Advice/Comments from Distinguished Members Please

Stephen27

Aug 19, 2012
Yishun
Dear Distinguished Members,

Apppreciate if some advice/comments can be forthcoming on the following please i.e.

1. What brand & type/model of tripod would you recommend for my Nikon
D700 and Nikkor 24-70/f/2.8 lens please? ( I have never tried using a
tripod so am quite apprehensive in making a fool of myself).

2. The tripod recommended should also be able to carry a prime lens f/2.8,
400mm please (near future)

3. Type and brand of electronic trigger for the camera please.

Thank You.

Cheers,
Stephen

your qns is not typical for smone who owns some pro gears :)
ok, maybe you only shoot streets so you never used tripod b4
Anyway, Sirui makes some very nice tripods.

your qns is not typical for smone who owns some pro gears :)
ok, maybe you only shoot streets so you never used tripod b4
Anyway, Sirui makes some very nice tripods.

Hi Distinguished Member Learnphotography,

Thank you for your comment and advice.

And also thank you for saying my gears are pro gears. I never considered it pro gears when I bought them because I am one who always want to buy top of the range products to avoid having to upgrade now and then. Though the D700 is actually not top of the range as I have always wanted the D3X but cannot afford it, when the D700 was out in the market, I quickly bought one as I checked and found that with the exception of its full frame 100% vs 95% of the D700, most of the technical specs were almost identical save for a few minor differrences and it was within budget too compared to the D3X which was and still is, more than S$10K.

Since obtaining the D700 in 1999, I have self-taught by buying photography books from Amazon.com same time learning from the many many websites on photography which is easily available for beginners like myself. I also learn through trial and error and when I hit a problem, I will put my problem(s) on the Forum of ClubSnap and I am confident I will always get expert advices/comments from Distinguished Members like you Sir!

Thank You and Best Regards,

Cheers!

Stephen

dont call me distinguished member. Im not. :)
there are plenty of them out there

Since obtaining the D700 in 1999, I have self-taught by buying photography books from Amazon.com same time learning from the many many websites on photography which is easily available for beginners like myself. I also learn through trial and error and when I hit a problem, I will put my problem(s) on the Forum of ClubSnap and I am confident I will always get expert advices/comments from Distinguished Members like you Sir!

Cheers!

Stephen

I thought the D700 was released back in 2008?

Dear Distinguished Members,

Apppreciate if some advice/comments can be forthcoming on the following please i.e.

1. What brand & type/model of tripod would you recommend for my Nikon
D700 and Nikkor 24-70/f/2.8 lens please? ( I have never tried using a
tripod so am quite apprehensive in making a fool of myself).

2. The tripod recommended should also be able to carry a prime lens f/2.8,
400mm please (near future)

3. Type and brand of electronic trigger for the camera please.

Thank You.

Cheers,
Stephen

I would suggest the following:

1. Read the many many previous "recommend tripod" threads.

2. Use basic math to calculate the total weight of your gear, then use that when you go check out tripods.

3. Quite a few choices of electronic trigger. What have you shortlisted?

4. How did you have a D700 in 1999?

And also thank you for saying my gears are pro gears. I never considered it pro gears when I bought them because I am one who always want to buy top of the range products to avoid having to upgrade now and then. Though the D700 is actually not top of the range as I have always wanted the D3X but cannot afford it, when the D700 was out in the market, I quickly bought one as I checked and found that with the exception of its full frame 100% vs 95% of the D700, most of the technical specs were almost identical save for a few minor differrences and it was within budget too compared to the D3X which was and still is, more than S$10K.

Cheers!

Stephen

I think you need to go and learn again.

1. The D3X and D700 are both full frame. The 95% refers to viewfinder coverage, not sensor size.

2. There are massive differences between the D3X versus the D700, most importantly the 24mp versus 12mp sensor size and performance at high ISO.

3. Unless, of course, you are referring to the D3s, in which case I still would suggest reading up again because the D3X is very very different.

1) Read the sticky thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/others/384016-basic-guidelines-selection-tripod-tripod-head.html
2) Do some maths available information (lens weight and camera weight are stated on Nikon website)
3) What kind of trigger are you looking at? Wired? Wireless? What functions do you need? Just press and shoot? Time lapse?
Looks to me as if you are going into wildlife or birding, where you want to shoot from a distance. Please confirm or describe your ideas a bit more, plus: read in the respective sections here where members are discussing their experiences and gear. (Hope these members are distinguished enough in your eyes...)

