Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

In body image stabilizing system is a good system whereby it would stabilize your shots even when you have a shaky hand (condition applied). Basically many camera system had this type of stabilizing option, some of them are build into the body, others implement it in some of their lenses. One of the good things about in body stabilizing system was that you can utilize any lenses (correct mount though) and still get the benefit of a stabilized system.

For interchangeable lens cameras system that do not have the inbody stabilizing system, you would either have to rely on the following for image stabilization,

1) Correct holding techniques/ breathing techniques
2) Image stabilized lenses (very very expensive)
3) monopod or tripod

1) and 3) is also applicable to camera with inbody stabilization system, but it will enhance the experience more.

As to NEX-5N do not have too many lenses, well... with an adapter, you can use all the A-mount lenses of native Sony DSLT and DSLR cameras.

And you are right about big size sensor producing cleaner photos (note: Cleaner photo, meaning it had less noise in high ISO)... better picture... not necessary. As I have mentioned before, cleaner, sharper and more contrasty image only make up some part of the overall feel of the picture. The bigger part is the composition... and that is what make your photo interesting.

Thank you very much rhino, you are very helpful. You hv been a great help for me. Thanks for the paitence in explaining stuffs to me :)

Only when you really go down to the shops to try and feel the grip, the weight and everything, the functions. Then you will know what really suits you the most.
Go down to the shop and test it up yourself. See which one fits in your hands better. They are both very capable machine.

Ok! Will do! Thank you guys :)

Okay so now you have a reason to start. Pretty similar to a lot of people why they want to venture into photography. So let's give you heads up for reason to sustain. If you are ready to start it, then go ahead.

1) any camera is fine, important is you can afford it and you enjoy using.
2) all cameras can give you good images, it is how you use it, when you use it, and where to use it. So be prepared for initial disappointment, but if you are willing to sustain this hobby with patience and passion, you will rip something out from it.
3) when you admire those nice images, some are sheer luck, some are patience waiting and some are planned or staged. There are also those that makes your back pain, shoulder pain, legs pain, smelly from perspire and boredom from waiting. If these all doesn't bother you, then you are about there.
4) you must also be prepared to lug something with you so that it's there to snap for you when you see something nice. There are a lot of people just end up putting their camera at home and say it is too heavy to bring out. Then you just bought a white elephant home. That is why there are reasons to believe iPhone 4s makes a good camera :)
5) when you start into this hobby, it can get expensive and your investment suddenly turn into a chore if you don't manage well. If you are prepared, that's good.

You can start by thinking is this what you get into? No regrets? Then get started by selecting a camera to start with. Read up what is the offering in the market now online and magazines.

Hi there, good morning. Actually the main reason behind my interest on photography is because my life is dull... I don't seem to have a life at all... And my life is filled with negativities... Which all these I had little power over. I can't make my life colourful and could barely change it positive.. My perspective in this world is a negative one. I cant do anything with my life but I hope I can create life in pictures, add colours to my pictures. Ultimately through photography change me into a more positive person through discovering the beautiful and positive things I overlooked in my whole life.

About future investing... It's not in my mind yet and won't be so soon. I will stick with the lens kit to train myself. Gonna start from the basics and learn how to crawl first. So I don't really wanna bother myself with future upgrades yet but I believe I would ultimately do in the far future :)

Last edited:
Hi there, good morning. Actually the main reason behind my interest on photography is because my life is dull... I don't seem to have a life at all... And my life is filled with negativities... Which all these I had little power over. I can't make my life colourful and could barely change it positive.. My perspective in this world is a negative one. I cant do anything with my life but I hope I can create life in pictures, add colours to my pictures. Ultimately through photography change me into a more positive person through discovering the beautiful and positive things I overlooked in my whole life.

About future investing... It's not in my mind yet and won't be so soon. I will stick with the lens kit to train myself. Gonna start from the basics and learn how to crawl first. So I don't really wanna bother myself with future upgrades yet but I believe I would ultimately do in the far future :)

If you need a shooting partner, you can always PM me, I am also a newbie though. :p

If you need a shooting partner, you can always PM me, I am also a newbie though. :p

Haha I don't mind! But I can only get my camera next month. Can't wait to get it to be honest. :) Can keep in contact.

Wow many nice people here :) thanks a lot guys

you remind of myself when i was younger.. skeptic of life.. LOL..
now with family.. my perspective in life changed for good..

anyhow.. i hope photography will make you optimistic in life.. :)

you remind of myself when i was younger.. skeptic of life.. LOL..
now with family.. my perspective in life changed for good..

anyhow.. i hope photography will make you optimistic in life.. :)

Haha! Beautiful pictures cheer me up a lot. So I couldn't imagine the person who produce those photos how they would feel... Perhaps very nice and fulfilling feeling.

