Advice for 70-200 f2.8 third party lenses

bojee

Feb 4, 2011
Singapore
Hi All!

I would like to seek your advice regarding 3rd party 70-200 f2.8 lenses. I don't have the budget to buy a Nikkor, but I would like to know if the 3rd party ones are decent enough to consider. I'm currently leaning towards the Tamron 70-200. All your advice would be very much appreciated. :)

im using Sigma 70-200mm HSM II..

why not you just get down to one shop like CathayPhoto and try out the lens and see which one you prefer??
haha..

Did you consider the Nikon AF 80-200 F2.8D ED lens? It is around $1.6k new.

It does not have VR though.

im using Sigma 70-200mm HSM II..

why not you just get down to one shop like CathayPhoto and try out the lens and see which one you prefer??
haha..

Hahaha I'm a bit timid and I really don't wanna bother them knowing that I won't buy yet. :)

Anyway, is the Sigma version good enough for you? I heard it's AF is better than Tamron. Is it sharp enough at 200?

Last edited:
Did you consider the Nikon AF 80-200 F2.8D ED lens? It is around $1.6k new.

It does not have VR though.

I'm also considering that though I think I need some sort of VR cuz I'm a skinny guy hahahaha! :)

You are better off with a used af-d 80-200mm at around 1k if budget is a concern. Trust me.
Check the m/a selector ring for crack b4 purchase a used set.

I'm also considering that though I think I need some sort of VR cuz I'm a skinny guy hahahaha! :)

If you are looking for a VR version, then it is the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS HSM for you. I don't think Tamron has a VC version as yet. It is about S$1,900/=.

similar discussion found in flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikondigitallearningcenter/discuss/72157618467598311/

i was in the same shoes as u r now. gotten the nikon 80-200 2 ring version in the end :bsmilie: the lack of vr can be pretty challenging. a solution is to get a monopod to act as VR in return for a slight sacrifice in mobility. or u can do weight training to strengthen ur arm :p

bought it from ddelectronics at 1.28k n paid by cash, but the price of this lens shot up recently. currently now at 1499 with gst.

well the choice is urs. sigma has good AF n has the OS advantage but u haf to know that sigma lenses are known to have calibration issues.

Tried most of them before. Had a tokina, Sigma & finally a Nikon VR1.
Tokina - Build like a tank but images is poor, metering just cannot get it right
Sigma - Nice to hold/grip, lens body coating suck big time. It keeps peeling. Images pretty decent provided not wide open. It is extremely diff to focus in low light, go rent one to try if not go to any shops to try it too.
Nikon - No complains ... it is just gorgeous, focus fast, spot on for sport, sharp when wide open, love it in low light situation

Honestly if you are on a budget get the 80-200 instead it is 1/2 the price and have pretty decent image quality

Hmmm. Thanks guys. I guess I'll take a look at the 80-200. :)

Hmmm. Thanks guys. I guess I'll take a look at the 80-200. :)

There are many versions of the 80-200/2.8 as well.

Push pull ver 1.
AF-D push pull ver 2.
AF-D two ring
AF-S

AF-D two ring is the one most people will recommend. THe one with the best IQ is the AF-S 80-200/2.8 but it is a heavy lens. I am using the AF-D push pull ver 2. You can see some sample pics from this older but excellent lens here:
http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2010/11/little-cannon.html

There are many versions of the 80-200/2.8 as well.

Push pull ver 1.
AF-D push pull ver 2.
AF-D two ring
AF-S

AF-D two ring is the one most people will recommend. THe one with the best IQ is the AF-S 80-200/2.8 but it is a heavy lens. I am using the AF-D push pull ver 2. You can see some sample pics from this older but excellent lens here:
http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2010/11/little-cannon.html

Are these lenses comparable in price?

And how about the AF-S? Is the weight difference really that big of a deal?

Thanks for the input.

Are these lenses comparable in price?

And how about the AF-S? Is the weight difference really that big of a deal?

Thanks for the input.

Keep in mind that AF-S version is harder to find than the other two Push-pulls... (all out of production).

Weight is subjective between individuals... Initially one may find it heavy, but the more you handle it the more you adapt to the weight - mindset change for some. Then again, there also those who just can't get pass that weight barrier. Go to NSC to try it out first - will give you a better idea.

I tried the tamron, AF is reasonably fast (roughly the same as 80-200 but quieter). Nikon's 70-200 afs wins hands down.