First off TS. You would need to read up more on your camera, because you are confused with some of the spec... like Full Frame and Viewfinder coverage.

As for which tripod to use... you would need to ask yourself these questions,

1) Budget? (no budget, then get the Manfrotto or Gitzo)
2) What is the maximum weight of all your equipment (inclusive your planned future equipment)
3) Height of the tripod needed (+ tripod head)
4) Weight (Are you bother with heavy weight or die die need lighter weight - this would determine whether to get aluminium or carbon fibre tripod)
5) Are to going to shoot at weird angles? (this would determine the type of tripod needed)

Without asking yourself and presenting the abovementioned to us, none of us could advice you accurately.

Anyway... a few tripod brand that you could look into,

1) Gitzo (the most expensive)
2) Manfrotto
3) Sirui
4) Benro
5) Slik
6) Vanguard

A thousand apologies, the date I purchased my D700 should be 2009 and not 1999.

Thank you for pointing out the error.

Cheers,
Stephen

Since you mentioned that you always go for the top of the range equipments, then the choice should be clear. Get a Gitzo tripod.

Stephen, what is with the salutations? Are you taking the piss?

Stephen, what is with the salutations? Are you taking the piss?

Hello G-man,

Firstly, I sincerely believe that courtesy begets courtesy that is why I always will always be polite because as I am in need of good advice which will ultimately help me progress, it is the natural thing to do i.e. be courteous and polite at all times.

Secondly, the question "Are you taking the piss"? Sorry G-man but I do not understand this question. Does it mean that I am under pressure or stress? Appreciate if you will elaborate please. I have never heard such a word used in a sentence Sir.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Stephen

Secondly, the question "Are you taking the piss"? Sorry G-man but I do not understand this question. Does it mean that I am under pressure or stress? Appreciate if you will elaborate please. I have never heard such a word used in a sentence Sir.

Taking the piss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uncle, don't need to write a post until so formal in forum, making people feel very uncomfortable leh...but please also don't write too short with a lot of sms lingo.
Thank you. :)

Taking the piss is a British term meaning to take liberties at the expense of others, or to be unreasonable. It is often used (or confused) with taking the piss out of which is an expression meaning to mock, tease, ridicule, or scoff.[taken from Wikipedia]

I am sorry that my way of writing has been misconstrued as the abovementioned. In all honesty, I am only trying to be polite and courteous to the members who are giving me advices.

Being a senior citizen (I am 65 years old), I have always written in this manner during my younger days; I guess old habits die hard!

But I will surely try not to be so formal and make members feel uncomfortable.

Please kindly accept my apologies!

Cheers!

Stephen

According to your profile, you are 64 years old and a female.

Taking the piss is a British term meaning to take liberties at the expense of others, or to be unreasonable. It is often used (or confused) with taking the piss out of which is an expression meaning to mock, tease, ridicule, or scoff.[taken from Wikipedia]

I am sorry that my way of writing has been misconstrued as the abovementioned. In all honesty, I am only trying to be polite and courteous to the members who are giving me advices.

Being a senior citizen (I am 65 years old), I have always written in this manner during my younger days; I guess old habits die hard!

Cheers!

Stephen
don't need to apologize, you are not doing anything wrong, just that overly formal in your posting, it makes members a little hard to response to you without mistaken as being rude.

sometime, just use the magic words like "please" and "thank you" is all you need, and don't forget to use the expression too, like :), :D, etc, as no one can see your facial expression online, so these little expression speak more than words. :)

Cheers!

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I personally think your attitude is great, just don't need to be so formal. :) Well, beats numerous threads out there where the threadstarter asks questions and doesn't read and provides short curt replies which hint that he thinks that everyone else on the forums is his personal information machine. :bsmilie:

What trigger are you looking for? I'm not sure what you mean.

As for tripod brands, a lot of people here use Sirui nowadays, it is good value for money. You can drop by TK Foto @ Funan to browse the tripods available to you.. Feel free to ask more if you are not sure what range you want. Maybe here are some questions that you could answer for people here to help you out better:

1) What is your weight tolerance for a tripod?
2) Do you intend to use it for travelling?
3) Do you have any height preferences for the tripod? Must it go high? Must it go low?
4) What do you intend to use the tripod to shoot?
5) Do you need any special features like: variable angle column (you can Google), detatchable monopod, etc?