advice -> dust in e-3 viewfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few possible places:

1. on the external side of the focusing screen - use a good blower. May or may not come off. Do not use a cloth, you will just add mroe dust and dirt and scratch the focusing screen (which is really damaging and then you have a really faulty camera)

2. on the internal side of the focusing screen - nothing you can do as an end-user. Have to send to service center for cleaning if desired.

3. on one of the prism surfaces or in the internal viewfinder optics - nothing you can do as an end-user. Have to send to service center for cleaning if desired.

Viewfinder dust is part and parcel of using a D/SLR. If it is bad enough to affect your use of the camera, then try with a (good) blower and if not send for cleaning. If it is just a tiny speck and the viewfinder is not longer "pristine", try to live with it.

Help yourself: learn to ignore what cannot be prevented and doesn't affect the image :bsmilie:

OMG PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.

I GOT DUST IN MY E-3 VIEWFINDER AND I CANT CLEAN IT OFF IN ANYWAY.

i sorta know where is it but cant reach it by cloth or blower etc

any advice please >!?!:dunno:

My advice is ignore it. Doesn't affect the final image anyway.

U know when u change the view finder to another type, there exist a clipper (comes with the new screen) for u to clip out the old finder & replace with the new one. Juz get hold of one of it & clean the screen, its a fairly easy op. I had it for my E1 (changed to grid screen) but now can't seems to find it, else can lend u for a while :)

Last edited:
U know when u change the view finder to another type, there exist a clipper (comes with the new screen) for u to clip out the old finder & replace with the new one. Juz get hold of one of it & clean the screen, its a fairly easy op. I had it for my E1 (changed to grid screen) but now can't seems to find it, else can lend u for a while :)

That unfortunately only works for the E-1; the E-3 does not have a user-replaceable focusing screen; taking the focusing screen out and putting it back is suppose to be a factory/service center job only. Of course, like the other E-bodies, it can be "forcefully" removed but there is the risk of physical damage.

Yes I did that on my E-1 (changed the FS-1 standard focusing screen to the FS-2 grid focusing screen) and I was able to blow out the dust that was behind the focusing screen. Sadly, there is no clipper or tab to grab on in the case of the E-3.

thanks so much for the response guys!
really appreciate it !

well i dont know how to explain it well, but i know where is it at in the camera.
i tried a blower.
erms its like..stuck beneth the screen ??

yes it doesnt affect the image but its really......BIG in the viewfinder so like see already will ....................sorta kill the mood..

was thinking of sending it down too but as i bought the E-3 last year i cant really rmb if warrenty is still available. will check that out soon !!

lets say if i send it to em, will i have to pay for the services if its under warrenty??

kenji

thanks so much for the response guys!
really appreciate it !

well i dont know how to explain it well, but i know where is it at in the camera.
i tried a blower.

yes it doesnt affect the image but its really......BIG in the viewfinder so like see already will ....................sorta kill the mood..

was thinking of sending it down too but as i bought the E-3 last year i cant really rmb if warrenty is still available. will check that out soon !!

lets say if i send it to em, will i have to pay for the services if its under warrenty??

kenji

Even if it's under warranty, you'll have to pay for that I believe. Dust is not a defect, and warranties only cover defective products. It's not Oly's fault that dust enters your camera. It's part of SLR photography.

I honestly suggest you suck it up and learn to bear with it. Remove the dust this time and it'll come back. We don't live in a dust free world.

well, if i can find a way to remove it i would want to unless its really no choice..

sorry but im just sorta a neat freak..
so yea..

but thanks for the advice !!
i'll have to do that if i can remove it

That unfortunately only works for the E-1; the E-3 does not have a user-replaceable focusing screen; taking the focusing screen out and putting it back is suppose to be a factory/service center job only. Of course, like the other E-bodies, it can be "forcefully" removed but there is the risk of physical damage.

Yes I did that on my E-1 (changed the FS-1 standard focusing screen to the FS-2 grid focusing screen) and I was able to blow out the dust that was behind the focusing screen. Sadly, there is no clipper or tab to grab on in the case of the E-3.

Oops... Pardon me. And i thot the pro line wud have interchangeable screen. :confused: Didn't know the E3 has fixed screen. Sorry :sweatsm:

Oops... Pardon me. And i thot the pro line wud have interchangeable screen. :confused: Didn't know the E3 has fixed screen. Sorry :sweatsm:

No apologies needed at all :eek: The E-3 does have interchangeable focusing screen... just not end-user replaceable. There is a grid focusing screen option, but it must be ordered when the camera is purchased (the retailer can arrange with Oly to install one before delivering the camera to you) or it can be ordered and installed by sending the camera to Oly Service Center.

i tried a blower.

kenji

Best way and only way to know is to contact OSC and ask them! If the dust or dirt is REALLY big and bad, you might want to try asking OSC how it can get behind the focusing screen in the first place... maybe the focusing screen was not mounted correctly or there is too large a gap between the screen and the prism... if you get my drift and try to get OSC to do and check over of your camera optical VF assembly and clean that dust/dirt BTW ;) ;p

Best way and only way to know is to contact OSC and ask them! If the dust or dirt is REALLY big and bad, you might want to try asking OSC how it can get behind the focusing screen in the first place... maybe the focusing screen was not mounted correctly or there is too large a gap between the screen and the prism... if you get my drift and try to get OSC to do and check over of your camera optical VF assembly and clean that dust/dirt BTW ;) ;p

yes i get you bro,
so that i wont have to pay for the servicing.
yea i'll prob go down coming monday as i need my cam on this saturday and on the 1st week of aug so yea.
hopefully all will be ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.