your sensor.

it is snowing in beijing now, it is better if you can get some inner warm wear if you are coming in late dec. it will be very cold then.

Thanks everyone. I only prepare 1 set of warm inner wear and planning to buy a few more on my first day there. is it advisable? will i be able to find any warm wear easily in WangFuJing? Also, how much does a taxi cost travelling from airport to the center of beijing during midnight? or will it be cheaper to pay the tour guide for the airport transfer to hotel? hope to find some opinions if any are more familiar with beijing. Thanks!

taxi cost should be around >100 but less then 130...you can get cheaper warm wear at those silk market or hong qiao market.

Thanks everyone. I only prepare 1 set of warm inner wear and planning to buy a few more on my first day there. is it advisable? will i be able to find any warm wear easily in WangFuJing? Also, how much does a taxi cost travelling from airport to the center of beijing during midnight? or will it be cheaper to pay the tour guide for the airport transfer to hotel? hope to find some opinions if any are more familiar with beijing. Thanks!

IMO it would be better if you have the 'extra' warm inner wear with you before you leave SG. In my case the weather was bitterly cold and stepping out into the open w/o the extra warm clothing was impossible. It's not something that you want to try it out first and then buy the clothes at some shopping centre. Beijing is not SG and the place is super big and things don't work out like SG.

Thanks jasonteoch and decks. have been shopping around for clothings thats suitable almost done with a few layers of warm wear but need some advice again, is a down jacket needed and have notice the different % of down labelled on the jacket. which is more suitable ? 90% or 60% etc? or a few layer of warm thick jacket with a windbreaker water proof material on the outer will do? also, are those snacks street or street markets open during winter? thanks.

Thanks jasonteoch and decks. have been shopping around for clothings thats suitable almost done with a few layers of warm wear but need some advice again, is a down jacket needed and have notice the different % of down labelled on the jacket. which is more suitable ? 90% or 60% etc? or a few layer of warm thick jacket with a windbreaker water proof material on the outer will do? also, are those snacks street or street markets open during winter? thanks.

They are operating as per normal

Just come back from Beijing for my son's holiday.

1) Transport: a)No.1 choice is MRT. Never try to enjoy a pleasant trip on a TAXI if you stay within 2nd Ring Road. You may hold still in a cab on the rod all the day. The MRT is super crowded in rush hours, just avoid that if it is possible.
b)Traffic is better outside of 3rd Ring Road. You may call a taxi to deliver you to the closest MRT station.
2) Weather. a)Yes, it's extremely cold, even more, it's dry. Cold and dry, that's a challenge to most SG -- only when you are outdoor. It's quite warm indoor at most place for the robust city heating system.
b)Try to humidify the air in the room you stayed overnight. Case of nose bleed were reported by some Singaporean were heard.
c) A pair of warm gloove is a must. It need not to be very thick, like this is enough:

100percentacrylicjacquardglove_99480.jpg

Last but not least, try to do some research of Beijing online to plan the trip in detail in advance.

Hi guys,

Thank you in advance

Others have help you in your clothing part.
regarding camera, oyu need to know what style you like.
I was a wide shooter, now moving to the range of 28-300 mm (FF equivalent)
I used to carry a 17-55 + 50-150 into forbiden city, too heavy sometimes...

If i'm in your case, i will bring 5D. Just my own opinion

nimul, Thanks! will go check out on the map of beijing of the hotel :D

shen siung, i dont intend to shoot tele so im only brining my 17-40 along. maybe a 50mm. just a qs, do u think flash is needed? im trying to lighten my load as much as possible yet i dont wish to miss anything. im a wide shooter too hence more or less confirmed with a 5d and 17-40.

One more thing to share: to carry extra battery for your camera since it's frozen there.

My 5DII run out of power before I finished the Forbidden City tour. Two fully charged battery counted 450 shots only and that is only 1/3-1/2 of the number in SG.

!!!!

Last edited:
If u want to take a great wall trip, don't get cheated. Some of the trips take u to all their friends shops and try to get u to buy jewelery...

nimul, hey thanks for the advice. read about that too. hopefully i can survive with my 3 batteries. :/

doaaron, thanks for the warning! will b careful with my spending.

btw, anyone know if beijing is or had snowed for the past few days? according to weather forecast the next 10 days will have 0% chance of snow? thats a little disappointing and i hope forecast are not reliable :/