And hey! Thanks for introducing me to this forum! It's great! :) nice and helpful people around

Hi there, good morning. Actually the main reason behind my interest on photography is because my life is dull... I don't seem to have a life at all... And my life is filled with negativities... Which all these I had little power over. I can't make my life colourful and could barely change it positive.. My perspective in this world is a negative one. I cant do anything with my life but.... ...

Sounds about like me too... (but was used to be filled up by games instead)

Sounds about like me too... (but was used to be filled up by games instead)

Haha I have computer and gaming hobby too. But found out its not a good hobby to open up my life as it confines me at home making me a very closed person internally. Couldn't see much in this world either and my vision is very narrow. Would love to see things in a wider perspective. :)

Haha I have computer and gaming hobby too. But found out its not a good hobby to open up my life as it confines me at home making me a very closed person internally. Couldn't see much in this world either and my vision is very narrow. Would love to see things in a wider perspective. :)

Join some of the outing in CS. You get to meet more people (most of them are very friendly and helpful) and you get to learn lots of tips in photography as well as other things too.

I enjoyed all my outings with them.

Haha I don't mind! But I can only get my camera next month. Can't wait to get it to be honest. :) Can keep in contact.

Wow many nice people here :) thanks a lot guys

Haha no problem, but currently I am still schooling, most probably if I am free can only shoot on weekends. Haha otherwise during feburary next year, then I will be free. Hahaha this forum is filled with a lot of nice people. Haha

Join some of the outing in CS. You get to meet more people (most of them are very friendly and helpful) and you get to learn lots of tips in photography as well as other things too.

I enjoyed all my outings with them.

yup I hope I got time to join you and Tay K T sometime soon haha

Haha! Beautiful pictures cheer me up a lot. So I couldn't imagine the person who produce those photos how they would feel... Perhaps very nice and fulfilling feeling.

And hey! Thanks for introducing me to this forum! It's great! :) nice and helpful people around

Spot on. Precisely why photography gives me so much self gratification.

It's when you see those nice photos which came out from your hand, then you'll feel that the money invested is all worth it.

Just like how you'll add a SSD to your computer. Yes, it's expensive but if the speed makes you happy, then why not?

If you want a wider perspective, go for UWA!

Nah, just joking. On a serious note, photography does change my perspective in seeing things, be it literally or figuratively.

now we sound the same :bsmilie:

Get a UWA ;p It will distort your reality

Sorry now using iPhone reply, 3G kinda slow. Hving difficulty muti-quoting. So pardon me if I missed out somebody's post or I reply a lil slow.

UWA? What's that? Haha will google it later. Ya when I get my camera would love to tag along with you guys to learn from you guys :)

I hope can get the camera ASAP. AWS around early next month.. But will try to get it ASAP can't wait. Next month I just remembered got ICT high key :( 2weeks. Am trying to rush to get it before my ICT :D anybody knows place to get a good lobang on cameras? I went to mscolor to get e-quote 2 days ago but still no reply :p

Last edited:
Sorry now using iPhone reply, 3G kinda slow. Hving difficulty muti-quoting. So pardon me if I missed out somebody's post or I reply a lil slow.

UWA? What's that? Haha will google it later. Ya when I get my camera would love to tag along with you guys to learn from you guys :)

I hope can get the camera ASAP. AWS around early next month.. But will try to get it ASAP can't wait. Next month I just remembered got ICT high key :( 2weeks. Am trying to rush to get it before my ICT :D anybody knows place to get a good lobang on cameras? I went to mscolor to get e-quote 2 days ago but still no reply :p

UWA - ultrawide angle lens (normally from 18mm down - at present moment the more popular are the Sigma 10-22mm, Tokina 11-16mm and own brand's offering - be it Sony, Canon or Nikon. (coincidently I will be getting my Tokina 12-24mm soon).

More popular shops will be MScolor, SLRR, TK foto, Cathay Photo (not exactly the cheapest), John 3:16(but don't ask about Sony from John 3:16, they are kind of not very supportive of Sony's product - don't know why), Orient Photo. The contact for all these sites can be found in our price guide section.

UWA - ultrawide angle lens (normally from 18mm down - at present moment the more popular are the Sigma 10-22mm, Tokina 11-16mm and own brand's offering - be it Sony, Canon or Nikon. (coincidently I will be getting my Tokina 12-24mm soon).

More popular shops will be MScolor, SLRR, TK foto, Cathay Photo (not exactly the cheapest), John 3:16(but don't ask about Sony from John 3:16, they are kind of not very supportive of Sony's product - don't know why), Orient Photo. The contact for all these sites can be found in our price guide section.

Plus 1 to this

I'm thinking to get a Sigma 10-20 too, either hk or sg (still thinking) haha

You can also give them a call and ask for quotation 1st =)..