Advice: Canon PowerShot SX150 IS or Nikon CoolPix L310

Goliath1978

Sep 3, 2012
Bedok
As mentioned above, which compact digital camera is good at the moment? I just see the price tags and I find that they are around my budget at the moment since I also plan to go overseas for holiday soon.

Thanks in advance.

1) Canon PowerShot SX150 IS

powershotsx150is-b1.png

2) Nikon CoolPix L310

qBR.png

This two models look like DSLRs. Just that the lens cannot be changed. And they use AA batteries. :D

I found one dry box that is black and looks like a tool box. The silica pack is stacked on the box lid. Is that box good? It is sold in Challenger. Even Samurai also comes out a small dry box. Steady.

This two models look like DSLRs. Just that the lens cannot be changed. And they use AA batteries. :D

They are known as bridge cameras,something between a compact and a Dslr but the sensor is a tiny one ( the size of your finger nail) like a compact.

So if you refer to your previous thread about entry level dlsr,if you get fungus you have to dismantle the camera to get at the lens which I don't think you want to do.

You chose canon and nikon,nothing wrong if that's your preference and you want brand new stuff but I think it's a step backward as the prices for the two models are not exactly cheap either.So it's a poor use of hard eard money.Except for the long zoom ,performance is slow.
There's no viewfinder so you have problem in bright light if you go overseas.Since you're going to buy a use and throw cam why not consider
a used dslr from the brands that you like for about the same price of the bridge cams.Just do your homework of the various older dslr features
and wait patiently for it to appear in the buy/sell section.If you don't mind other brand there's a Pentax KX/kit lens for $340 or KR for a bit more.( A KR would be best as there is focus point select confirmation in viewfinder.) Sony dslr if you like electronic viewfinder.

Edit : Pentax KX uses AA batteries while KR has lithium battery but have an adapter for AA batteries.

PS: A dry box is not foolproof best to get a small dry cab for $100++. for peace of mind. Technically a tupperware box and silca gel satchet
will do also.

Last edited:
On the other hand if weight and bulk is a concern as someone suggested,Samsung EX2F or Lumix LX7 ,both with F 1.4 apertures
will do nicely for indoor and night shots for your holidays.Don't know if your budget allows for it?

I found one dry box that is black and looks like a tool box. The silica pack is stacked on the box lid. Is that box good? It is sold in Challenger. Even Samurai also comes out a small dry box. Steady.
The box is only as good as the person controlling RH level and maintaining the silica gel. For Singapore, get a dry cabinet. You surely will find more items that can be stored inside. Smallest size is about 30l. For oversea holidays, just forget it. Use your camera, nothing to worry.