Advice/ feedback on Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

didirus

Mar 13, 2007
Hi All,
Need advice and feedback from fellow CSers on converters. I'm comtemplting buying a converter and a couple of questions pop up.
Firstly, what's the biggest difference (besides price of course) between original nikon converter such as TC 1.7E II and say next available subsitute like Kenko Teleplus pro range?
Second, any limitations if a macro converter like the MC7 from Kenko is used as a tele converter?

the original tc 1.7 is of course much much better

1) the body of the teleconverter is made of full solid metal, dam rock solid. If u molest a nikon and a kenko teleconverter side by side, u will get high touching the nikon

2) the teleconverter of nikon has weather sealing. If u have weather sealing lens like 70-200vr and weather seal body like D300, u will have full weather seal when attaching the teleconverter

3) Optical quality of course no need say, the original nikon is better

4) Nikon has 1.4x, 1.7x, 2x, kenko only has 1.4x and 2.0x.

5) if u attach a 2x nikon teleconverter to ur 70-200 2.8vr, ur camera will report correctly as f5.6. But if u attach a 2x kenko, it will still report as 2.8. The kenko doesnt tell the cam body that a teleconverter is attached.

still got more, but i think the above is enough to make up ur mind.. :thumbsup:

5) if u attach a 2x nikon teleconverter to ur 70-200 2.8vr, ur camera will report correctly as f5.6. But if u attach a 2x kenko, it will still report as 2.8. The kenko doesnt tell the cam body that a teleconverter is attached.

btw, my camera still report the correct f-stop even i attached my kenko TC (1.4x, 2x & 3x).
Nikon TC is only able to use on Nikon longer prime lenses, not able to attached to 70-200f2.8VR.
My Nikon AFS 1.7TCII is solely use for my 300mmf4, i can't use for any of my other lenses i own, not even on my 200mmf/4, so don't talk about zoom.

Please to a search on-line before giving untrue comments.

btw, my camera still report the correct f-stop even i attached my kenko TC (1.4x, 2x & 3x).
Nikon TC is only able to use on Nikon longer prime lenses, not able to attached to 70-200f2.8VR.
My Nikon AFS 1.7TCII is solely use for my 300mmf4, i can't use for any of my other lenses i own, not even on my 200mmf/4, so don't talk about zoom.

Please to a search on-line before giving untrue comments.

go and take a kenko teleconverter and mount it to a AF 70-300G lens, then YOU tell me, what u see as the apeture.

If 70-200 f2.8 cant attach the nikon TC, the sky will be collapsing on my head now :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Looks like differering points of views here. Now I more confuse than ever :dunno:
Anyone else got anything to add?

Looks like differering points of views here. Now I more confuse than ever :dunno:
Anyone else got anything to add?

Maybe you can go to the shop, try those different teleconverter and compare yourself? Then you buy the one you want lah...

People tends to give their subjective opinion... that's why you became more confused after reading them.

The following was quoted from Nikon's website about the AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II...

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-N.../2151/AF-S%20Teleconverter%20TC-17E%20II.html

• Designed exclusively for use with AF-S and AF-I lenses, the AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II completes the Nikon lineup of 1.4x, 1.7x, and 2.0x compact Teleconverters. *
  • Adds photographic versatility without the expense or weight of an extra lens.
  • Allows focal length to be extended by a factor of 1.7 times while retaining a sense of overall comfort in the hand.
  • Minimal effect on f-number of 1.5 stops.
  • Supports the use of Nikon Vibration Reduction (VR) function.
  • Design is consistent with the current TC-14E II and TC-20E II Teleconverters.
  • Compatible with Eco-Glass.
  • Compact and lightweight.
  • Autofocus not possible with, AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED, AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED, AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR, AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4D IF-ED II AF-S NIKKOR 600mmf/4G ED VR, AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4D IF-ED II and AF-S VR Micro 105mm f/2.8G
  • AF-S Teleconverters are compatible with AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses except AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED, AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mmf/2.8G ED, AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED, AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED, AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED and DX NIKKOR lenses. (Please note that AF-S Teleconverters are not compatible with AF-NIKKOR lenses)

Status
Not open for further replies.