ADSL Modem - Which Brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madman

Apr 29, 2004
Need some help on Modem purchase.

Just signed up for Jetpack volume plan for my dad at his home.

Router: Linksys WRT54G

Now need an ADSL modem... as my old USB modem cannot be used.

Can anyone recommend a stable ethernet modem that will do the job?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Hi!

I use the recommended SpeedStream MODEM and the Linksys WRT54G to connect to Singnet 512K. Somehow after every few hours of use ..... sometimes the internet link "hanged" and I need to reboot the Modem+Router setup!!!!

I've got a Alcatel SpeedTouch Home for sale, let me know if you're interested.

I'd recommend Alcatel modems anytime. Have a Speedtouch Pro as a backup, a number of friends all using this modem with their setups no issues.

I've got the efficient speedstream modems as well - 5260 and 5660 - Also a handful of friends using the WRT54G and a 5260 on SNBB, doesn't hang.

Aztech ethernet modem,cheapest in the market at around $69 last seen.
behind is 1 lan port,if 4 lan port will be around $99.

catseye said:
Hi!

I use the recommended SpeedStream MODEM and the Linksys WRT54G to connect to Singnet 512K. Somehow after every few hours of use ..... sometimes the internet link "hanged" and I need to reboot the Modem+Router setup!!!!

I am using Singnet 512k unlimited also. Singnet gave me Prolink 1 to 1 port modem for free. I have same problem as you, the connection drops once after few hours! But I don't need reset as it'll auto reconnect after few min. The SpeedStream is a brand?

s2s1 said:
I am using Singnet 512k unlimited also. Singnet gave me Prolink 1 to 1 port modem for free. I have same problem as you, the connection drops once after few hours! But I don't need reset as it'll auto reconnect after few min. The SpeedStream is a brand?

Efficient Networks. They manufacture the speedstream line of modems.

I've got a couple of friends who are using the same setup with a WRT54G with no issues. Wondering why you guys facing such problems.

dEthANGeL said:
Efficient Networks. They manufacture the speedstream line of modems.

I've got a couple of friends who are using the same setup with a WRT54G with no issues. Wondering why you guys facing such problems.

I wonder also and guess is Prolink ADSL modem not stable. But lucky it can go live auto itself. :D

s2s1 said:
I wonder also and guess is Prolink ADSL modem not stable. But lucky it can go live auto itself. :D

I do not have problem with Prolink ADSL. Could it be your line ?

kitkat said:
I do not have problem with Prolink ADSL. Could it be your line ?

Might be coz I stay in a very old HDB. But Singtel ppl dun want come check my line b4 i sign up. They said only come when line can't connect.

Do you have any idea to check my line? Like see the link signal info inside modem?

s2s1 said:
Might be coz I stay in a very old HDB. But Singtel ppl dun want come check my line b4 i sign up. They said only come when line can't connect.

Do you have any idea to check my line? Like see the link signal info inside modem?

For prolink i'm not sure. For speedstream / alcatel / cisco systems .. there is a page for you to check your attenuation.

Best is if you make alot of noise to SNBB tech support say line drop/line lags/line this line that... speed slow etc etc... they'll definitely send a linesman down to your place to do diagnostics.

Do note that the minute they step into your home and find that the problem is on your part, you'll need to pay. IF its their problem (old line or problem within their own infrastructure, then its free.)

Try connecting the modem directly to the phone point, disconnecting all other phones that are sharing the line and try again.

dEthANGeL said:
For prolink i'm not sure. For speedstream / alcatel / cisco systems .. there is a page for you to check your attenuation.

Best is if you make alot of noise to SNBB tech support say line drop/line lags/line this line that... speed slow etc etc... they'll definitely send a linesman down to your place to do diagnostics.

Do note that the minute they step into your home and find that the problem is on your part, you'll need to pay. IF its their problem (old line or problem within their own infrastructure, then its free.)

Try connecting the modem directly to the phone point, disconnecting all other phones that are sharing the line and try again.

My Prolink has attenuation page also. How to tell the signal is strong from the page? Any guideline?

s2s1 said:
My Prolink has attenuation page also. How to tell the signal is strong from the page? Any guideline?

Main thing you should take note that any attenuation > 28 db is bad and unacceptable. You have to see whether your CRC error count is high (no. of CRC error counts comparing to the uptime)

Hope this helps.

Oh... I think my CRC is very high?! Attenuation very bad??!!

These are the info copied from my modem.

Line State: SHOWTIME
Modulation: G.dmt
Annex Mode: ANNEX_A
Startup Attempts: 11
Max Tx Power: -38 dBm/Hz
CO Vendor: GLOBESPAN
Elaspsed Time: 6 days 14 hours 5 minutes 28 seconds

---------------------Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin(dB)----------7.7-------13.0
Line Attenuation(dB)----48.9-------31.5
Errored Seconds-------36229------418
Loss of Signal-----------10--------10
Loss of Frame------------0---------0
CRC Errors-------------1349--------4
Data Rate(kbps)-------1856-------640
Latency---------------FAST------FAST

Any problem you can tell from table above? Should I send this to Singnet support? FYI, I nvm off my modem (24/7).

s2s1 said:
Oh... I think my CRC is very high?! Attenuation very bad??!!

These are the info copied from my modem.

Line State: SHOWTIME
Modulation: G.dmt
Annex Mode: ANNEX_A
Startup Attempts: 11
Max Tx Power: -38 dBm/Hz
CO Vendor: GLOBESPAN
Elaspsed Time: 6 days 14 hours 5 minutes 28 seconds

---------------------Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin(dB)----------7.7-------13.0
Line Attenuation(dB)----48.9-------31.5
Errored Seconds-------36229------418
Loss of Signal-----------10--------10
Loss of Frame------------0---------0
CRC Errors-------------1349--------4
Data Rate(kbps)-------1856-------640
Latency---------------FAST------FAST

Any problem you can tell from table above? Should I send this to Singnet support? FYI, I nvm off my modem (24/7).

Think you've got a valid case.. its time to call up SN and complain. Your attenuation is very bad for both upstream and down. If they refuse, then just bulshit to them your error count is very high... either way, your attenuation is very bad.

dEthANGeL said:
Think you've got a valid case.. its time to call up SN and complain. Your attenuation is very bad for both upstream and down. If they refuse, then just bulshit to them your error count is very high... either way, your attenuation is very bad.

Ok. I'll write an email to them.
Thank you!

When I log my complaint online, I tried Singtel self-diagnostic web.
http://www.singnet.com.sg/technical/helptools/

The result I get not bad, 328kbps (I'm using 512kbps unlimited).
If you use 512kbps unlimited also, plz test ur speed from link above and share me ur result.

s2s1 said:
When I log my complaint online, I tried Singtel self-diagnostic web.
http://www.singnet.com.sg/technical/helptools/

The result I get not bad, 328kbps (I'm using 512kbps unlimited).
If you use 512kbps unlimited also, plz test ur speed from link above and share me ur result.

328 is poor.

You should be getting about more than 512K for local traffic. I'm not on SNBB ... Its better if you call them up and complain .. emails nowadays are useless especially with SNBB :p

ya ur line has a problem. but my singnet lags high heaven on weekends to the extend often, i cant even login! for today it keeps lagging. i tried playing games, it disconnects me like 50 times. all too common, but i dont have prob with pacnet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.